sweatycreases2
Yraelz

SOMEONE SHOULD SELL CARBONATED GRAVY

sweatycreases2

Pro

I THINK SOMEONE SHOULD SELL CARBONATED GRAVY. THEY COULD PROBABLY SELL ALOT OF IT IN THE SOUTH OR AT NASCAR EVENTS. HELL, I WAS SIXTEEN YEARS OLD BEFORE I KNEW THAT GRAVY WASNT A SOFT DRINK. IT COULD COME IN MANY FLAVORS LIKE BROWN OR WHITE, CHICKEN, PORK, BEEF, FISH, TURKEY, OR WHATEVER. THEY COULD EVEN MIX IT WITH WHISKEY AND SELL IT AS A MIXED DRINK.
Yraelz

Con

I think I thank my opponent for making this debate. Which I am going to have to attack in two different ways.

1. Gravy is not a liquid. Thus it is mildly impossible to carbonate a suspension. Though I suppose you could carbonate the purely liquid part of the gravy. Sadly this doesn't mean that the gravy itself would be carbonated.

2. Gravy in itself may taste good but not when given the extra bite of carbonation. It would be like gravy with a strange singe of nastiness. Anyways, I challenge my opponent to prove that someone should sell carbonated gravy.
sweatycreases2

Pro

I CHALLENGE MY OPPONENT TO PROVE THAT YOU CANNOT CARBONATE GRAVY (EVEN THOUGH IT COULD BE EXTREMELY WATERED DOWN) OR ANY OTHER NON-LIQUID SUBSTANCE, AND THAT GRAVY WOULD NOT TASTE GOOD WHEN GIVEN THE EXTRA BITE OF CARBONATION. JONES SODA SOLD ENOUGH TURKEY AND GRAVY FLAVORED SODA IN A HOLIDAY PACK DURING THE 2007 CHRISTMAS SEASON THAT THEY HAVEN'T RETIRED THOSE FLAVORS YET(www.jonessoda.com/files/limited_editions.php), SO TO SAY THAT GRAVY WOULD NOT TASTE GOOD IF CARBONATED IS CLEARLY NOT TRUE TO EVERYONE.

GIVEN THE SUCCESS OF JONES SODA'S HOLIDAY PACK, AND THE RELATIVE POPULARITY OF REGULAR NON-CARBONATED GRAVY, ONE CAN CONCLUDE THAT THERE'S AT LEAST SOME DEMAND IN THE MARKET FOR CARBONATED GRAVY, THUS SOMEONE SHOULD SELL CARBONATED GRAVY.
Yraelz

Con

Alright, first we are going to take a quote from the Jones Holiday site page concerning the turkey & gravy soda. This quote states,

"Anyway, the product's aroma definitely smells like turkey and gravy, but the flavor is another story. The taste is noticeably salty and has a mild sweetness to it. There is a slight "turkey 8 gravy"-like finish to the product, but the addition of carbonation and sweetness generally hide the taste otherwise. Honestly, it was pretty hard for any of our testers to keep from spitting the product out."

It goes on to say that,

"We have to give Jones Soda credit for putting this product out there purely to create buzz -- and they definitely succeeded on that front. "

So while the Turkey and Gravy flavor may have created buzz it did not particularly taste good.

Secondly my opponent wants to carbonate gravy not gravy tasting soda. For all we know the soda may not have been created with any real gravy what-so-ever. Actually I just came across and interesting blog in which one of the bloggers stated,

"I read an article about it and it supposedly has no animal ingredients in it."
http://www.veggieboards.com...

The main problem though still remains that my opponent is attempting to carbonate something that is not a liquid. Considering that he is the instigator I challenge him to prove that he can carbonate gravy.
sweatycreases2

Pro

FIRST OF ALL, MY OPPONENT STATES THAT JONES TURKEY AND GRAVY FLAVORED SODA DIDNT TASTE GOOD BECAUSE HE READ THAT IT DIDN'T, ALTHOUGH HES NEVER TRIED IT FOR HIMSELF NOR PROVIDED ANY EVIDENCE SUGGESTING THAT THE VAST MAJORITY OF THOSE WHO DRANK IT WERE LESS THAN SATISFIED WITH THE TASTE. REGARDLESS OF WHETHER OR NOT JONES TURKEY AND GRAVY SODA TASTED GOOD, THERES NOTHING SAYING THAT CARBONATED GRAVY WOULD TASTE SIMILAR TO JONES SODA OR BAD AT ALL. EVEN IF JONES TURKEY AND GRAVY SODA AND CARBONATED GRAVY DID TASTE BAD, JONES SOLD ENOUGH OF THEIR PRODUCT THAT THEY HAVEN'T DISCONTINUED ITS PRODUCTION, THEREFORE THERE MAY VERY WELL BE A DEMAND FOR CARBONATED GRAVY.

SECONDLY, AN UNKNOWN ARTICLE THAT THE AUTHOR OF A BLOG FROM AN UNTOLD SOURCE CITED IS IN NO WAY A CREDIBLE SOURCE.

THIRD, MY OPPONENT MUST PROVE THAT GRAVY IS NOT A LIQUID. ACCORDING TO www.merriam-webster.com, LIQUID IS DEFINES AS:

1: flowing freely like water

2: having the properties of a liquid : being neither solid nor gaseous3
a: shining and clear
b: being musical and free of harshness in sound
c: smooth and unconstrained in movement d: articulated without friction and capable of being prolonged like a vowel 4 a: consisting of or capable of ready conversion into cash b: capable of covering current liabilities quickly with current assets

FORTH, BY DEFINITION (www.merriam-webster.com), ALL THAT NEEDS TO TAKE PLACE FOR A SUBSTANCE TO BECOME CARBONATED IS FOR THAT SUBSTANCE TO COMBINE OR INFUSE WITH CARBON DIOXIDE. IT IS POSSIBLE TO COMBINE OR INFUSE GRAVY WITH CARBON DIOXIDE, THEREFORE GRAVY CAN BE CARBONATED.
Yraelz

Con

For starters my opponent discredits my evidence because I have never tried the Jones soda personally. I allow his point to stand but at the cost of him losing this debate. If he will not accept anything but first hand evidence then I must reject his resolution as he has not had a first hand experience attempting to drink carbonated gravy.

Furthermore my opponent states, "REGARDLESS OF WHETHER OR NOT JONES TURKEY AND GRAVY SODA TASTED GOOD, THERES NOTHING SAYING THAT CARBONATED GRAVY WOULD TASTE SIMILAR TO JONES SODA OR BAD AT ALL." In other words my opponent has now severed his link to Jones Turkey & Gravy Soda. This in turn means that my opponent has no point standing in round that states why someone "SHOULD" carbonate gravy. All that my opponent has left are points stating that gravy CAN be carbonated.

Thus I attack those points, my opponent defines a liquid (my comments are interjected) :

1: flowing freely like water (Does gravy flow like water....? No.)

2: having the properties of a liquid : being neither solid nor gaseous3 (Gravy is a suspension, it is literally a mixture of a solid and a liquid)
a: shining and clear (Is gravy shining or clear?)
b: being musical and free of harshness in sound (what....)
c: smooth and unconstrained in movement (Smooth? Could be... maybe? It moves slower than water however.)
d: articulated without friction and capable of being prolonged like a vowel (This has nothing to do with what we are talking about..)
4 a: consisting of or capable of ready conversion into cash (No not really.)
b: capable of covering current liabilities quickly with current assets (.....)

Gravy arguably demonstrates none of these traits, that is because gravy is a suspension. A combination between solid and liquid. Gravy, as an entirety, cannot be carbonated in the sense that my opponent means, only the liquid portion of it could be.

Thus I negate my opponent resolution on two levels:

1. He provides no evidence for why Carbonated Gravy should be sold.
2. He provides no evidence stating that gravy can be carbonated.
Posted by Yraelz 3 years ago
Yraelz
Haha, damn straight. He was kind of a funny guy though.
Posted by ClassicRobert 3 years ago
ClassicRobert
And thus "nac" came into existence.
Posted by Wren_cyborg 3 years ago
Wren_cyborg
Classic
Posted by brian_eggleston 9 years ago
brian_eggleston
Crikey! Only in America! You really do have Turkey and Gravy flavoured soft drinks over there! (I could hardly believe so I checked the website - excellent free advertising for the manufacturers by the way).

I wonder if there's a market for savoury soft drinks in Britain? Fish and Chips flavoured soda pop or Roast Beef with Yorkshire Puddings-ade perhaps?
Posted by Krad 9 years ago
Krad
well, sweatycrease, as far as ive seen, Logical master, Beem0r, and yraelz are by far the best debators on this site. I could be wrong tho...
Posted by Logical-Master 9 years ago
Logical-Master
"IS IT REALLY SO INCONCEIVABLE, LOGICAL "MASTER", THAT YRAELZ DOESN'T HAVE THE STRONGER ARGUMENT?"

In this case, yes. ;)
Posted by sweatycreases2 9 years ago
sweatycreases2
IS IT REALLY SO INCONCEIVABLE, LOGICAL "MASTER", THAT YRAELZ DOESN'T HAVE THE STRONGER ARGUMENT? I THINK YOU'RE JUST BIASED AGAINST ME. DO YOU NEED A HUG?
Posted by Logical-Master 9 years ago
Logical-Master
How is Yraelz losing?

[25 characters]
Posted by XsamacadoX 9 years ago
XsamacadoX
mabey chicken and gravy soda... but gravy? that's blegh-y.
Posted by Logical-Master 9 years ago
Logical-Master
PRO was pretty much asking to lose when he mentioned those definitions.

Incidentally, I tried drinking some "gravy flavored" soda recently. And I'm still bleaching my mouth out. Blech!!!
Vote Placed by yay842 3 years ago
yay842
sweatycreases2YraelzTied
Reasons for voting decision: because no one really gave a reason and the fact that Pro and Con can vote for themselves
Vote Placed by Crust89 8 years ago
Crust89
sweatycreases2YraelzTied
Vote Placed by Yraelz 8 years ago
Yraelz
sweatycreases2YraelzTied
Vote Placed by Logical-Master 8 years ago
Logical-Master
sweatycreases2YraelzTied
Vote Placed by livi 9 years ago
livi
sweatycreases2YraelzTied
Vote Placed by WeaponE 9 years ago
WeaponE
sweatycreases2YraelzTied
Vote Placed by HadenQuinlan 9 years ago
HadenQuinlan
sweatycreases2YraelzTied
Vote Placed by Krad 9 years ago
Krad
sweatycreases2YraelzTied
Vote Placed by Bitz 9 years ago
Bitz
sweatycreases2YraelzTied
Vote Placed by left_wing_mormon 9 years ago
left_wing_mormon
sweatycreases2YraelzTied