Atrag
AaronDIJ

Russia's so-called 'anti-gay law' does not significantly violate the rights of homosexuals.

Atrag

Pro

This debate concerns paragraph 6.21 to the Russian code of Administrative Violations. Here is a full translation of the paragraph:

"6.21. Propaganda of non - traditional sexual relationships among minors.

1. Propaganda of non - traditional sexual relationships among minors, expressed in the dissimation of information aimed at forming non - traditional sexual attitudes among minors, attractiveness of non - traditional sexual relationships, distorted image of social equality of traditional and non-traditional sexual relationships, or the imposition of information about non - traditional sexual relations, which can attract interest to such relations, if these actions do not make up a criminal offence, -

shall entail the imposition of an administrative fine in the amount of 4000 to 5000 rubles for citizens; in the amount of 40 000 to 50 000 rubles for oficials; and in the amount of 800 000 to 1000 000 rubles for organizations, which can in the latter case be replaced by suspension of activity for up to 90 days.

2. Actions provided for by paragraph 1 of this Article, committed with the use of the media and (or) information and telecommunication networks (including network "Internet"),if these actions do not make up a criminal offense, -
shall entail the imposition of an administrative fine on citizens in the amount of 50 000 to one 100 000 rubles; for officials - from 1000000 to 200000 rubles; for legal entities - 1000 000 rubles or administrative suspension of activity for up to 90 days.

3. Actions provided for by paragraph 1 of this Article, committed by a foreign national or a stateless person, if these actions do not make up a criminal offense, -
shall be punishable by a fine of 4000 to 5000 rubles followed by administrative expulsion from the Russian Federation or administrative arrest for up to 15 days followed by expulsion from the Russian Federation.

4. Actions provided for by paragraph 1 of this Article, committed by a foreign national or a stateless person with the use of the media and (or) information and telecommunication networks (including network "Internet") if these actions do not make up a criminal offense, -
shall be punishable by a fine of 50 000 to one 100 000 rubles followed by administrative expulsion from the Russian Federation or administrative arrest for up to 15 days followed by administrative expulsion from the Russian Federation."

First round acceptance.
AaronDIJ

Con

True the Russian "anti-gay law" does not pose a significant threat to the rights of homosexuals in Russian yet it does pose an obstacle that can not simply be avoided. Homosexuality may to many seem like a choice a choice to be and actions that can be posed as sexual activity. I do not believe in homosexuality, nor am I a homophobe. Yet I do belief that every individual is entitled to a freedom of choice be it position or negative. It is still a choice. Yet this new law does create a parameter for those many homosexuals in Russia. Never only does it state the fines one may face yet it also states the criminal offenses that quote on quote states : besides the criminal offenses that may be charged. So besides the economical repercussions but also an individuals family name may be disturbed especially when jail time is included to t list of offenses, be it citizen or official, or even a foreigner.
Atrag

Pro

""True the Russian "anti-gay law" does not pose a significant threat to the rights of homosexuals in Russian yet it does pose an obstacle that can not simply be avoided". "

My opponent has conceded the debate in the very first sentence. Somewhat frustrated I'm forced to conclude that as we are in agreement this debate is concluded.
AaronDIJ

Con

True in my first sentence I had stated that the anti-gay laws in Russia pose no significant threat to the rights entitled to homosexual couples, yet it does pose some sort of threat, a threat that simply cant be set aside. In my comments I did state that: just for the fact of debating....on the situation of gay rights . On which earlier I did state that I am no advocate against or for it; just a mediator who knows the struggles from religious aspects as well as social ideals. The anti-gay laws in Russia really effect two specific groups : Foreigners and Govt. Officials and to them these laws do have a much more significant impact than those of the average day to day citizens. In the Russian anti-gay law it states :

For Foreigners:
"....if these actions do not make up a criminal offense, -

and for Govt. Officials :

"in the amount of 40 000 to 50 000 rubles for officials....which can in the latter case be replaced by suspension of activity for up to 90 days."

So for any homosexuals that are not Russian Citizens are entitled by the Government to pay up to 100,00 rubles that is if they are not tried for criminal offenses and immediate detainment for 15 days and expulsion with no entry back into Russia. And officials that are not tried in criminal offenses are fined up to 50,000 rubles and later suspended , without pay that is, for 90 days.
Now lets get into further details the meaning of a criminal offense. What is considered a criminal offense? Murder, Theft, Larceny, Espionage, and Genocide. Now consider yourself in the shoes a homosexual individual caught in Russia; next to you you would find yourselves charged for crimes similar to those of the punishments of Murder and etc. All for the sake of your homosexuality one that at times can not be changed. As humans we are all entitled to a choice, a choice of freedom no matter where you are and no matter what your situation may be, as long as you can live with yourself and can be answerable to GOD , you are allowed to do as you please. However the moment you are questioned for an act that is lawful to the general public, that is when we all as a intellectual human beings must conjure to evaluate the impact that this law poses on the rights of not only homosexuals but also to the concerned individuals of our society
Atrag

Pro

Firstly, promoting homosexuality in Russia is not a criminal offence, but rather an administrative offence. Similarly to getting a parking ticket. If you committed this offence you would not 'find yourselves charged for crimes similar to those of the punishments of Murder and etc' but rather an administrative fine.

"As humans we are all entitled to a choice, a choice of freedom no matter where you are and no matter what your situation may be, as long as you can live with yourself and can be answerable to GOD" you are allowed to do as you please. "

You can technically do what you want in any country. This is true. However, you cannot be expect not to be punished for something if it is against the law.

"However the moment you are questioned for an act that is lawful to the general public..."

The fact is that it is not lawful in Russia. In the USA, it is illegal for channels to broadcast overly violent or sexual imagery before the water-shed. If broadcasting companies do this then they receive a fine and suspension of activity. This is the same as in Russia but they have chosen to not allow images that promote homosexuality. They have also extended it to individuals too; that they cannot promote homosexuality in schools for example.
AaronDIJ

Con

AaronDIJ forfeited this round.
Atrag

Pro

Extend arguments.
AaronDIJ

Con

AaronDIJ forfeited this round.
Atrag

Pro

Vote pro!
AaronDIJ

Con

AaronDIJ forfeited this round.
Posted by AaronDIJ 3 years ago
AaronDIJ
I hope I answered your question in my argument Atrag. I just posted it in debate round 2
Posted by Atrag 3 years ago
Atrag
Aaron. You've completely ruined what could have been a interesting debate. If you weren't willing to present an argument against me then why did you accept it??
Posted by AaronDIJ 3 years ago
AaronDIJ
don't get me wrong i am not a supporter or advocate for gay rights but just for the fact of debating i chose to take this stand point and argue in favor.Though my true beliefs as a christian tell me otherwise.
Posted by Liberalismisinsanity 3 years ago
Liberalismisinsanity
Homosexualism should be illegal. Jesus loves all, but he hates it when the sanctity of marriage is destroyed by the wicked forces.
Posted by CatholicTraditionalist 3 years ago
CatholicTraditionalist
no gays in heaven