Same-sex marriage should be legal and accepted

I am debating on the pro side of same-sex marriage. I noticed that in one of your comments, you are against LGBT love. Well, I have an argument against that. Have you ever heard the phrase "Love is love?" Well that's what I'll be talking about. Let me ask everyone who is heterosexual this; "when did you decide to be straight?" most people will answer with "i just am" or "i didn't choose, its natural". Well, so is being homosexual or bisexual. You don't wake up one morning and say 'i think i'll be gay!". No. Over time, you eventually learn that you have feeling for the same sex, not the opposite, or both. It is natural to be heterosexual, bisexual, or homosexual. Homosexuality is found in many species, and homophobia is only found in one. Humans. As Harvey Milk once said "If I do a good job, people won't care if I am green or have three heads." People shouldn't be discriminating others because of their sexuality, they should be choosing whether or not to give someone a job or to let them go somewhere because of how well they work or who they are as a person. I understand that many think that letting gays or lesbians get married would ruin their marriage, or somehow take over the world with rainbows and unicorns (which would be pretty cool) but that has no sense to it. Homosexuals are the same as heterosexuals, except for who they love. Saying that LGB people shouldn't be allowed to do something because of their sexuality is as ignorant as saying that people aren't allowed to sit somewhere because of their skin color or whether or not they can vote because of their gender. Now, i understand that another argument is that homosexual marriage is against the bible. Some people are atheist. Some are Muslim. Some are Jewish. Some are Buddhists. The Christian bible does not apply for all people. So why are people making judgments based off of a book that was not only written when there were still slaves and women were not equal, but also it says that God created all beings to be equal. Overall, i believe that same-sex marriage is natural and should be a right, as heterosexual is one too.

==Opening statement==

I would like to firstly state that I am quite honored to have another person challenge me to a debate. I wish the best of luck to my opponent.

To begin, I would like to state the obvious in that I am against homosexuality and marriage between homosexual people. My main argument I will be presenting is over child interest. My belief: Homosexual marriage always denies a child the correct living and growing conditions.

A small survey done last year was conducted on young adults ranging from the ages 18-39. They were asked simple questions as to how their life was growing up and how they are doing now. The study collected information from its subjects on forty different outcomes. They fall into three groups:

1. Some are essentially yes-or-no questions: are you currently married, are you currently unemployed, have you thought recently about suicide?

2. Other questions asked respondents to place themselves on a scale--for example, of educational attainment, happiness or depression, and household income.

3. Finally, "event-count" outcomes involve reporting the frequency of certain experiences--e.g., smoking marijuana or being arrested--and the number of sex partners.

15,000 people were asked to take the survey, only 3,000 completed it. 175 of those people reported their mother having a same sex romantic relationship whilst they were growing up. 73 said the same about their father.

To quote the study:

"The study looked at 40 different outcomes, but reported data for children with "lesbian mothers" and those with "gay fathers" separately. Therefore, there actually were 80 outcome measures that could be said to compare children with "homosexual parents" to those from other family structures. When compared with outcomes for children raised by an "intact biological family" (with a married, biological mother and father), the children of homosexuals did worse (or, in the case of their own sexual orientation, were more likely to deviate from the societal norm) on 77 out of 80 outcome measures. (The only exceptions: children of "gay fathers" were more likely to vote; children of lesbians used alcohol less frequently; and children of "gay fathers" used alcohol at the same rate as those in intact biological families)."

"There are eight outcome variables where differences between the children of homosexual parents and married parents were not only present, and favorable to the married parents, but where these findings were statistically significant for both children of lesbian mothers and "gay" fathers and both with and without controls. While all the findings in the study are important, these are the strongest possible ones--virtually irrefutable."

Children of homosexual parents:
IBF=intact biological family | LM=lesbian mothers | GF=gay fathers

1. Are much more likely to have received welfare (IBF 17%; LM 69%; GF 57%)
2. Have lower educational attainment
3. Report less safety and security in their family of origin
4. Report more ongoing "negative impact" from their family of origin
5. Are more likely to suffer from depression
6. Have been arrested more often
7. If they are female, have had more sexual partners--both male and female

Children of lesbian mothers specifically:

Are more likely to be currently cohabiting

Are almost 4 times more likely to be currently on public assistance

Are less likely to be currently employed full-time

Are more than 3 times more likely to be unemployed

Are nearly 4 times more likely to identify as something other than entirely heterosexual

Are 3 times as likely to have had an affair while married or cohabiting

Are an astonishing 10 times more likely to have been "touched sexually by a parent or other adult caregiver."

Are nearly 4 times as likely to have been "physically forced" to have sex against their will

Are more likely to have "attachment" problems related to the ability to depend on others

Use marijuana more frequently

Smoke more frequently

Watch TV for long periods more frequently

Have more often pled guilty to a non-minor offense

I ask that you examine this study with an open mind. I have more results to give, but I will wait.

Stargirl636 forfeited this round.

*sigh* Extend

Stargirl636 forfeited this round.

Daniel_Nemes forfeited this round.
Posted by Daniel_Nemes 1 year ago
Also, can you tell me what comment I said this in? I do not remember.
Posted by Daniel_Nemes 1 year ago
Give me a day to formulate my opening statement.
Posted by Stargirl636 1 year ago
well in your comment before you technically said that you were against
Posted by Daniel_Nemes 1 year ago
Question, what am I arguing against? Homosexuality?