left_wing_mormon
HadenQuinlan

Rush Limbaugh should be fired

left_wing_mormon

Pro

"Get the bone out of your nose..." -- Rush Limbaugh to a black caller on his radio show.

...And Don Imus was fired?...
HadenQuinlan

Con

Thanks, Left_wing_mormon for starting this debate. As I am con I will not open with a case of my own, I'll allow my opponent the opening statement.
left_wing_mormon

Pro

Thank you for accepting, and best of luck to you.

When Imus uttered the words "...nappy-headed hoes..." when refering to a college basketball team (by the way, they were black) I rolled my eyes and was disgusted as many others were. However, I never expected him to loose his job! People yelled "Hate Speech" and "Racism" so as a result Imus was fired.

I didn't know how I felt. I was happy that he was disiplined, but when compared to other talk show hosts, was it worth loosing his job? This leads me to my point. Rush Limbaugh should be fired.

Telling a black caller to take the bone out of their nose, or stateing that the only reason McNabb is a good football player is because he is black, or asking "Isn't it strange that the majority of mugshots look like Jesse Jackson?"

My opponet here has to defend why Rush Limbaugh should not be taken off the air. It is remarkable to me, that this is still just a debate, and not reality....
HadenQuinlan

Con

My opponents entire case addresses the fact that because Rush Limbaugh has made some seemingly prejudiced (not racist, please clear this definition) comments, he deserves to be fired from the air. Now this case uses should, and it seems that the only point my opponent has is that Rush Limbaugh has made 3 bigoted or prejudiced comments. So let's examine that.

As my opponents sole argument is that Rush has made racist claims, keep in mind if I show how this does not mean he should be fired, you must vote Con.

First off, let's look at what moral implications Rush's statement have. I'd like to point out the first amendment of the bill of rights,

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; _or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press_; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

So we see that Rush clearly has the RIGHT to say what he wants, and the right to broadcast his show. Also, Rush's comments put no moral strain upon anyone else. The strain of Rush's comments falls to Rush, so firing him would not redeem the immoral comments made. Furthermore, in the United States we accept that all men are equal. All men are equal regardless of opinion, and firing Rush would simply say, "Your opinion is not equal because we don't agree with it." Rush has right by the law, and he right by the premise of equality to continue on air.

The only deciding factor which should determine whether Rush be fired or not is if he lacks support behind this issue, or if he lacks viewers. According to:
http://www.mondostars.com...

"By 2007 The Rush Limbaugh Show had amassed an audience of around 13.5 million listeners each week. He is received by more listeners than any other radio show nationwide. "

Rush Limbaugh should be fired if his viewers reflect that, his viewers do not reflect that, as he's got over 13million listeners.

Let's address the comments you've given:

As a young broadcaster in the 1970s, Limbaugh once told a black caller: "Take that bone out of your nose and call me back." A decade ago, after becoming nationally syndicated, he mused on the air: "Have you ever noticed how all composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson?

Over a span of some 30 years in broadcasting he's made two racist comments. Don Imus on the other hand, has made scores of racist, bigoted comments, so I think we must examine the background. Rush has had some things slip, however look at the audience he's appealing to. Jeff Cohen has something to say on this, "That's not an unusual response for a talk radio host playing to an audience of "angry white males." You see, Rush Limbaugh is appealing to a specific audience by using these comments once every, 15-20 years? This is not grounds to be fired, people say things and let things slip all the time. This is grounds for a slap on the wrist and telling him to stop, which apparently he's kept himself fairly well in check.

So, look at the reasons to fire a talk-show host.

1) Lack of people's support.

Rush obviously has that.

2) A history of bigoted comments.

Rush does NOT have that, he has only made 3 (allegedly, all I could find info one were the two) over a time span of some 30-40 years in broadcasting.

3) He breaks the law.

Rush is perfectly within constitutional right to say what he wants, and is upholding the ideal of equality by expressing his own opinion. Telling him that his opinion is wrong would be contrary to the value of equality. *NOTE, I AM NOT SAYING HATE-CRIMES SHOULD BE LEGAL OR ANYTHING* What I'm saying is, in the United States we are free, and to be truly free you must be able to express your opinion. Rush Limbaugh can have his own opinion, he can be bigoted because that's his RIGHT. If he were to hang a man upon this opinion, that's when we can interject. Until then, he's perfectly fine.

I urge a Con ballot.
left_wing_mormon

Pro

Interesting...
1) Lack of people's support.

Rush obviously has that.

2) A history of bigoted comments.

3) He breaks the law.

*******************************************************************
Ok so I think you either don't know who Rush Limbaugh is, or you're confusing him with some one else. I will concede to #1. He has the support from his listeners. But #2, do I really need to go down the line of every racial, sexist, and bigoted statement he has made? Come on. #3, I guess I can't bring up his illegal drug use, even thoguh that was breaking the law and anyone else would loose their jobs if they were caught with oxycotton...

This is Rush and I now that the 1 admendment is protecting him. I am only comparing Imus and that situation to Rush. Just recently I would say the song entitled "Barrack the magic Negro" Would get anyone else on radio fired or at least dislpined...http://www.alternet.org...

So do you think Imus really deserves what he got? I don't. But since he is fired and there is nothing we can do, There should be equal punishment across the board. That is my point. And you can not say, honestly, that Rush Limbaugh has no past of offensive statements. I don't care how long ago or how recent his statements are, he should be held to the same standards as Imus. Thats all.
HadenQuinlan

Con

I'll address your statements first...

"I will concede to #1. He has the support from his listeners."

I've won my first point.

"#2, do I really need to go down the line of every racial, sexist, and bigoted statement he has made? Come on."

As your case is contingent upon it, you do. Audience, judges, look. In a real debate, we must judge not on false accusations or wild speculation, we must judge solely on facts and logic. The statements my opponent are making require facts to be brought up. I've addressed all the facts he's brought up and he has not brought up any more. I'll quote my 2nd speech in order to help clarify this point:

"3, I guess I can't bring up his illegal drug use, even thoguh that was breaking the law and anyone else would loose their jobs if they were caught with oxycotton..."

He was addicted to prescription pain killers, which is as illegal as me being addicted to playing soccer. (http://en.wikipedia.org...)

So... what're we left with? We're looking at what SHOULD happen, and 'because Imus got fired' is not substantial backing for SHOULD. That's about the same level of justification as, "he told me to do it!". As you stated, "So do you think Imus really deserves what he got? I don't". You don't believe Don Imus should've been fired. By that same logic, Rush Limbaugh shouldn't be fired.

Let's recap. My opponent has conceded to my first contention, refuted my second contention with no evidence whatsoever and has made false claims to try and rebut my 3rd contention. Overall, he's done a poor job of proving any statement I've made wrong. He's also agreed that, "This is Rush and I [k]now that the 1 admendment is protecting him.". He's perfectly within constitutional right, as my opponent has agreed. So we see that there is no reason to fire Rush Limbaugh, in fact, my opponent's only argument for WHY is because, "Don Imus was fired." Finally, the choice of him being fired mainly comes up to the company he's employed by. If the company allows Rush Limbaugh to continue broadcasting there is no argument for him not. As you can clearly see, his company allows him to continue his work, therefore your argument, as it stands, is inconclusive based off of falsifications and little to no evidence.

Judges, it is your job to vote for the right debater. I urge you, vote Con.
Posted by HadenQuinlan 9 years ago
HadenQuinlan
wooooooooooooh no information during the round means nobody should vote for you!

Next time if you include it into your round you'd do much better.
Posted by shwayze 9 years ago
shwayze
"This is from Barrack Obamas speech "A More Perfect Nation" where he talks about his pastor:
"Did I ever hear him make remarks that could be considered controversial while I sat in church? Yes. Did I strongly disagree with many of his political views? Absolutely"

You libs love to forget that the night before the speech, Obama was interviewed by Major Garrett on Fox News and said the exact opposite. He said he never heard any of Wright's controversial statements. He is a straight up liar and he somehow gets a pass on it:
Posted by left_wing_mormon 9 years ago
left_wing_mormon
Coolink-

This is from Barrack Obamas speech "A More Perfect Nation" where he talks about his pastor:

To read full text of Obamas speech: http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

You said: "rush is comapertivly alone he is one of a few conservitives fighting in a liberal world i.e. fox and cnn. He has shown america what others have hidden"

Sean Hannity, Michael Savage, Bill O'Reilly, Ann Coulter, Glenn Beck, and plenty others are all very succesful right-wing talk show hosts and yet you say Rush Limbaugh is alone? And Fox is liberal? since when?
Posted by cooljpk 9 years ago
cooljpk
Barack Obama agreed with his pastor quote "i respect and belive in my pastor political views he inspired me to be more" and he listened to the guy for 20 years Barack is a black raciest who will destroy america.

law breaker or not you nor any american nor congress can constitutionally silence him.

rush is comapertivly alone he is one of a few conservitives fighting in a liberal world i.e. fox and cnn. He has shown america what others have hidden

i wish/pray for more like him....

and yes i'm mormon
Posted by left_wing_mormon 9 years ago
left_wing_mormon
Getting Oxycotton: http://opioids.com...

Unprescribed Viagra: http://www.cbsnews.com...

Dominican Republic and Under aged Prostitution: http://www.ecpat.net...
Posted by HadenQuinlan 9 years ago
HadenQuinlan
Without any source your information holds as much weight as me claiming that you're a 25 foot tall dinosaur made out of cotton-candy.
Posted by left_wing_mormon 9 years ago
left_wing_mormon
actually it was illeagal oxycotton that Rush sent his maid to score in the inner city, and he was caught again with unprescribed viagra in an airport on his way to the Dominican Republic known for it's underaged prostiution. So unless you are comparing playing soccer to using illegal drugs, you might want to rephrase.
Posted by JasonMc 9 years ago
JasonMc
Though I consider myself to be a conservative, I think Rush Limbaugh does a dis-service to America, and would love to see him fired. Furthermore, I think he should be sentenced to fifteen years in the electric chair and later hung. That said, I voted con because he had the superior argument.
Posted by HadenQuinlan 9 years ago
HadenQuinlan
Did Barack Obama say racist comments, or his pastor? Let's not be COMPLETELY RETARDED, shall we?
Posted by shwayze 9 years ago
shwayze
all you libs, explain this to me:

how is it that Barack Obama immediately called for the firing of Don Imus over one comment in a rather spotless and clean record, yet he doesnt blink an eye when his pastor has spewed this racist vitriol FROM THE PUGH for 20 years?

Barack Obama is full of double standards.
Vote Placed by Phoebe 9 years ago
Phoebe
left_wing_mormonHadenQuinlanTied
Vote Placed by dave23456 9 years ago
dave23456
left_wing_mormonHadenQuinlanTied
Vote Placed by colbert4prez 9 years ago
colbert4prez
left_wing_mormonHadenQuinlanTied
Vote Placed by griffinisright 9 years ago
griffinisright
left_wing_mormonHadenQuinlanTied
Vote Placed by Renzzy 9 years ago
Renzzy
left_wing_mormonHadenQuinlanTied
Vote Placed by Oolon_Colluphid 9 years ago
Oolon_Colluphid
left_wing_mormonHadenQuinlanTied
Vote Placed by cooljpk 9 years ago
cooljpk
left_wing_mormonHadenQuinlanTied
Vote Placed by left_wing_mormon 9 years ago
left_wing_mormon
left_wing_mormonHadenQuinlanTied
Vote Placed by Derek.Gunn 9 years ago
Derek.Gunn
left_wing_mormonHadenQuinlanTied
Vote Placed by eweb53 9 years ago
eweb53
left_wing_mormonHadenQuinlanTied