M4LFUNCTION
RationalMadman

Same-Sex Marriage Should Be Legalized

M4LFUNCTION

Pro

I believe same-sex marriage should be legalized for these reasons. Reason one, congress should not be allowed to make and pass laws telling people who they can and cannot marry. You should never be able to limit one's happiness. Reason two, take a look at our country. There are hundreds of thousands of gays in our country. There are people out there that are too stereotypical and ignorant to grow up and deal with the fact that there will be people with different sexual preferences than them in their lives.
RationalMadman

Con

I am a socialist. You are a liberal.

We have a fundamental opposition in our philosophies of politics.

You believe the individual's happiness matters more than the happiness of the leaders.

I do not.

Firstly... What exactly is 'our country'? North Korea? Saudi Arabia? If you mean this, you are in deep trouble. Your profile has no location specified and it's a very assumptive conclusion to reach that our opponent on a free-for-all online debating site is in the same country as you.

Secondly, I think we have to realise that even within USA (you mentioned 'congress') there are many EXTREMELY religion-dominated states, such as Texas and California where allowing gay marriage would in fact ANGER more people than it would appease. In any politician's eye would you think the legalisation of it would be a wise idea? I think what you are trying to do is say because one region of our planet works well with this policy, the rest of it will too... Sorry but that is just plain ignorance.

You mention " There are hundreds of thousands of gays in our country." Assuming 'congress' indicates that you live in USA may I mention the MILLIONS of HETEROSEXUAL CHRISTIANS? Oh... Suddenly hundreds of thousands isn't such a significant number to be backing your debate with. If you want to use numbers in any shape or form, you will lose.

The conclusive statement amused me. You state that "There are people out there that are too stereotypical and ignorant to grow up and deal with the fact that there will be people with different sexual preferences than them in their lives." Well. Let's see now. Is it always advisable to accept variation? Is allowing freedom of individual preferences even possible? Think of it like this. I can use your form of logic and say this in return:

There are people out there who would riot, violently protest, throw grenades at the white house, burn gays alive and kidnap members of congress if we were to legalise it ESPECIALLY in a state such as Texas. Arguably Gay rights activists are also ignorant and need to grow up and deal with the fact that there will be people with different degrees of chaotic outbursts and religious devotion that the government must take largely into account since a major role of any law or policy is to maintain peace and serenity as well as social harmony.
M4LFUNCTION

Pro

M4LFUNCTION forfeited this round.
M4LFUNCTION

Pro

M4LFUNCTION forfeited this round.
RationalMadman

Con

PENIS TO THE PU$$Y THAT'S THE WAY IT IS!
Posted by Chuz-Life 3 years ago
Chuz-Life
M4FUNCTION; I thought you might be interested in a debate I had on the subject.

http://debate.org...