BillBonJovi
MitchyMill

Ronald McDonald is a Bad mascot for McDonalds

BillBonJovi

BillBonJovi

Pro

This debate is about the fast food restaurant McDonald's, well known mascot Ronald McDonald.

Pictured here: http://www.bemagazine.org...

I will argue that Ronald McDonald is unsatisfactory and a bad choice of a mascot for McDonald's and could be replaced with something better. However my opponent will have to do the opposite, and argue that Ronald McDonald is satisfactory and a good choice of a mascot for McDonald's to have.

I am going to make 1 simple rule in this debate which is that Round 1 is JUST for introductions. I and my opponent will start arguing in the second round.

I am BillBonJovi and I wish my opponent the best of luck.
MitchyMill

Con

Well, I'm not sure what's so bad about him. Clowns are associated with being fun, silly, and friendly. Which are all things that children enjoy. His costume is bright and inviting, and he is typically plying with kids in his commercials. All of these seem to be good. I don't know what else would be better, most mascots that appeal to younger audiences tend to be what i listed above.

Either the company won't replace Ronald McDonald because he's been identified with the company since it first opened, or they feel he is a successful mascot. I think it is both.
BillBonJovi

Pro

I thank my opponent for accepting this debate but unfortunately I think my opponent has broken the rule I made in the first round by making a small defence in favour of Ronald McDonald. However I will start my argument...

Facts that I think make Ronald McDonald unsatisfactory and a bad choice of a mascot for McDonald's and could be replaced with something better are:

1. He is a Clown

There is a phobia that people can suffer from, and it is called "Coulrophobia" and is an abnormal or exaggerated fear of clowns. Symptoms can range from high anxiety to outright panic attacks around people in clown outfits or other bizarre attire and make-up... just like Ronald McDonald. [1]

Coulrophobia is very common...one of the top 30 most common specific phobias. SavioDSilva asked over 10 Thousand people in over 20 different countries about what they fear most and these are their answers. The people that took part in this massive survey came from all over the world and fear of clowns got ranked at number 22. [2]

Clearly the existence of Coulrophobia and its status as one of the top 30 most common specific phobias makes Ronald McDonald an unsatisfactory and a bad choice of a mascot for McDonalds when they could have a mascot when McDonalds could have something that is not known to spark any phobias at all.

Also Coulrophobia is most commonly found in children. For a child, a clown can be an imposing and unusual figure. Researchers at the University of Sheffield found that clowns are universally disliked by children when they began examining how to improve the decor of a local children's hospital.

The study was reported in the Nursing Standard magazine and displayed a poll of 250 children between the ages of four and sixteen. All 250 children were patients of the hospital's children's ward. The poll concluded that all 250 patients disliked clowns, even the older children. [3]

Yet again this makes Ronald McDonald an unsatisfactory and a bad choice of a mascot for McDonalds, because Ronald McDonald is more usually used for activities with children who come for parties and other things at McDonalds.

2. McDonald's reputation is ridiculed because of Ronald

The definition of ridicule in this case is language or behaviour intended to humiliate or mock [4]

It's true he is the most well known mascot in the world but that doesn't make him an ideal choice at all. The truth is Ronald McDonald is arguable the most ridiculed mascot in the world because of his clown, childish, silly and immature characteristics and this is bad for the company's reputation.

For example the comedy website "Uncyclopedia" made jokes about Ronald McDonald being a paedophile saying the following:

"In 1972, McDonald was said to have taken a 1 year old boy with him to his house. Days past, and the kid was never heard from again. By 1974, over 500 children have disappeared, as many were concerned. People began thinking McDonald was the suspect, as he had not come out of his house ever since the day the one child went missing. When the FBI came in to his house, 3 children were found getting raped by McDonald. McDonald was sentenced to prison for 5 years, with charges of child molesting. While McDonald was in prison, Reggie McDonald would take his place as the McDonald's mascot. Ronald would later go on a killing spree that lasted many years." [5]

And also jokes about him being a psychopath saying the following:

"Starting 1980, McDonald began murdering anybody over the age of 18. He created a special costume that had a cup covering his nose, and a tray on his head that carried an arsenal weapons. Ronald met a mouse one day. He was named Chuck E. Cheese. The two became good friends. Quite good. By 1981, Cheese was seduced on McDonald's side, as the two were in a clown car, shooting anybody over 18 randomly." [6]

The fact that McDonald's mascot is highly Ridiculed like shown above means the McDonalds Company itself is humiliated or mocked. People who work at McDonalds can end up being ridiculed by friends and family for working for McDonalds.

Evidence I have seen to support this is that there are numerous Facebook groups that Ridicule Ronald McDonald saying he either a paedophile or killer, and hundreds of people have joined the groups. [7][8]

This means it's logical that the people who joined the groups could ridicule people they may know who work at McDonalds. McDonald's reputation could be more respected if they could come up with some other mascot that is not a clown, childish, silly and have immature characteristics.

I will end my first round here and I will post some more facts in my further rounds.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[2] http://www.saviodsilva.net...
[3] http://www.digitaljournal.com...
[4] http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
[5] http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com...
[6] http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com...
[7] http://www.facebook.com...
[8] http://www.facebook.com...
MitchyMill

Con

Sorry about my mistake

Anyway,

I agree for the most part about number 1, McDonald's could have picked a mascot that doesn't spark any known phobias when they first opened. However, I'm assuming that McDonald's influences for keeping the Clown mascot despite the evidence of phobia, is that they must think that the money is would cost to change a mascot for a multi-billion dollar company, far outweighs appealing to people who fear clowns. What Ronald represents to the company (again, I'm guessing the company's motives) is their original idea of an affordable family-friendly restaurant, rather than what it is today. Even if the Coulrophobic crowd thinks otherwise. To put in my own opinion, i am going to trust that if McDonald's knew that Ronald was so unfavored by customers that it was costing it profits to the point where changing their mascot, they would. McDonald's probably has the best financial advisers in the world.

To move on to number 2, considering that McDonald's is a Global company. Known for supposedly causing obesity, trashing lands, killing cows, and even has documentaries criticizing it (i.e. Morgan Spurlock's "Super-size Me"). So i feel that Ronald's role in McDonald's reputation is small compared to what a listed.

"It's true he is the most well known mascot in the world but that doesn't make him an ideal choice at all. The truth is Ronald McDonald is arguable the most ridiculed mascot in the world because of his clown, childish, silly and immature characteristics and this is bad for the company's reputation."

I feel that he is the most ridiculed mascot in the world not only what i listed above but because he is the "most well known mascot in the world". The criticisms of McDonald's are due to it's actions, Ronald (since he represents McDonald's) is inevitably going to be the symbol of this. Changing him does not seem likely to change consequences of McDonald's past actions, it would probably just cost them more money, and effort.
BillBonJovi

Pro

In response to my opponent's second round, he first said:

"I'm assuming that McDonald's influences for keeping the Clown mascot despite the evidence of phobia, is that they must think that the money is would cost to change a mascot for a multi-billion dollar company, far outweighs appealing to people who fear clowns."

REBUTTAL: My opponent has failed to provide any evidence to support that theory, and I think it should be relatively easy for a ‘multi-billion dollar' company to be able to afford to change a mascot.

Evidence I know that it should easy and affordable to replace Ronald is that Ronald McDonald is already barely used in relation to any of McDonald products. I searched through the about McDonald's website, located at: http://www.aboutmcdonalds.com...

And I couldn't find anything about Ronald McDonald on it at all. It seemed that McDonald's is more interested in using its company logo rather its own mascot. So because of the company's rare use of Ronald McDonald suggests that the company should be able to afford replacing or ending its mascot very well.

Even if anyone was to find anything on Ronald McDonald on that website I doubt it would be enough to suggest Ronald McDonald is used enough.

My opponent then went on to say:

"What Ronald represents to the company (again, I'm guessing the company's motives) is their original idea of an affordable family-friendly restaurant, rather than what it is today. Even if the Coulrophobic crowd thinks otherwise. To put in my own opinion, i am going to trust that if McDonald's knew that Ronald was so unfavored by customers that it was costing it profits to the point where changing their mascot, they would. McDonald's probably has the best financial advisers in the world."

REBUTTAL: My point is that removing this Coulrophobic problem should increase McDonald's profits and reputation. It's always better to make Improvements and I'm sure we can all agree on that.

In response to my opponent's response on reputation being ridiculed fact, he said:

"To move on to number 2, considering that McDonald's is a Global company. Known for supposedly causing obesity, trashing lands, killing cows, and even has documentaries criticizing it (i.e. Morgan Spurlock's "Super-size Me"). So i feel that Ronald's role in McDonald's reputation is small compared to what a listed."

REBUTTAL: Yet again I reuse my previous argument, it's always better to make Improvements. My opponent is still not providing any information that Ronald McDonald is ‘good' but only acceptable.

Finally my opponent said:

"The criticisms of McDonald's are due to it's actions, Ronald (since he represents McDonald's) is inevitably going to be the symbol of this. Changing him does not seem likely to change consequences of McDonald's past actions, it would probably just cost them more money, and effort."

REBUTTAL: Indeed changing Ronald would not really change consequences of McDonald's past actions like causing obesity, trashing lands and killing so many cows, but this debate is not about "McDonald's past actions". This debate is about removing Ronald McDonald or not. My argument is that removing Ronald will be good for McDonalds.

I will end my second round there and I don't feel need to state any more anti-Ronald McDonald facts right now.
MitchyMill

Con

Oh wow, i wasn't aware that Ronald's image was used so infrequently. I should have researched. I was just arguing from the point of view of the company. So i could guess why they wouldn't change it if he's such a bad mascot. I assumed that the benefit from changing the mascot wasn't worth the cost of modifying all of their products, since they haven't changed him at all. I can't think of any excuse why they wouldn't change him if it actually is more profitable (both in respect and money). Since McDonald's is so successful, i assumed they had a crack team of advisers who've talked about this issue before. From what you're telling me they seem to be shutting Ronald out instead of changing him. I completely agree that's not better than modifying him to try to hinder anymore Ronald publicity. I haven't even been to a McDonald's in over a year since i started eating more carefully, if i was aware of these facts i probably wouldn't have taken the debate. Oh well, my mistake. Good arguments, i really enjoyed this!

Maybe they'll change Ronald to a Frog or something.
BillBonJovi

Pro

Well there are a lot of better alternatives than using a clown as a mascot. My opponent suggested a frog and I think a frog is great idea.

Three alternatives to a clown like Ronald McDonald I now know are:

1.A frog
2.An elephant
3.A star

Again I will mention that SavioDSilva asked over 10 Thousand people in over 20 different countries about what they fear most and these are their answers. The people that took part in this massive survey came from all over the world and fear of frogs, elephants and stars did not appear as phobias at all. [1]

Very good thinking MitchyMill

It's unknown why McDonalds still use Ronald McDonald. Possible reasons could be because they haven't noticed how bad he is or that they can't be bothered to remove him, we may never know for sure. If McDonalds see this debate they may change Ronald McDonald to a frog after all.

However judging from my opponent's last round it appears he conceded defeat in this debate, so I ask voters to vote PRO.

I thank you very much MitchyMill for being part of this debate, it's been nice to meet you and maybe soon we will see the end of Ronald McDonald.

There is just one question I would like to ask you MitchyMill, out of Ronald McDonald, The King and Colonel Sanders which one would you prefer to have as your mascot if you had to choose one of them?

[1] http://www.saviodsilva.net...
MitchyMill

Con

I'm not going to be professional anymore, and i wouldn't choose any of them. Personally i would want some completely random mascot to represent a company i had, for the sake of humor lol.

Anyway, Vote for my opponent
Posted by BillBonJovi 6 years ago
BillBonJovi
fyi, i'm voting for myself so nothing sneakey happens near the end of the voting period. MitchyMill, please do the same...
Vote Placed by BillBonJovi 6 years ago
BillBonJovi
BillBonJoviMitchyMillTied
Vote Placed by rogue 6 years ago
rogue
BillBonJoviMitchyMillTied
Vote Placed by SuperRobotWars 6 years ago
SuperRobotWars
BillBonJoviMitchyMillTied