the_swag_master
Axerz

Same sex marige

the_swag_master

Pro

ok before we start a dabate this is my first one so it will suck

Calling something marriage does not make it marriage. Marriage has always been a covenant between a man and a woman which is by its nature ordered toward the procreation and education of children and the unity and wellbeing of the spouses.

The promoters of same-sex "marriage" propose something entirely different. They propose the union between two men or two women. This denies the self-evident biological, physiological, and psychological differences between men and women which find their complementarity in marriage. It also denies the specific primary purpose of marriage: the perpetuation of the human race and the raising of children.

Two entirely different things cannot be considered the same thing.
Axerz

Con

I would first like to point out that even though you started this debate in the pro position, you are actually con, since you oppose gay marriage, judging from your opening statement. Therefore, I will take the con position, though I am actually pro.

I will first respond to your arguments:

"Calling something marriage does not make it marriage. "

Yes it does. The perception of marriage in the public's eyes makes it marriage, since marriage is only term made up by men.

"Marriage has always been a covenant between a man and a woman"

No, it has not. 200 years ago, the term marriage was a coverage between a white man and a white woman. And in the bible, marriage is often a covenant between a man and multiple woman.

Furthermore, this argument assumes that everyone is either a man or a woman. This is simply not true. A significant portion of the human population is transgender, meaning they are both a man and a woman.

" which is by its nature ordered toward the procreation and education of children "

This would mean that elderly people would not be allowed to marry. Over time, there have been marriage without children. So while it is true that one of the goals of marriage is to reproduce, the main goal has always been to express your love to your significant other.

"and the unity and wellbeing of the spouses."

I am not sure what you mean by this. Couples can be healthy and united without marriage. And frankly, they often are. So to say that this is a reason to get married is just not factual.

"The promoters of same-sex "marriage" propose something entirely different. They propose the union between two men or two women. This denies the self-evident biological, physiological, and psychological differences between men and women which find their complementarity in marriage. "

While it is true that there are differences between men and women, the conclusion that only men and women should marry does not follow.

To determine whether this conclusion is true, we would first need to determine the purpose of marriage.

Nowadays, there are numerous children-less marriages. From this, we can conclude that the purpose of marriage in our times is not to reproduce, regardless of whether this used to be true in the past.

People get married because they want to express their love to each other. Just like people are friends because they want to express their friendship to each other.

While friendships can occur between men and men, men wand women, and women and women, the perception of friendship is the same. And as far as I can tell, the same holds for marriage .Since the love homosexual people feel for each other does not fundamentally differ from the love heterosexual people feel (and if it does, it is not empirically proven), no conclusion on whether gay marriage should be legalised can be derived from this.

"It also denies the specific primary purpose of marriage: the perpetuation of the human race and the raising of children."

I already went over this

My arguments

I don't really have that much to say. I can point out the flaw of any argument you give me. For me, only one argument really matters. The argument that people are equal and should therefore be treated equal when it comes to expressing their love to one another.

Back to my opponent.
the_swag_master

Pro

the_swag_master forfeited this round.
Axerz

Con

My opponent forfeited. Maybe he'll return next round.
the_swag_master

Pro

the_swag_master forfeited this round.
the_swag_master

Pro

the_swag_master forfeited this round.