AtheismJD
phLOx

Sandbox games(open world) are and will remain the most satisfactory overall

Started: 2/7/2014 Category: Games

AtheismJD

Pro

I am debating that Sandbox games provide the most satisfaction in comparison to any other single type of game.

Round 1 is acceptance the debate.
Round 2 - Opening arguments.
Round 3 - Rebuttals.
Round 4 - Closing arguments.

Rules: The rounds must be followed as stated above or the debate is invalid due to reading skills.
phLOx

Con

I am debating that Sandbox games do not provide the most satisfaction, compared to differently formatted games.
AtheismJD

Pro

Thank you for accepting the debate.

When you play a sandbox game(Red Dead Redemption, Fallout 3, Grand Theft Auto 5, Terreria, Zelda) you get freedom. You get a game that allows you do anything you want at anytime. You could go and break some pots, slay some Death claws or just explore the vast world. In these games there are sometimes minigames inside, Like in GTA5, there are 24 minigames, ranging from Gambling and Tennis to a variety or arcade games . What I'm trying to express is that a sandbox game in many ways can capture the feeling of any other type of genres but still offer more then other games.
phLOx

Con

Linear games are necessary to portray many stories. It could be just as enjoyable, if not more, than any sandbox, non-linear, open world or free-roam counterpart.

Referring to the Half-Life, F.E.A.R, Call of Duty and Medal of Honor franchises. Integrating these stories into a sandbox type world, while maintaining the feel and ambiance of the game would be difficult, if not impossible. Other genres like RTS (Starcraft, Command & Conquer) haven't tread on the sandbox system to my best knowledge, and I could imagine it would be pretty hard to integrate. Offering a "Sandbox mode" on these type of games should bore many a player quite rapidly, as having "godlike" powers to "summon" or buy any unit into the game freely will destroy some sensitive balancing and economics intended by the designers.
Slash/Beat 'em ups, Battle Arena and Turn based strategy would also be tough to adjust to the free-roam model.

Lets not mention that too much freedom can also be overwhelming for certain individuals. If a tutorial is not clear on something, you could easily go days without knowing of certain functions, goals or possibilities. Not taking into consideration the age restriction on a game like DayZ, would an 8 year old enjoy it more, or would they enjoy Half-Life: Blue Shift more? One could argue that not all young children are the same, therefore some would enjoy one more than the other. The amount of thinking in some sandbox type games could be overwhelming to those who are still underdeveloped.

A neutral example is a game like Minecraft. It is completely sandbox orientated with no specifically written objectives. While many people love this game for its ingenuity and freedom, others accuse it of bad graphics and boring gameplay. This is easily proven by doing a search online for "why I don't like Minecraft" or anything else along these lines.

Imagine a world without Street Fighter, Donkey Kong, Mario Kart, Mortal Kombat, Doom, Super Smash Bros, DotA, Counter-Strike... What kind of Sandbox game can claim the fun, fame and fortune experienced from these titles?
Thank you for reading my argument.
AtheismJD

Pro

I agree. I just wanted another strong voice so I could argue it better, thanks! I have no way of defending my position.
phLOx

Con

Great to hear. I believe all genres and types of games, as well as innovation on these themselves, are required for the future of gaming, as well as for those who enjoy them. Many open world games are a lot of fun, with the likes of GTA, Saints Row, Just Cause, The Elder Scrolls series and Far Cry to name but a few. Some are semi-linear, giving you quests that are only completable once you reach a certain level, get certain tech or complete some other prerequisite like in Borderlands, Prototype and the newer Fallout games by Bethesda.

Games are awesome, and I'm sure some of us are a bit too tied to it, perhaps even engrossed by it or made it a lifestyle. "Gaming" have been looked down upon in the past, but this mentality have changed through the course of the years, where now everyone can enjoy a game now and then. And with the amount of competitive gaming going on these days, it can even be considered a job. Amazing times we are living in indeed.
AtheismJD

Pro

I wish everyone that was on the website was like you. You're nice and clear minded. Have a good time mate.
phLOx

Con

phLOx forfeited this round.