MattDoesGML
Soul.Purge

Same-sex marriage: Should it be legal?

MattDoesGML

Pro

My opponent, Soul.Purge, was the first who wanted to debate me on this topic. I definitely look forward to a good one! Good luck to my opponent!

Argument(s)

As long as two love each other (Including two from the same sex), they should be free to marry. Some say this should not be legal coming from religious perspectives. Here is the thing: That is their decision. Maybe in your religion, it is not allowed. But their decision is not affecting you. They might go to hell, but they are willing to live with that.

I have only seen people arguing from a religious perspective, but not everyone. So, I would like to hear Soul.Purge's perspective. I await my opponent's arguments.
Soul.Purge

Con

Thank you for having me. I will do my best.

I agree that religious arguments have no value due to reason stated by you.
I will argue that same sex marriage should not be legal. Lets start.

A) Homosexuality should be recognized as mental disorder
B) No mental disorder should be promoted.
and C) Marriage between two mentally ill people is irrational and therefore should be illegal.

A) Almost all other sexual attractions are considered to be some sort of mental disorder. I can't see why homosexuality is an exception. Either I am missing something (hopefully you can point out what exactly) or homosexuality is a mental disorder.

B) Mentally ill people exhibit abnormal behavior. Thats what they do. Thats, essentially, what mental illness is-cause of abnormal behavior. Because of the reason that it is, from 'our (heterosexual/majority)' perspective, abnormal behavior it should be in our interests to not promote it. The idea behind concept of 'mental disorders' is that some people will behave in fundamentally abnormal way. Most of us who are normal, by definition, perceive abnormal behavior as abnormal. The fact that its a abnormal behavior from majorities perspective implies that society should not promote it.

C) Marriage, essentially, is sentimental ritual instead of economical one. By allowing same-sex (or any combination of other mental disorders) marriage, society gains no practical benefit while still promoting a mental disorders, which is irrational. As the saying goes- 'No gain, just pain.'
MattDoesGML

Pro

I thank my opponent for responding. He was the first one out of the others, whom chose to debate me on this topic, to respond. He has presented his arguments very well. So, I look forward to a great debate.

I will only dispute my opponent's last premises. Whether or not his first two premises are valid, it will not change the validity of my dispute on the last premise.

C) Marriage between two mentally ill people is irrational and therefore should be illegal

"society gains no practical benefit"

Even so, that is no reason as to why same-sex marriage should be illegal. Society does not need to gain practical benefit from any marriage. Same-sex marriage does not cost society either. If you think so, in the next round, please elaborate.

"still promoting a mental disorders, which is irrational"

The "other" sexual attractions that are considered mental disorders would be things such as zoophilia. Zoophilia is illegal because it is rape; You have sexual intercourse with an animal not knowing whether or not it is consented to, but you do it anyway. Basically, those are illegal because it has bad in it. Same-sex marriage does not. It is consented and sentimental.

Even if homosexuals had a mental disorder, that fact shouldn't have the freedom of same-sex marriage taken away from them. It does not affect others, and as I said, if you think it does, please elaborate.

I await my opponent's arguments.
Soul.Purge

Con

"society gains no practical benefit"
'Even so, that is no reason as to why same-sex marriage should be illegal. Society does not need to gain practical benefit from any marriage. Same-sex marriage does not cost society either. If you think so, in the next round, please elaborate.'

Yes, you are correct. Just because action provides no benefit for society doesnt mean that it should be illegal, of course. But if, in addition to providing no benefit, it also promotes something society considers abnormal, it should be illegal.

'The "other" sexual attractions that are considered mental disorders would be things such as zoophilia. Zoophilia is illegal because it is rape; You have sexual intercourse with an animal not knowing whether or not it is consented to, but you do it anyway. Basically, those are illegal because it has bad in it. Same-sex marriage does not. It is consented and sentimental.'

Yes, you are correct in pointing out that other sexual mental disorders involve consent (or dont) but let me counter that by saying that pedophile who have never touched a kid is still mentally ill. Someone suffering from zoophilia is still mentally ill, even if he havent acted upon his disorder. From this we conclude, that person is mentally ill regardless of his real life actions. How come pedophile who havent touched a kid in his life is still mentally ill, while homosexuals are not? Consent plays no role here, because in our example, mentally ill person havent acted upon his disorder.

'Even if homosexuals had a mental disorder, that fact shouldn't have the freedom of same-sex marriage taken away from them. It does not affect others, and as I said, if you think it does, please elaborate. '
In my humble opinion, it does affect others. By marrying they are placing their relationships on public display, thus promoting them. Rest of us, who are normal, perceive homosexuality abnormal. I am arguing that normal people should not allow promotion of abnormal behavior, because its abnormal while we are normal.
MattDoesGML

Pro

MattDoesGML forfeited this round.
Soul.Purge

Con

Soul.Purge forfeited this round.
MattDoesGML

Pro

MattDoesGML forfeited this round.
Soul.Purge

Con

Soul.Purge forfeited this round.
MattDoesGML

Pro

MattDoesGML forfeited this round.
Soul.Purge

Con

Soul.Purge forfeited this round.
Posted by kingcripple 2 years ago
kingcripple
Your goal SHOULD be to win a debate. "truth" in this context is somewhat of a subjective term. How do you find out the truth when both sides claim to be truth
Posted by Soul.Purge 2 years ago
Soul.Purge
My goal here is not to win a debate, but to find out truth. If it is proved that my conclusions are invalid, I will happily refuse from them and accept more rational ones. Its up on you people to do that.
Posted by kingcripple 2 years ago
kingcripple
Con messed up with contention C: Marriage between two mentally ill people is irrational. That is a bit hateful.

His other premises, that homosexuality is a mental disorder and mental disorders should not be promoted, are spot on.

What Con MUST do in his next round is take Pro's zoophilia example and question whether Pro believes incest and pedophilia should be legal because it has to require consent at least in the case of incest. Pedophilia can be consented on, but under very shady circumstances.

Con has already won this debate because:

A. Pro can only use argumentum ad passiones, the logical fallacy of appeal to emtions, which is expected

B. Pro had not refuted Con's first and second points

I hope con can successfully recover from Pro refuting his third point. That point was just silly.

Unfortunately, due to DDO's propensity to side with pro gay marriage, this will not be a fair debate come voting time
Posted by vishali25 2 years ago
vishali25
@MattDoesGML

I don't understand why people wouldn't accept for who there are. I am frm NJ and moved to the GA. I know two people are gay and there are madly in love with each but they get constantly get bullied at school, even if they hold hands people bully them. One time, I reported this incident and nobody seemed to care. It is very saddening to see people like this.
Posted by MattDoesGML 2 years ago
MattDoesGML
@vishali25

Thank you!
Posted by vishali25 2 years ago
vishali25
great argument. I think that same sex marriage should be legal like you said, as long as two love each other, there is nothing against.
Posted by MattDoesGML 2 years ago
MattDoesGML
Soul.Purge was the second* to debate me on this topic.