djones16
mightbenihilism

SNES Vs Genesis

mightbenihilism
Started: 10/31/2014 Category: Games

djones16

Pro

Hello this will be a short debate about which is better between the Super Ninendo and the Sega genesis, i will be on the side of the genesis and the first round will be acceptence the second round will be about saying why the SNES or Megadrive is better and the third round will be about countering the opponents points.
mightbenihilism

Con

I accept!

Shout outs to Captain Falcon, Dr. Stewart, Pico, Samurai Goroh, and the entire F-Zero crew,
Shrout outs to Mario, Luigi, Peach (aka Princess Toadstool), Yoshi, Toad, Bowser & Bowser Jr, my main mad man Wario, all the Koopas, the Goombas, Joe Pesci, Danny DeVito, Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino!
Shabazzabout outs to Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Junior, Diddy Kong, Cranky Kong, Funky Kong, Candy Kong, Dixie Kong, Wrinkly Kong, Tiny Kong, Chunky Kong, Kiddy Kong, Lanky Kong, Swanky Kong, Bluster Kong, Leo Luster, Dread Kong, Eddie the Mean Old Yeti, Karate Kong, Kong Fu, Ninja Kong and you just can't forget Sumo Kong!
Spout outs to Kirby Kirbeson and Samus Aran! King Dedede, Dark Matter, Nightmare, etc.
Trout outs to Fox McCloud, Falco Lombardi, Slippy Toad, Peppy Hare and Krystal!
Short outs to Crono, Marle, Lucca, Frog, Robo, Ayla, Magus, Lavos, Gurus, Schala, Dalton & Zeal!
And snout outs to all the SNES familia! La paix et un amour!
djones16

Pro

While there are alot of great games on the SNES, the genesis has alot of underrated games that are never mentioned nowadays, you can have Mario, the genesis has sonic, whose faster gameplay and better boss battles makes it a far more epic and fun game in my opinion. While the SNES owns the RPG market, i'm willing to accept that, the genesis has a lot of underrated RPGs which in some ways are better than what the SNES has to offer, including the phantasy star series, the incredible shining force series and beyond oasis makes the genesis lineup great. The genesis also has better multiplats, such as the batman and robin game, the aladdin game, castlevania bloodlines, the better contra game etc. If your into sports games the genesis is for you, with joe montana football, monaco and other great games. If you want action platformers the vectorman games on the genesis is for you, another underrated game on this system, as well as that there is columns the best puzzle game of the 16bit era in my opinion, there are also some arcade ports on the genesis not available on the SNES like altered beast and bonanza bros. As well as having the superior beat em ups with streets of rage and golden axe. THis is my argument as to why the genesis is better than the SNES i look forward to my opponents reply
mightbenihilism

Con

Why SNES is superior:

1. Sales:

Here is what we know in terms of the SNES's objective superiority:

Sales: SNES outsold the Genesis by 49.10 million units to 40 million units.

Clearly, public demand for the SNES was higher, and numbers don't lie.

In terms of games, Super Mario World sold 20.60 million to the Sonic the Hedgehog 1's 15 million.

The stats just go down hill from there. Objectively speaking, more people bought the Super Nintendo and its games over that of the Genesis.

2. Tech

Also, the SNES, coming out later, had the advantage of Super-ior (haha) technology over the Genesis:

http://web.ics.purdue.edu...

The Genesis beats the SNES in CPU speed, Internal ROM, Synthesizers, headphone output and backward compatibility, yet the SNES wins in RAM, Sound RAM, Audio, possibile colors (32,768 to 512), simultaneous colors possible (256 to 64), onscreen planes, maximum simultaneous sprites, maximum sprite size and display resolution. The only area the Gensis is superior to the SNES in terms of actual gameplay is in speed. Otherwise, the SNES wins every time. It is true that the Genesis was able to beef its system up with add-ons, but they were generally commercial flops, and I personally never knew anyone who actually had them.

Even if you take Sega CD and Sega 32x as counting as part of the "Sega Genesis", these were commercial flops, whereas the SNES itself was able to bend its technology to make such amazing games as the Donkey Kong SNES series, Mario RPG and Yoshi's Island.

3. The Pro's supporting evidence

Exhibit A: "you can have Mario, the genesis has sonic"
Rebut: It is true that the boss battles may be better on Sonic, and it is absolutely true that it is faster, but consider the boss battles of Super Metroid, in comparison. And Supermetroid is incredibly epic, as far as 16 bit games go. And what about the boss battles and epic nature of Megaman X-X3? This is a cartoon game which I would argue beats Sonic on almost all accounts except for "speed".

Exhibit C: Multiplats. It is true that some Genesis games were better, but it is not true in all cases. Killer Instict was far better on SNES than Genesis, as was Earthworm Jim and Street Fighter. Likely, for every game which was better on Genesis, there is another game on SNES to equal it out, if not exceed it. Yet the people's preference was for SNES as a whole.

Exhibit D: Sports games --- I have no idea on this one. However, what about racing games? Mario Cart (as a 2 player, not a single player) and F-Zero are simply the two best racing games of that era.

Exhibit E: Arcade games - maybe. I dunno. It's not enough to make it superior though.

Thanks for watching!
djones16

Pro

OK so round 3 will be about countering the others points
Sales
Just because a console has sold more than another it doesn't mean its the better console, for example the gamecube didn't sell as much as the original xbox but in my opinion it was the better console of the two. The SNES is the more successful console that is undeniable, but that doesn't make it better.

Tech
When it comes to the tech between the SNES and the Genesis factually the SNES was better, however having owned both I can tell you that they are virtually identical when playing the same game, and in some cases such as Aladdin, Mortal Kombat and earthworm Jim the genesis versions looked alot better. Like with Sales, the tech of the console doesn't make it better, the Xbox was more powerful than the PlaySation 2, but the PS2 is widely considered to be better than the Xbox.
("It is true that the boss battles may be better on Sonic, and it is absolutely true that it is faster, but consider the boss battles of Super Metroid, in comparison. And Super Metroid is incredibly epic, as far as 16 bit games go. And what about the boss battles and epic nature of Megaman X-X3? This is a cartoon game which I would argue beats Sonic on almost all accounts except for "speed")

In response to my opponents argument genesis exclusives like granada and mega turrican and contra hard corps also have incredible bosses, better in my opinion than supermetroid's. In terms of games a little known game called pulseman in my opinion is better than megaman x games, in terms of its "boss battles and epic nature"

"It is true that some Genesis games were better, but it is not true in all cases. Killer Instinct was far better on SNES than Genesis, as was Earthworm Jim and Street Fighter. Likely, for every game which was better on Genesis, there is another game on SNES to equal it out, if not exceed it. Yet the people's preference was for SNES as a whole"

Actually the majority of multiplats were better on the genesis, games such as Earthworm Jim, Aladdin, Beavis & Butthead, Mortal Kombat, Jurassic Park, Strider, NHL `94, & NBA Jam were all better on the Genesis. This is due to the SNES being the first console to use a significant amount of sub processors and therefore made it harder for third parties to put their game on the SNES, compared to the Genesis.

-Games like Joe Montana Football, the NHL games and Monaco was better on the genesis, true Mario kart and F-Zero are great racers but so are Super Monaco GP, Road Rash and Virtua Racing( a game that was revolutionary for 3D racers)

I disagree, having alot of arcade ports make the games library larger and better

I believe i have won this debate that the Genesis is better
mightbenihilism

Con

As my closing statement, I would like to point out my opponent's methodology, and why it is less valid than my own. I take two objective standards: sales and processing power. My opponent says these are not valid to judge the superiority of a system. Ok, let's grant that for a moment: then, what is the basis on which to judge a system?

In place of sales and processing power, my opponent gives his opinions on why he likes Genesis more. He says the games are "better" --- which, clearly, is a subjective standard. So what he is actually doing is saying that a subjective standard is to be used to judge the objective benefits of a console system, in which case the entire argument boils down to one's personal preferences. I argue that all the Mario Franchise games, Metroid, F-Zero, all the RPGs (Chrono Trigger in particular), the 3D Donkey Kong Games, Firefox, etc. are all more enjoyable than the games he mentions --- but what does that prove? I like Nintendo more. So what? It would be pointless to argue with the opponent that he doesn't like Genesis better, as he is the authority on his own opinions, just as I am on mine. Rather, the debate centers upon which system is better. The SNES was better financially and better in terms of processing power. If sales and processing power have any bearing on how much the games are liked by the objective majority of people, SNES wins. My opponent has offered no objective basis for any of his claims. He says a game "looks better", or a game's bosses are better, etc. but on what basis, besides his own opinion, is he claiming that it is "better"? He cites nothing. I cited sources for my own objective claims. His one objective claim --- arcade ports --- was also unsubstantiated. Essentially, what he is arguing is that a technically and financially inferior system is better because he likes the games better. Yes, and my grandmother prefers putting puzzles together more than console gaming! So what?

What the opponent could have done is pointed out that there are more games available for the Genesis --- which is clearly a plus --- and pointed out that critics generally favor multiplats on the Genesis to the SNES, or that Genesis games won more awards, etc. The expandability of the Genesis into Sega CD and 32x could have also been brought up (though these are actually pretty awful). If the Genesis objectively more award winning games and a clear edge on multiplats in terms of reviews, then a case could be made for its superiority --- or, at least, parity in terms of different benefits.

Even if the Genesis is better, my opponent could have argued it more effectively. Instead, he merely stated his opinion, time after time.
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
mightbenihilism
Yeah, I do this when I'm not playing Nintendo. :(
Posted by djones16 2 years ago
djones16
great debate
Posted by djones16 2 years ago
djones16
yep thats how this will go
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
mightbenihilism
Ok, so just so we're clear, first round I say: I ACCEPT, second round you say why Genesis is better and I say why SUPERNES is better, and then final round we refute each other, correct?

I love the SUPER NES, so I don't want to mess this debate up. I need to fight for SUPER NES! :(
Vote Placed by carriead20 2 years ago
carriead20
djones16mightbenihilismTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con had better arguments, grammar, and sources than pro.