Gloryroad
2-D

Same Gender Marriage Is Wrong

2-D

Gloryroad

Pro

First Round: Acceptance and reason for taking side of Con
Second Round: I state my case/evidence, you retort
Third Round: Expand
Fourth Round: Conclude

Thank you for taking on this vital topic! Good luck and God bless you!
2-D

Con

Gloryroad

Pro

Gloryroad forfeited this round.
2-D

Con

Interesting topic because I have never seen a good secular reasonable argument against Gay Marriage. The arguments are exclusively religious and in the United States that means relying on the bible. Arguing that anything is right or wrong is difficult without making some assumptions about the purpose of morality or relying on a specific moral code. Since Pro hasn’t made any arguments I’ll just establish that the bible is not reliable for moral instruction to rule out the religious arguments.

In order to reference God you first have to establishing that any God Exists.

In order for God to be a reason to believe that Gay Marriage is wrong Pro would first need to establish that God exists. He would also need to establish that this God is the author of the bible or has otherwise communicated that Gay Marriage is wrong. In addition he would still need to establish that God is a moral authority or that we are morally obligated to obey.

The Bible is not a reliable source for moral values.

The bible condones slavery, genocide and the death penalty for minor offenses that we do not even consider crimes in the west. The New Testament introduces the idea of eternal punishments again for finite “sins” that are not considered crimes in the modern era. The New Testament

Genocide:
Probably the most popular verse is 1 Samuel 15:2-3, “Thus says the Lord of hosts, ‘I have noted what Amalek did to Israel in opposing them on the way when they came up out of Egypt. Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.” Note that they are to kill children and infants. By any standard this is immoral behavior. There are easily another 19 verses that condone genocide. [1]

Slavery:
A book that gets slavery wrong can hardly be seen as a reliable source for moral guidance. Leviticus 25:44-46 says, “As for your male and female slaves whom you may have: you may buy male and female slaves from among the nations that are around you... You may bequeath them to your sons after you to inherit as a possession forever.” Notice you can keep the slaves for life.
Exodus 21:20-21 says that you can beat a slave as long he does not die within 3 days. “Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ.” (Ephesians 6:5 NLT)

Death penalty for minor offenses:
In the Old Testament the death penalty was a common requirement arguably for minor offenses. The death penalty was commanded for anyone who worked on Saturday (Exodus 31:15), worshiped another god (Deuteronomy 17:1-5) or ‘cursed’ his or her parents (Exodus 21:17).

Eternal punishment for minor offenses:
Matthew 4:22 says that if you call your brother a fool you are in danger of hell. Matthew 10:28 indicates that the majority of people will go to hell. John 14:6 and Acts 4:12 indicate that only those who believe in Jesus will avoid hell. What offense could possibly warrant being punished forever? A lifetime of horrible atrocities would not be enough to justify an eternity of punishment and certainly not calling your brother a fool.
-
If Pro returns round 3 hopefully he will bring some rational secular arguments but they are not common. The majority of arguments I have heard are based on the bible and I have established that the bible is an immoral book.
[1] http://www.openbible.info...
Gloryroad

Pro

Gloryroad forfeited this round.
2-D

Con

Arguments extended.
Gloryroad

Pro

Gloryroad forfeited this round.
2-D

Con

Arguments Extended.
Posted by 2-D 1 year ago
2-D
I didn't notice your qualification. I do not believe that same sex marriage is wrong so I accepted the Con position.
Vote Placed by MarsUltor 1 year ago
MarsUltor
Gloryroad2-DTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit.