strategyzrox
SaintlyTiger88

Santa Claus Exists

strategyzrox

Pro

Since my last opponent never made any response, I'm going to try this again.

Here's the catch: For this debate, The BoP lies with my opponent. He/She must prove, beyond reasonable doubt, that Santa Claus does not exist.

This is meant to be a serious, but fun, debate. My opponent may present his arguments in the first round.

Santa Claus: Man who brings toys to children on Christmas, flies with the aid of a magical sleigh and reindeer, and has all the other notable Santa Claus characteristics as described in American culture.
SaintlyTiger88

Con

While I certainly am a fan of St. Nicholas, the saint who I share a name with, and a man known for his generosity and giving, Santa Claus, the mythological character based on St. Nicholas, is exactly that, a myth. He is a cultural figure who is at the heart of the Christmas celebration. I've always liked the story of Santa Claus, but what one has to realize is that it is just a story. St. Nicholas was known around the world for his legendary generosity and for his charity to the poor and needy, and the character of Santa Claus was created in his honor. To really see why Santa Claus is a mythological figure, you have to look at the logic of the Santa Claus myth. The story of Santa Claus in a nutshell is that he has a toy factory in the North Pole where elves make all the toys for the boys and girls around the world. Then on Christmas Eve night, Santa Claus delivers toys to all the boys and girls around the world. To believe in Santa Claus, you would first of all have to dismiss the realities of physics and time. It is impossible for one man, in one night, to deliver toys to every boy and girl on the planet, he would have to stop time, which as we know cannot be done, although we may wish for it to be so sometimes! Also, Santa Claus has been portrayed as an old man for well over a century, has he also stopped aging, along with time? Those factors, along with the other elements of his story, such as elves, flying reindeer, and a North Pole kingdom of Christmas, are classic elements of a fairy-tale, not elements of reality.

So yes, the story of Santa Claus is an awesome one, and I've always liked Santa Claus as a character. St. Nicholas certainly did exist, but Santa Claus does not exist. He is a cultural part of our Christmas celebration, but the only time he existed was when St. Nicholas did, as St. Nicholas.
strategyzrox

Pro

To believe in Santa Claus, you would first of all have to dismiss the realities of physics and time. It is impossible for one man, in one night, to deliver toys to every boy and girl on the planet, he would have to stop time, which as we know cannot be done, although we may wish for it to be so sometimes!

I'm not so sure. Consider that Santa has about 35 Hours to make all his deliveries, since he can start early Christmas
Eve near New Zealand, and end as dawn breaks Christmas morning near Alaska. Also consider that different cultures celebrate Christmas at different times of the year. (though typically within a month of December 25)

I think that the main issue people run up against when they consider the existence of Santa Claus is the "delivery problem." How could one man deliver So many presents in one night?

The answer is that most people don't realize just how many qualifications a person needs to meet in order to warrant a visit from Santa.

In order for a household to recieve a visit from Santa:

1. The house needs to have a roof that Santa can land on. the roof also has to be the right shape and angle in order for santa to land safely.

2. The roof needs to have snow, or at least some slick surface, for Santa to land on it. Some people think that Santa can find some way to get to the house if there's no snow, but I find this idea implausible. This qualification alone would disqualify almost everybody below the tropic of Cancer.( which would also make Santa's flight plan more efficient)

3. The roof needs a chimney, and the house needs a fireplace.

4. there can't be a fire in the fireplace when Santa is scheduled to stop by.

5. Along those lines, there can't be any danger to Santa by stepping into the house. If the house has some aggressive pitbull or a four-star alarm system, Santa isn't dropping by.

6. Many jurisdictions have laws against breaking and entering. Santa would probably respect these laws.

7. The household probably needs to be Christian.

8. the Household needs to celebrate Christmas.

9. The household needs to have Children.

10. The entire household must be asleep when Santa is scheduled to drop in. places Like Japan and Alaska probably don't get a lot of visits from Santa, because Santa is scheduled to stop by these places while households are mostly awake.

11. The children have had to be good throughout the entire past year. We simply don't know how strict Santa is about that. It could be that Santa only visits absolutely saintly children. We don't know.

12. The Children need to believe in Santa Claus.

13. most crucially, the adult household members need to believe in Santa Claus. This is probably what rules out the vast, vast majority of candidates. Santa isn't going to waste time stopping by a house when parents have already laid out presents under the tree in his name.

Considering all these qualifications, there probably aren't more than a few hundred households qualified to recieve a visit from Santa in the entire world, and more than likely there are even less. It is entirely within the realm of possibility and physics that Santa could make that many stops in 35 hours.

Also, Santa Claus has been portrayed as an old man for well over a century, has he also stopped aging, along with time?

I suspect Cryogenics. Why else would he station himself at the north pole?
SaintlyTiger88

Con

Wow, those are a lot of conditions there! Okay, unless Santa's elves are doing a world-wide survey of every home in the world, Santa would have to be omnipotent to know all of that information. And according to his story, Santa delivers gifts to ALL children, excluding the naughty ones of course. I have never heard anything about any other conditions where he wouldn't deliver gifts. Once again, just the logistics of it would make it impossible.
strategyzrox

Pro

Okay, unless Santa's elves are doing a world-wide survey of every home in the world, Santa would have to be omnipotent to know all of that information.

I don't think Santa is omniscient, but I do think he might be getting his information from an omniscient source. Santa is St. Nicholas so it might be entirely possible that God gives him all the necessaary information. That, or he's hacked into the NSA.

In actuallity, the notion that Santa is a saint explains just about everything, from the flying reindeer, to the fact that he hasn't died yet. It wouldn't be the first time that God has kept bodies from decaying.

All the legends of Santa could simply be miracles that God allows to occur through St. Nicholas. (another possibility: Santa is actually already dead and delivers the gifts in a ghost-like state? the elves and neindeer might actually be angels.)

However I have another theory that doesn't count quite so much on divine intervention. Unfortunately, I'll have to elaborate on it in my next round, as I'm running short on time.

Santa delivers gifts to ALL children, excluding the naughty ones of course. I have never heard anything about any other conditions where he wouldn't deliver gifts.

Actually, I've kind of understood it in the opposite way. I've always understood that these exceptions are followed except for the naughty children, who also get visits from Santa in order to recieve coal in their stocking. A couple things to consider:

1. If according to legend, Santa comes down the chimney and there's no chimney on the house, Doesn't Santa have to skip that house in order to comply with the legend?

2.Santa probably doesn't visit the houses of naughty children directly, if anyone visits them at all. my guess is that he has teams of elves fly to these houses on the backs of a legion of reigndeer.

SaintlyTiger88

Con

SaintlyTiger88 forfeited this round.
strategyzrox

Pro

strategyzrox forfeited this round.
SaintlyTiger88

Con

SaintlyTiger88 forfeited this round.
Posted by strategyzrox 3 years ago
strategyzrox
Whoops, missed my round. I miscounted the number of days I had left. oh well. Vote pro!
Posted by CRAZ4SWAN 3 years ago
CRAZ4SWAN
:d
Posted by strategyzrox 3 years ago
strategyzrox
I understand that normally, the BoP would fall to me. I'm making what would normally be a very quick debate more interesting by giving my opponent a handicap.

And no, I am not Mr. Brief. I merely chose this topic because I thought it would be a good practice first debate. Arguing against myself would defeat the purpose.
Posted by CRAZ4SWAN 3 years ago
CRAZ4SWAN
dude i was going to debate u Mr.Brief and strategyzrox r the same person ?? lolllll look at the joined time :@
Posted by Proletariat 3 years ago
Proletariat
How can this be a serious debate if you begin by fallaciously giving the BOP to the con?
Posted by Hirakula 3 years ago
Hirakula
This is ridiculous. One cannot prove that Santa Claus does not exist. Of course BoP lies with one who claims that he does.