jscjvmadb
jamesNYY

SOCIETY: brainwashed?

jscjvmadb

jscjvmadb

Pro

Do you think the society of today is brainwashed? I think so. The term brainwashed in itself is actually rather contradictory, for you would think of it as a cleansing of the brain when in fact it's the opposite. I believe today's society has been basically blindfolded and dragged into false ideas. We believe too much of what we're told. Who wants to disagree with that?? We don't question enough anymore. Media is a huge part of society and it's basically posion. Lies have overcome the media and yet we know that, but we still believe it. I feel that our society is more accepting but at the same time not at all. We're beginning to accept gay marriage but at the same time our rights are being taken away. Freedom of speech, does anyone remember that? Our opinions may be welcome on here but if you go out and try to voice your opinion, chances are you will be prosecuted. Why is that? We're wrong that's why. Or atleast that's what we're told, but is that true? No, we are just forced to go with what society wants us to believe. Society says it's okay to abort a child, but it's not okay to kill an adult. Society says you have the right to say what you wish, but if you do it's automatically slander. What do you think?
jamesNYY

Con

will address each of your points step by step. You start off by saying that we believe too much of what we are told. I can't see your point in saying this. Are you implying that everything we hear on news or form the government is a lie? That idea is silly and you seem to have lumped the government not telling us things we shouldn't know or need to know with the idea that we are being brainwashed. In terms of the media, what do they lie about in our daily lives? The regular news coverage on what's going on in the country isn't false. You didn't name a specific case of the media lying you simply say "we know they are". If you can't pin-point any particular instance that wasn't a government secret than you can't make a blanket statement about everything being a lie. I disagree with your stance on society accepting gay marriage. In almost every state to legalize it, there is a massive amount of public protest (look at CA). I think that society is more open to it than 5-10 years ago. However, a great deal of people do not support it and saying we are more accepting is just not true. If anything we are becoming more strict on how we hold our views.
I agree with your stance on free speech. Looking at the recent Duck Dynasty incident, I think that society only grants you free speech if your saying what people agree with or want you to say. Its a complete double standard but going as far as to say we get prosecuted is wrong. People that speak out may get persecuted by the public and in general people can say almost anything about our government/country and cringe behind the right to free speech. Society as whole doesn't say its ok to abort a child, its around 50-50. Pro-life supporters are in our society too and you cant leave them out of the argument to make your argument that "we" are saying its ok to kill babies. When you mention killing an adult, society allows for certain circumstances, but you don't mention that. You again use a blanket term without much weight behind it or anything to argue. Finally on slander, you have the right to free speech but if that speech infringes on the rights of others there is an issue. Slander protects people from those that lie to harm them. Slander laws are a good thing when the speech in question is proven to be false and damaging. You can't mix free speech and slander as the two can't generally mix. If I spread lies about a person who owns a business and they in turn lose the customers and have to close down, I should be liable to the owner. In all slander cases the truth is the best defense and will generally exonerate you. If you were telling the truth than its not slander and being charged/convicted with slander only happens after its proven that you lied.
jscjvmadb

Pro

You make a good argument. You called out my saying of the media providing false information. I'm not only speaking of say television, I speak of facebook, twitter, instagram, etc. Social networking is a large portion of today's "media". As for examples, we all know personal examples. A very recent lie or "scam" was the facebook lie of a woman falling from a 220 foot rollercoaster. Yes, this may seem very small but the idea of it is the percentage of people who actually believed that a woman fell from a 220 foot rollercoaster. This is one of many hoaxes. I'm not sure if you remember but their was a rumor going around on the news and on the internet about Marilyn Manson. Now he may not be the best example but you have to understand that a large percentage of the viewers believed that he had ribs removed to perform sexual acts. This in itself is so ridiculous, because the obvious fact is that this isn't even possible. People believed it though! That's just another example. These are small cases, but truthfully they're just minor examples of how nieve most of our society can be. As for the government lying, this may not be the best example but obama portraying as strictly black. Barrack Obama is biracial, but for a while most of America considered him to be fully african american. No, this wasn't a lie but it was in my eyes somewhat deceptive because if you think about it a lot of votes were given due to his race and the unorthodoxy.
Now when it comes to freedom of speech I may have harshly worded it, but the idea of consequences is implyed. Protesting is a form of expressing freedom of speech and it seems that we too often hear cases of law being enforced on protestors. Violence has been a factor also. As for abortion, it's not necassarily society says it's okay, but the law does. The government does and I see government as a large part of "society", due to the fact that government has such a large impact on society. I like the point you made about duck dynasty because that supports the freedom of speech issue. We have the right to disagree, but like you said we have no right to "slander" and honestly the way most people adressed what that man said could be considered slander, but it's okay for them to say that because a large amount of people think he was wrong. The overall aspect I want to stress is that most of today's society will turn on the news or get on social media and what they hear or read they believe 9 times out of 10. I don't believe enough of us are questioning things the way we should. Instead of going out and finding out the truth we just take peoples word for it. Just consider this, you turn on the tv and the newscaster says there is THOUSANDS of people at this protest in germany. You just assume that there is thousands of people there, but do you truly know? No. Chances are you aren't going to find out either, so you just take their word. Then you find out later than their was only 600 people there. " Now I can't say I haven't been held fault for this because I'm sure I have. Most of us have. We put too much faith into what we're told.
jamesNYY

Con

On social networking media i think it has to be looked at for what it is...social networking. The people that post the hoaxes aren't from the actual news media they are "regular" people (maybe with mental issues) so its not the media brainwashing or fooling us but rather an individual person (who's not affiliated with the site). When people buy into these hoaxes, i don't believe its because of brainwashing. The issue is that the average person is dumb/gullible. This has been caused by a number of social factors over the last few decades and while ill admit that media hasn't helped, media is only a small piece to that puzzle. To put a long story short, this trend has happened because of the evaporation of having a good work ethic and rise of the U.S being a welfare state. The general citizen is becoming rather lazy and uneducated.

Going back to the issue at hand...

The government never said Obama was black it was the DNC but in terms of hat his race is listed as on the census, most if not virtually all mixed black people refer to themselves as black. I see how some less cultured people in the country may find this a hard concept to grasp but in the grand scheme the ghetto trash that voted for him were probably going to vote Dem anyway. I do agree that this gained him a lot of votes but again this can't be traced to the government because the only election he had that this really changed the result was his first one and he didn't have government support at that point just the DNC. On protests i think we basically agree; its true that unfortunately many protest end in arrest and violence because some idiots develop the "mob mentality" and act reckless. Most of them would never act out on their own but when in a group of people throwing bricks or looting, than they grow a pair and join in. With the news on the Germany protest i think its unfair to judge the news media. If the protest is going on live, the reporters can't get a tally on the numbers obviously. Now if they estimate it than they are doing the best they can. Looking at 600 people gathered in a small area could look like thousands to someone reporting on the ground. I think the reporters are allowed to be human and be wrong on an educated guess and that shouldn't be viewed as trying to mislead us. Whether its 600,700, or 1500 people the main theme and principle of the story is unchanged. I don't necessarily think we should believe everything we hear to be 100% true but we need to have some faith in our fellow humans. We can't question and doubt everything we hear either and the line between both ends is hard to make.
jscjvmadb

Pro

Honestly, I believe we've almost come to a mutual agreement. You stated and I quote, " The issue is that the average person is dumb/gullible." Well what is society? When I think of society I think of the average people. So maybe the title isn't appropriate. The issue isn't that we're being tricked or "brainwashed", we're just too trustworthy. My closing argument that it sounds like you agree with is that the majority society, isn't necessarily brainwashed, just nieve and gullible. Too blind to decipher the truth. THERE IS A BLURRY CONCEPT OF REALITY. There's a better title.
jamesNYY

Con

I think we agree on the end result and state of our society. Where we differ is the exact causes. I blame society itself while you started by blaming the media and government. In conclusion (and to address the original topic) I feel the government and media are not to blame.
Posted by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
Debating hoe retread the debate it's pro that conceded in the final round. This is why con said they agree.
Posted by jamesNYY 3 years ago
jamesNYY
i was only working with what i was given. Due to her making it three rounds and stating all her arguments in the opening statement, i couldn't open and than argue in two rounds like i would have wanted. She also diverged from the original point she tried to make so I couldn't disagree with her saying she agreed with me.
Posted by Orieles 3 years ago
Orieles
This Debate is rather dull. No exceptional points on either side. There's also a serious lack of organization here. Needs plenty of work on both ends.
Posted by makeshift8 3 years ago
makeshift8
Society is just something that is modified and created by influential people. It CAN be changed and modified. This means normal is really just something that celebrities and super stars say is the new trend. Fads, traditions, and all other manner of rituals todays people practice are a result of others telling us what is right to do and what is wrong to do.

Society is nothing more than what you make of it. So no, society is not brainwashed, it is changing.
Posted by Elenchus123 3 years ago
Elenchus123
You should watch some of George carlin or bill hicks before you debate on this subject, they are pretty much are all about this stuff.
Posted by Elenchus123 3 years ago
Elenchus123
I think you'd like someone named "George Carlin" and my personal favorite "Bill Hicks". Two great Comedians/Free thinkers.
Posted by Elenchus123 3 years ago
Elenchus123
No objection. If anyone does it's probably because they're holding on to some insane archaic values. I think we're just getting the slight of hand technique pulled on us. On an international level the world is completely screwed. But we really don't see much of that in the media, they want to keep us focused on Justin biebers new album, what the hottest new thing to buy is, what is in style, what t.v programs to watch, what they want us to think and feel, its a big nationalist poop fest over here because everyone is buying the American dream bull crap.. They don't want to tell everyone that the FED is missing Nine trillion dollars, Its business as usual on this planet.
Vote Placed by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
jscjvmadbjamesNYYTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con wins argument pro in her last round conceded that society is largely not brain washed.
Vote Placed by debatinghoe123 3 years ago
debatinghoe123
jscjvmadbjamesNYYTied
Reasons for voting decision: "I think we agree on the end result and state of our society. Where we differ is the exact causes. I blame society itself while you started by blaming the media and government" Nice going. Just earned yourself a loss: Concession.