Same-Sex Marraige

These are the rules:

1) Round 1 is for acceptance only.
2) Rounds 2, 3, and 4 are for debating.
3) Round 5 is for closing statements.
4) ALL arguments must be backed up by facts

Thank you in advance

I accept your challenge

To start out, I'd like to thank my opponent for accepting.

1: To start out, I believe that there is no good reason for same-sex marriage to be illegal that can be backed up by solid facts. Homosexuality is clearly natural, as several types of animals have been known to be homosexual. What does this tell us? That whatever was the cause of the existence of these species (evolution, God, whatever it is you believe) has somehow made it possible for them to be sexually attracted to members of the same sex as they are.

2: Contrary to what many believe (or would have others believe), same-sex marriages in the United States are slightly less likely to end in divorce than so called "traditional" marriages. In 2011, the percentage of same-sex couples who ended their marriage through divorce was roughly 1.1%. The percentage of opposite-sex marriages that ended in divorce is roughly 2%. This tells us that (at least in 2011) same-sex couples are less likely to divorce, if only slightly so. [1]

3: At the moment, same-sex marriage is legal in more parts of America than "traditional" marriage. Before you immediately write that off as a lie, let me explain something. The view of many today is that "traditional" marriage is marriage between one man and one woman. This, however, is not true. Traditionally, it was widely accepted, and even in some cultures and religions encouraged, for a man to have multiple wives, including relatives of his. This, as we know, is illegal in many parts of the world today. So therefore, same-sex marriage is much more acceptable than "traditional" marriage.

Homosexuality is a sin according to the bible, most people I talked too about this already know that so im not going to bother posting the verses to prove it unless my opponent wants me to get them for him. This alone is enough for gay marriage not to exist.

My opponent clearly has not read the rules of this debate, as they were posted in the first round of this debate.

Rule 4) ALL arguments must be backed up by facts

My opponent's argument is that the Bible says homosexuality is a sin. He fails to use any proven, hard facts in his argument. Unless of course he can prove that the Bible is accurate, and that God is real. I personally believe in God, but unless he is proven real, the Bible cannot be used as a source in a serious debate.

In addition, of the three points I made in the last round, my opponent has not even attempted to dispute a single one of them, so I will assume that he has conceded all three.

As for my opponent's argument (assuming of course that God is real, and the Bible is accurate), didn't Jesus teach us to love one another, and that all people are equal under God? As well, did Jesus not say "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone?" Clearly, all people, whether gay, straight, black, white, Christian, Jewish, or Muslim are equal under God, and should be treated as such.

my opponent claims that my argument is not based on facts. What he failed to mention is that the bible is a factual book to all true Christians. Scientist on the other hand are always changing their facts over and over and over again. Yesterday's fact can be tomorrow's opinion in the science and history world. One example is when science used to teach that pluto was a planet, now all of a sudden it is not and never has been.

The bible on the other hand never changes its facts, so they are always fact at all times no matter how many years have passed, thus making it more reliable than science and history combined. And the bible is surely way more reliable than since anyone can write up false articles there. Now there is plenty of verses in the bible that prove homosexuality is wrong, and that gay marriage is something that God would never accept ever. God doesn't accept anyone who doesn't repent of their sins and homosexuality is just one of the many sins that we all have to repent from so I don't single them out. Now even if my opponent doesn't acknowledge the bible as a factual book, it doesn't mean that it is not. And there are sources that he may accept as fact that are indeed false information.

I didn't bother going against the points he used in round 1 because even if his information was somehow true, it doesn't change the fact that the bible already declared homosexuality a sin and that the bible has already proven itself to us Christians who study it diligently. The world is corrupt as it is, we don't need further Moral depravity by allowing the nation to marry gays, we are provoking The wrath of the almighty to come sooner than later if we continue to stray from the right path.

ChrisF forfeited this round.

my opponent forfeited his round giving me reason to believe that he wont argue against my points.

As much as I would like to argue against my opponents points, I suppose I cannot in this round. So instead I will make my closing statements.

In this entire debate, my opponent has not even attempted to argue against any of the points I had made in the second round. These points being:

1) Homosexuality is natural, whether caused by God or by evolution.
2) Same-sex marriages are more stable than opposite-sex marriages in the United States, and are less likely to end in divorce.
3) So called "traditional" marriage, which most claim to be marriage between a man and woman, is in fact polygamy, and is illegal in the United States and many parts of the world, where as same-sex marriage is much more widely accepted, and is becoming more so every year.

My opponent has instead repeatedly claimed that same-sex marriage is wrong because the Bible says so. Since the Bible cannot be proven to be entirely accurate, it is not able to be considered factual, therefore his argument violates the rules of this debate, specifically the fourth, which states that all arguments must be backed up by facts.

Regardless of this, my opponent may or may not be aware of the fact that weddings may also take place in courthouses, as well as churches. Since the United States, along with many other countries, has no official religion, the Bible cannot be used as a basis to create laws. In fact, the First Amendment of the United States Constitution prohibits the government from endorsing any established religion. With that said, civil marriages, which would take place outside of any religion, should be legal.

I would also like to remind my opponent that the Bible is a book written by men, and men alone, and was put together by entirely different men. To imply that any Christian who doubts the truth of some parts of the Bible is not a "true" Christian is ridiculous, as neither God or Jesus wrote the Bible.

Thank you

my opponent says I haven't attempted to refute his points only because I use the bible as my evidence. Even though I know the bible is true, I will use Wikipedia this time for the unbelievers to show that same sex marriage is not a good direction for us to take since my opponent used Wikipedia I will also.

1. homosexuality is unnatural and here is at least one source why ( Even psychology at one time used to call it a mental disorder, and since a lot of gay people been protesting that, they decided to just call it "normal" but in reality it is not any more "normal" than being a pedophile or into bestiality. And since science has no means to know how demon possession works, they have to call it a mental disorder to make up for lack of understanding of what is going on. opponent says same sex marriages are more stable than traditional marriages, what he fails to mention is that homosexuals and lesbians have a smaller pool of candidates to choose from and that gays are far more likely to make their homosexual relationships last as much as possible since they know they don't have much people to choose from like strait people do. Also gay marriage is not marriage anyway since marriage can only be between man and woman but that's another debate and im not going to discuss that here. Opponent claims that traditional marriage is in fact polygamy, not only is that laughable but I don't even understand where he gets this idea from. Traditional marriage is in fact between ONE MAN and ONE WOMAN, I don't support polygamy by believing in traditional marriage only. If you are referring to spouses who cheat on each other, then they are the ones who are breaking their marriage vows, and it has nothing to do with traditional marriage accepting this kind of behavior. As far as other nations go by legalizing gay marriage, this only proves to me that the world is getting more morally bankrupt than what it already was.

4.My opponent says that the USA has no official religion but he fails to mention that even in the courthouses where weddings are upheld, these same courthouses have The words "IN GOD WE TRUST" and when they make you swear an oath, they make you swear on the bible. and according to Wikipedia , most people in the USA identify themselves as Christians ( Which in terms of Majority, the USA can be considered a Christian nation. (73-80% consider themselves Christian believers)

5.My opponent claims that the bible was written by men and men alone, meaning that God has nothing to do with giving these men divine revelations according to chrisF. I argue the fact that no prophecy in the bible has ever been proven to be false and that alone shows evidence that the bible cannot possibly have been made by men alone without the intervention of God. There is no way for ancient people to know the future thousands of years ahead of them in great detail unless God revealed that information to them .(

I hope my readers gained a better understanding of why gay marriage is not to be implemented in our society and that will conclude my argument. thank you for your time.
Posted by Finalfan 2 years ago
Poieses: Well said! I will tell you though that in my case.. I really just love to argue! Especially with conservative fundamentalists.. but I see your point.. that is why I truly don't have a problem with what anyone believes.. I just want to find a way that will unify us all and religion seems to be the reason I keep hitting a brick wall!
Posted by ChrisF 2 years ago
Damn it, timer ran out while I was at school. For the record though, you really didn't make any actual points
Posted by Poiesis 2 years ago
But that's also subjective
Posted by Poiesis 2 years ago
I love these debates. They always seem to complicate matters instead of resolving them.
It's interesting how religious and non-religious people seem to have this mutual feeling that the other side is a bunch of heathens. There's always a struggle, and it's always about control. Almost all of the arguments are based off of subjective perspectives and... here comes mine!

As unique individuals we are fundamentally incapable of understanding the world in the same way. Since our physical forms are built differently, they function differently. We need these forms to perceive the world, so it's only logical that they see it differently. We are separated by space and time. We grow up in different environments. People are different.

The Bible is only an issue if you believe it. If you choose to join a religion which prohibits gay marriage, and you want it... you're in the wrong religion. Likewise, if a person is not part of your religion they are not bound by it. They also have no right to look down on you for believing in it.

A marriage is a holy union. Or it's a legally binding contract. Or both. Or none of the above.

Christian, Muslim, Jew. Gay, Straight, Bi. If it requires an opinion someone will always disagree. We all fear, and experience, some form of persecution for our lifestyles. That's when the debate becomes, "Who's worse?" Give me a break. We all commit some form of oppression.

If you're reading this now, you're using an electronic device. That means you are a part of civilization. And we all know what happens to people who don't join. Eventually we (the civilized) will come to the place they live, say that it's ours, and take it for ourselves.

Of course, we'll say that we're helping them. :)
We call it development, but it's really destruction.

"It's my way or the highway. Either way, there's going to be a highway"
That should be the motto of the human race.

I think we could all use more empathy and less judgment.

But that's al
Posted by Finalfan 2 years ago
I told you CelestialKnight: If you are going to use the bible as evidence for oppressing homosexuals.. dont stop there. The bible also wants you to have slaves and stone people for working on the Sabbath! So have at it if you are that devoted... or are you just cherry picking like every other christian?
Posted by Finalfan 2 years ago
O.K. so Wikipidia is a more credible source for truth than the bible. Thanks for clearing that up!
Posted by ChrisF 2 years ago
Wikipedia is also moderated and fact checked, so it's mostly accurate. In fact, some of my teachers allow us to use it for research
Posted by Finalfan 2 years ago
The Bible is exactly like People wrote the books compiled in the bible. So now you see that people didn't just start lying when Wikipidia surfaced!
Posted by Cygnus 2 years ago

You said, "Homosexuality is a sin according to the bible..."

The Bible also says that God commanded the slaughter of infants. Your point?
Posted by wildpuffin 2 years ago
The bible does not clearly say whether homosexuality is wrong. A lot of Christians don't have a problem homosexuality so don't make it sound like we do.
Vote Placed by Finalfan 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: I have yet to see an actual reason to ban gay marriage. The bible is never reason to oppress anyone. Especially since the people who use the bible against gays don't follow the bible unless it suits their agenda!