Snakepliston
dvhoose

Salt vs Pepper

dvhoose

Snakepliston

Pro

OK salt.... the universal awesomeness. When the cavemen needed to preserve their meats what did they use???? Pepper, I think not it was salt. Whenever you get popcorn what do do???? You salt it not pepper it. I can see no reason why any1 in their right mind would choose salt over pepper. What are the waters of the ocen filled with???? pepper....NO salt. So now i leave it open to my opponent to argue.
dvhoose

Con

First off, I would like to thank my esteemed opponent for posting this rather imaginative debate, the readers for taking an interest in this topic, and the judges for not only reading, but deciding upon who had the most logical arguments.

With that said, I will go ahead and refute my opponents attacks.

My opponent provides three reasons as to why salt is better than pepper. They are:
1) Salt was used to preserve meat
2) Salt is used in salted popcorn and
3) Salt fills the ocean

However, salt isn't perfect. Side effects from salt are:
1) Stroke
2) Cardiovascular disease
3) Osteoporosis and
4) Stomach Cancer [1]

Another major fact I'd like to bring up is that salt is mined, meaning, it will, eventually, run out. Pepper on the other hand is a plant, it can be grown, literally, forever.

Pepper also has properties that make it beneficial to the human body:

1) Cayenne Pepper can stop internal bleeding and heart attacks [2]
2) Black Pepper is a great source of manganese, vitamin K, iron, and fiber. [3]
3) Black Pepper also wards off cancers, increases brain function, and is a "natural antidepressant". [4]

And since my opponent seems intrigued with trivial matters, such as salt in the ocean, here are some random facts on pepper:

1) Once was to be used as currency
2) Formerly presented to the gods as a sacred offering [3]

On a final note, I'd like to, again, thank my opponent, readers, and judges. As a last comment to the judges, I'd ask that you please judge based on the merits of the debate, not on whichever seasoning you prefer. Thanks

I await the counter argument(s)...

SOURCES
[1] The danger salt poses to your health http://www.internethealthlibrary.com...
[2] Benefits of pepper- http://www.healthrecipes.com...
[3] Black Pepper- http://www.whfoods.com...
[4] Health Benefits of Pepper- http://www.foodproductdesign.com...
Snakepliston

Pro

Snakepliston forfeited this round.
dvhoose

Con

Alright... we'll I re-read the debate rather carefully, and I noticed a couple things.

The first comes from my opponents speech where he says, and I quote:

"I can see no reason why any1 in their right mind would choose salt over pepper."

And I am forced to agree. Why would anyone choose salt over pepper?

The second thing I noticed was a faux-pas of mine when I was stating trivial facts on pepper. I said "Once was to be used as currency". If you re-read that article, it should say Once WAS used as currency. I apologize for my mistake.

With no arguments to refute, I will restate my arguments and see what happens...

* My opponent offers you no substantial reason to vote for salt. So it preserves meat, is used on popcorn, and is found in the ocean. Why is that important? I'd like my opponent to make an impact with those instead of state those facts.
* Salt has many negative health benefits
* Pepper has many positive health benefits
* Pepper was used as currency and offered to the gods as a sacred offering.

To add to my list of arguments:

1) Salt is a dehydrator, if you drink salt water, you only become more thirsty. Salt water is only beneficial if someone is active and loses electrolytes. Looking at America, it's not as active as it once was.

And in the comments section, sadolite generously offers a point for my opponent, saying that we will never run out of salt, that it fills the ocean and the ocean fills 75% of Earth's land mass.

My responses:

1) Despite the fact that there may be a large amount of salt remaining on the Earth, no more salt is being made naturally, and we will run out... it's only a matter of time.
2) The salt in the ocean in paramount to the survival of many ocean species. It's why there are fresh water and salt water organisms. While we might be able to supply ourselves with salt a little longer, there's a delicate balance. (The opposite extreme is found through desalination).

* If my opponent proposes we could synthetically manufacture salt, I agree, but this would be more costly and would be nowhere near as good as the current salt (if you could call salt "good")
* If my opponent proposes that we take advantage of desalination and taking salt from the ocean, that only lessens the amount of territory ocean organisms have to roam about... eventually drying up our oceans.

That's really all I have right now. I apologize for the lack of clash in this debate. I'd still like to thank my opponent for creating this imaginative debate, thank the readers for taking an interest, and thank the voters for taking an interest and selecting a position. I'd like to finish by once again asking the judges to vote on the merits of the debate and not personal preference.

I look forward to a response from my opponent.
Snakepliston

Pro

Snakepliston forfeited this round.
dvhoose

Con

After two dropped rounds, the only thing I want to respond to a comment made my sadolite, where he says:

"Correction: that it fills the ocean and the ocean covers 75% of the "earths surface"

I know,annoying comment, couldn't help myself."

This is definitely right... if it were 75% of the earth's land mass, salt would be excessively abundant, and who knows what the earth would look like. I apologize for the mistake, yet still contend that even if that's true, no more salt is being made, and we will run out.

Once again, I feel I should apologize for the lack of clash, since my opponent won't have the opportunity. This debate had potential, I believe, but that was erased when my opponent started this debate and walked away...

As a final thought, vote CON, all my arguments went uncontested, and I believe that my facts and sources outweigh any "benefits" my opponent claims from salt. I've proven that salt has more negatives than positives, and that pepper has many beneficial attributes.

Once again I ask that you vote on the merits of the debate, and not on seasonal preference...

Thanks for your time.
Posted by Labrat228 5 years ago
Labrat228
I thought it was LM at first, until the R1!
Posted by s0m31john 5 years ago
s0m31john
Why are you using Logical-Master's avatar? The way you type will only serve to hurt his reputation, and I can't help but wonder if it's on purpose.
Posted by sadolite 5 years ago
sadolite
"that it fills the ocean and the ocean fills 75% of Earth's land mass."

Correction: that it fills the ocean and the ocean covers 75% of the "earths surface"

I know,annoying comment, couldn't help myself.
Posted by sadolite 5 years ago
sadolite
I agree and also we will never run out of salt, the ocean is filled with it and it covers 75% of the earths surface "Sea Salt" anyone?
Posted by Julius_Caesar 5 years ago
Julius_Caesar
personally i love salt, but dont think that i have a biased decision. So far dvhoose has clearly made a more significant argument... I eagerly await the coming responses
Vote Placed by Snakepliston 5 years ago
Snakepliston
SnakeplistondvhooseTied
Vote Placed by Labrat228 5 years ago
Labrat228
SnakeplistondvhooseTied
Vote Placed by dvhoose 5 years ago
dvhoose
SnakeplistondvhooseTied