Kenslim2013
Defro

Samoa airlines pay by weight scheme. Is it fair?

Defro
Started: 2/22/2014 Category: Places-Travel

Kenslim2013

Con

I believe that the pay by weight scheme with Samoa airlines is unfair as it is discriminating people depending on weight. Not all obese people are obese because they like to eat.
Some times this is health problems.
I believe in terms of privacy acts and human rights act that Samoa airlines should not be allowed to do this.
Defro

Pro

I accept this debate.

"Fair" has many definitions, and seeing that Con did not define any terms, I will.

Fair (adjective): legitimately sought, pursued, done, given, etc.; proper under the rules.
http://dictionary.reference.com...

Samoa Airlines is legitamate business, therefore, they have the right to set the rules of their business. This is not discrimination. And if obese people do not like it, then they can use another airline, which affects Samoa Air negatively because they have less customers. Therefore it is fair. I will provide a list to several other airlines that don't have this weight policy.

The Samoa Air website makes some legitimate reasons and points as to why they have this policy.

-Aircraft can only provide a certain amount of weight on each and every sector for them to sell, so their commodity is weight. If their commodity is weight, then it is definately valid and legitamate for them to have this policy.

-They gear our price per kilo by working it to pay for the sector, their objective is to carry the full payload – and give everyone equal comfort and to maximise our efficiency so they can offer lower rates in the future.

-The more they know about actual weight the more efficient they can be at reaching the target.

-You only pay for what you carry and everyone pays for what they use.

-If they know your weight in advance, they can place you where we can at least try to get you space and a seat which is comfortable and we can do that by removing seats, increasing pitch between rows, and leaving areas unoccupied.

-If you lose your weight after signing up, they pay you back.

http://www.samoaair.ws...

This shows that their policy is legitimately sought, which is the definition of the word "fair" I am using.
Kenslim2013

Con

Kenslim2013 forfeited this round.
Defro

Pro

I extend my arguments
Kenslim2013

Con

Kenslim2013 forfeited this round.
Defro

Pro

It appears that Con has abandoned the debate. I will give him one more chance to show his side.
Kenslim2013

Con

Kenslim2013 forfeited this round.
Defro

Pro

I believe 3 forfeits are sufficient enough for voters to vote Pro.
Kenslim2013

Con

Kenslim2013 forfeited this round.
Defro

Pro

.....

Vote Pro
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 2 years ago
Krazzy_Player
Kenslim2013DefroTied