famer
RationalMadman

SNSD's Tiffany is a good role model

famer

famer

Pro

Full Resolution: SNSD's Tiffany (Korean name "Hwang Mi-Young"/English name "Stephanie Hwang) is a positive role model for young children.

There will be two scenarios to this debate from which CON may choose from.

1. If the complete BOP is on me, I will provide arguments, and CON must refute all arguments, and make no arguments in return.

2. If the BOP is shared, both sides will make arguments for and against the resolution depending on which side you are on.

Introduction to Tiffany:

DOB: 1st August 1989 (Current age: 23)

Born in San Francisco, California

Korean background

Supporting Vocalist within SNSD (Girl's Generation, a kpop band).

Defintions for this debate:

"young" children would be categorised as anyone (boy/girl) under the age of 18.

Role model will refer to someone that you aspire to be like. Someone you respect.

Positive: Good (Definition should be obvious)

First round is ACCEPTANCE only (along with picking which scenario you will be arguing by).

No new arguments in final round of debate.

*NOTE* I am not arguing that she is better than other role models.

And before we start this debate, I'd like to show some pretty smiles from Tiffany :D

I will refrain from putting more pictures because we all know by now that she is really pretty <3.

And of course, no semantics or trolling or else it will result in a loss of all 7 points.
RationalMadman

Con

Scenario 1 and I will simply twist any and all of her attributes to end up being possibly severely negative influence.

Thank you I accept.
famer

Pro

I was quite convinced, after no one accepted this debate for more than 24 hours that it would be a certain-win for PRO, but it appears RationalMadman thinks he can win. How interesting.

^ (Tiffany finds this funny)

Why would a supporting-vocalist of possibly the most famous k-pop group that has ever existed be a positive role-model for young children?

For starters, there are no criminal records found of Tiffany.

Tiffany’s mother died when she was young, and she never felt very close to her father.

Arguments:

That fact that Tiffany is so famous and so popular both in Korea and around the world makes the quote “lead by example” incredibly crucial to her life. And, the fact that children (following the definition) are easily influenced by what they see, hear in life, on television etc, it means her actions are already a big influence through the media. From here onwards, I will prove to the readers that her influences will be a positive influence to children.

Bilingualism/Multilingualism intelligence

It is rumoured that people who understand 2 or more languages (also known as being Billingual) is considered to be smarter than people who are only fluent with one language. Tiffany has the ability to fluently speak two languages (Korean and English) and has a basic ability to speak another 3 languages (Japanese, Chinese and Spanish). [1] Here’s an example of Tiffany speaking Enligsh [2]. Pretty good yea? J

Tiffany has a warm heart

There have been many examples within Tiffany’s life in which she shows a great deal of kindness, to people who are in more difficult situations in life compared to her.

She was invited to sing a Korean song called “I’m not alone” with a choir that consisted of visually impaired children and naturally, she, as expected of her, accepted the offer [3].

As well as that, Tiffany, along with the entire SNSD (Girl’s Generation) group became mentors for 5 “Dangerous” Boys. A drama has been made for this entire program and can be found on youtube. For those who are interested in watching this drama, I will post the youtube link (for the first episode) within the comments section.

Her kindness, thoughtfulness will be further discussed in the next argument, in relation to her family.

Inspiration through difficult circumstances and starts in life

One of the most inspirational things in life is when a person who is living in difficult circumstances ends up becoming successful. It helps us think something along the lines “Although I am in a difficult situation, this person had the same and was still this successful. Why can’t I be the same?”

SNSD’s Tiffany, a well-known celebrity across S. Korea, herself would be a great example. With a mother who passed away when she was at a young age and a father that abandoned her after she joined her training debut (abandoned at the age of 11!) before joining in with her SNSD family, her successful entrance into SNSD marks a huge milestone in her life that everyone should take note of.

Even so, sources reveal that even being abandoned by her father, she still misses him. Her soft side to the most important people in her life still remain intact. [4] As mentioned, it breaks her heart that she is not able to spend time with her father.

‘“And the more I worked, the further my relationship with my father suffered. I thought about it, and I realized I have spent very little time with him. It breaks my heart”, she admitted, unable to hold back her tears.’

And, as expected, she did feel a great deal closer towards her mother. [4]

I thought of something that I want to say to my mom. This is the first time mentioning my mom in broadcast. Mom, you left this world before I have, but you gave me 8 sisters. I want to thank my mom and God.”

To clear the confusion, the “8” sisters that she was referring to was all the members within SNSD. After losing her mother, and abandoned by her father, she joined SNSD and regarded them to be their family. The “8” sisters would consist of each and every member within the group. (Jessica, Yoona, Taeyeon, SeoHyun, Yuri, Sooyoung, Sunny and Hyoyeon)

Working towards your own dreams

Sometimes people become too absorbed and prevented from working towards their own goals and paths in life that they eventually give up. Peer pressure, parents, and what society says etc. either pointing out that it is “not possible”, “lame”, “not cool” etc. is a barrier towards a lot of people’s successes in life.

When Tiffany’s mother passed away while she was at the age of 11, her father was the only legal guardian she had, and persisted that she studied commerce and become a businesswoman. Although disobeying your parents is a bad thing, it is important to take control of your own life. During the most critical point in her life, she had to decide whether or not to listen to her father and study business (something she hated) or follow her dreams and be trained to join a k-pop band. It is also important to note that Tiffany loves k-pop [5] (point 108).

It had only been two years since my mother had passed away, and I didn’t know it at the time but I was lost and a little rebellious. The only thing that made me happy was music.” [4]

Other small arguments:

Tiffany is not afraid to show her emotions. When she wants to cry, she cries and doesn’t hold back the tears. [5] (Point 10)

Tiffany likes reading and writing (a diligent personality). She states that she is a fan of literature and history. [5] (Point 110)

Tiffany is the funniest in her dorm. [5] (Point 6)

References:

1. 1. http://snsdkorean.com...

2. 2. ;(Video shown on top)

3. 3. http://blog.ningin.com...

4. 4. http://www.allkpop.com...

5. 5. http://www.fanpop.com...

And if there is anything I would like to say at the end of this round is that I will win this debate out of pure respect for Tiffany. Her path in life so far has been so inspirational and amazing. I could easily regard myself as one of her biggest fans and will always look up to her <3

RationalMadman

Con

RationalMadman forfeited this round.
famer

Pro

famer forfeited this round.
RationalMadman

Con

RationalMadman forfeited this round.
famer

Pro

Vote Pro.
RationalMadman

Con

RationalMadman forfeited this round.
Posted by famer 4 years ago
famer
First episode of Dangerous Boys Korean Drama:

It has English subtitles.
Vote Placed by Maikuru 4 years ago
Maikuru
famerRationalMadmanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Full forfeit
Vote Placed by DoctorDeku 4 years ago
DoctorDeku
famerRationalMadmanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit
Vote Placed by 1Devilsadvocate 4 years ago
1Devilsadvocate
famerRationalMadmanTied
Reasons for voting decision: F.F.
Vote Placed by Xerge 4 years ago
Xerge
famerRationalMadmanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro is the only one who presented a case.