sash_OKC
shneeba

Russell Westbrook...asset or burden?

Started: 4/29/2014 Category: Sports

sash_OKC

Pro

Some people have begun to say that Russell Westbrook is a burden to the Oklahoma Thunder but in reality he is the glue that keeps them together. That was made evident last season during the semi-final playoff games when he had to stop playing due to an injury. Without him the started to fall apart; no one stepped up to pick up the slack. When he finally returned everything came together and they were playing like their old selves again. However, Westbrook went out again this season and yet again they were having problems without him. The words "ball hog" and "selfish" have been thrown around in relation to Westbrook's name as well. He simply puts the team on his back when he knows they need a momentum changer during a game. I would much rather have the ball in Westbrook's hands; he is confident, smart and a great ball handler. When times get tough and a play needs to executed or a crucial shot needs to be made to turn the game around I don't want the ball in someone's hand that is not so confident, and has weak ball handling skills. Numbers don't lie; Russell Westbrook is a great asset to the Oklahoma Thunder.
shneeba

Con

I accept this because I feel extremly strongly about the FACT on how Westbrook ensures that the Thunder will never win a championship with him at the point. Your comments above are completley false as the thunder did not "fall apart" this season when Westbrook went down to injury, in fact they thrived and went 22-8 and we were able to see an unrestricted Durant do absolute work and show why he is the clear cut MVP. His playoff play is actually much worse then his regular season play as he averages 5 turnovers per game and shoots a digusting 19% from three and 35% from the floor while the best scorer of this generation sits and calls for the ball. I don't really have anything else to say I need to see your arguement on this

Also I'm watching grizz vs thunder and he makes me want to throw up
sash_OKC

Pro

Every season Westbrook has contributed and gotten better for the team. In his first season he averaged 20.6 points, 5.9 assists, and 6.1 rebound, which is great numbers for a rookie! Has a point guard points aren't that important he's there to execute plays and get the ball in the right person's hands each game. In his second season (which they finished 50-32) he averaged 8 assist; he was becoming a way better passer. He continued to improve with 21.9 points, 8.3 assists, 4.6 rebounds, and 1.9 steals a game his third year (which they finished 55-27). We can't forget this 11-12 season when they made it to the Finals against the Heat; Westbrook had a career high game 4 of 43 points, shooting 20/32. He ended 12-13 season averaging 23.2 points, 7.4 assist, and 5.2 rebounds a game. It proves a lot about him as a player when he stayed in game 2 of the playoffs against the Rockets and still finished with 29 points. Yes, the Thunder went on to beat the Rockets in 6 games but when it came to the Grizzlies they couldn't get it together. Without Westbrook to help Kevin Durant make plays and get the ball to him they just could not get it together. Perhaps if Reggie Jackson would have stepped up just maybe would they have a chance because they still had the experience in Fisher, post presence with Ibaka, Perkins, and Collison. And coming back from an injury is really tough, I know I've experienced my fair share. But even after a second surgery before this season he came back to have 8 triple-doubles! As far as turnovers go, his a point guard his going to have turnover, it just happens. Even Kevin Durant has turnovers, actually in games 3, and 5 Durant had more turnovers than Westbrook. My point is Westbrook is there to set the tone of the game, make plays, and put the ball in the right person's hands. You can deny that he is a great player and he is an asset to the Thunder. The Thunder can't just solely rely on Durant, eventually he might get hurt then what? Westbrook tries to alleviate some of the pressure off Durant. Even in an off night from Durant and Westbrook they still won game 4, thanks to Reggie Jackson though. Westbrook wouldn't need to be so aggressive if more players like Jackson, Shefelosha, or even Lamb if he was allowed to play would step up.
And I agree at the moment I am very angry at how this Grizz vs Thunder series is going but I still call OKC in 7!!
shneeba

Con

shneeba forfeited this round.
sash_OKC

Pro

I guess this series had a great outcome!! Westbrook had a great game triple double(27 points, 16 assist, and 10 rebounds). He shoot 10-16 fg., 2-2 3p.,5-6 ft., with 2 st., and I have to note he did have 7 to. but what point guard doesn't have turnovers in a game. And as of now he's averaging 21.8 points, 5.7 rebounds, and 6.9 assist a game. Although, he did have a few bad games, it happens, he had an average series against the Grizzly team. Game 7 became his second triple double of this series; that should show even having just an okay game play in this series he can still contribute to the team.
shneeba

Con

shneeba forfeited this round.
sash_OKC

Pro

The second series has started and yes they got off to a bad start loosing the first game of this series. But Westbrook still had 29 points shooting 9 for 14 from the field. The second game of this series however Westbrook had yet another triple-double, (31 points, 10 rebounds, and 10 assist) even though that last assist was very questionable. He shot13-22 from the field and what do you know he only had 4 turnovers! Their second game play probably has a lot to do with Kevin Durant getting the MVP award but they still got the win and Westbrook had yet another great game.
shneeba

Con

I unfortunately have nothing to say anymore about how Westbrook is a stupid player so instead let's watch how this playoffs and his career goes from here as I guarantee they will not beat the clippers nor will Westbrook ever win a championship

Also the nba rigged the grizzles thunder series and I will forever hate Adam silver
sash_OKC

Pro

Numbers don't lie! If he was a stupid player Scott Brooks would not play him. Instead he would start and play Reggie Jackson a lot more but he knows how much of an asset Russell Westbrook is to the team. And this series might be a real challenge for the Thunder but we'll see.
shneeba

Con

shneeba forfeited this round.
Posted by sash_OKC 3 years ago
sash_OKC
You're up!!
Posted by shneeba 3 years ago
shneeba
Ahhh I didn't know I was up!!!