FREEDO
PhoenixWright

Santa Claus is REAL!

FREEDO

FREEDO

Pro

Lo, there is a disastrous myth, so unfortunate, which has been floating about on the chilled winter winds this season! Lest ye not be taken in and snared by it's deceptive lure, I have hence felt upon me an empowerment to unveil the truth before your humble hearts! Verily, Father Christmas is alive and well! Alive, well and does with beautiful precision as he always has, bringing joyous Christmas cheer to all the good young girls and boys!

I graciously thank, full-heartedly, whomever shall accept this challenge(be them a lowly scum, deceived by the viscous vexation of a charade lade upon us by a dubious society of nit-wits) and wish them best of luck in the coming rounds.

A presentation of definition is rightfully in-order:

Santa Clause:

noun
The legendary patron saint of children, commonly identified as Saint Nicholas, who brings presents to children on Christmas Eve.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com...

Real:

adjective
Being or occurring in fact or actuality; having verifiable existence.
http://education.yahoo.com...

Whomever accepts this blessed and vindictive debate agrees to an equal burden of proof.

I shall hence-with allow my opponent to set forth first arguments, in-step with my usual custom.
PhoenixWright

Con

I graciously thank my opponent for this argument- as even I once believed in Santa Claus. However, I do not particularly indulge in the insults thrown by the opposition.

First off, just to make this clear, we are talking about Santa Claus, which refers to the overweight man in a red suit, who delivers presents to good children on Christmas Eve. This does not mean Saint Nicholas, the legendary saint of the children.

Secondly-the mere prospect of Santa Claus delivering Christmas presents is impossible on Christmas Eve. If we take one good child in every family that celebrates Christmas, gave them a 2 pound toy, and delivered all the presents in 31 hours (due to time zones and time shifts), that would mean that he would have to make 822 visits per second.

The sleigh? Accounting for the fact that each present is two pounds, the total weight of the sleigh will be 321 300 tons, excluding Santa himself and the reindeer.

Eight reindeer cannot pull this amount! It is obvious! To pull such a load, 214 200 reindeer are required! This will make an average weight of 353 430 tons, excluding Santa and his Sleigh.

Such a load also accounts for enormous air resistance. Assuming that they fly through the merry air at 650 miles a second, they will almost vaporise into flame due to 14.3 QUADRILLION JOULES OF ENERGY. THE WHOLE TEAM OF 214 200 REINDEER WOULD BE WIPED OUT IN NO MORE THAN ONE SECOND.

If Santa did exist, he would be dead now.

http://www.engr.mun.ca...
FREEDO

Pro

=== RESPONSES ===

//First off, just to make this clear, we are talking about Santa Claus, which refers to the overweight man in a red suit, who delivers presents to good children on Christmas Eve. This does not mean Saint Nicholas, the legendary saint of the children.//

We shall most certainly be conversing in argumentation over St. Nick, I doth laid that before ye in the first round! He is St. Nick; he is Father Christmas; he is Santa Claus with his sleigh, presents and elves; they are all one and the same, good sir!

//Secondly-the mere prospect of Santa Claus delivering Christmas presents is impossible on Christmas Eve. If we take one good child in every family that celebrates Christmas, gave them a 2 pound toy, and delivered all the presents in 31 hours (due to time zones and time shifts), that would mean that he would have to make 822 visits per second.//

Avast! Ye be trotting about this in all the wrong manner! One may never properly calculate the time appropriate for Santa's workings! For Santa uses magic! "Aw, but there is no such thing as magic", you may, with panjandrumatic arrogancy, spout from the depths of your lungs! But I do gleefully beseech to you this is not the truth, for magic is merely a mysterious science! The most mysterious of sciences it is--indeed, indeed, indeed it is!--including within it the ways of quantum physics, that is truth my friend.

Read, in full, Albert Einstein's infamous Theory of Relativity here:
Preface: http://en.wikisource.org...
Part I: http://en.wikisource.org...
Part II: http://en.wikisource.org...
Part III: http://en.wikisource.org...
Appendix: http://en.wikisource.org...

According to the clear implications of Einstein's Theory of Relativity, it is entirely and fully plausible for Santa to deliver all the presents in time. For time/space may be convexed in such a way so that, relative to us, he is moving about many destinations within an instance. Oh, the wonder!

Little beknowst to our feeble human world, the elves are an incredibly advanced civilization. They have utilized the spectacular potential behind, what is to us, the great conundrumous and enigmatic field of science. Their technology is also the reason Santa has not fallen deceased to his elderly longevity.

//Sources://

What in the name of Jack Frost is this? Your pernicious and despicable source gives no sources of his own or even any presentation, whatsoever, of his calculations for how he could have possibly come to those results for that matter. Your source, sir, is void and at an utterly miserable and invariable loss of any verifiable reliability in any form acceptable! Your audacity for deception is stunning!

=== ARGUMENT ===

NORAD:

The North American Aerospace Defense Command(shortened NORAD for some peculiar reason not known to me) has been tracking good ol' Father Christmas for some time now, shouldn't you know it!

Here, I present to you, is their website, in all it's officiality: http://www.norad.mil...
"The North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) is a bi-national United States and Canadian organization charged with the missions of aerospace warning, aerospace control and maritime warning for North America. Aerospace warning includes the monitoring of man-made objects in space, and the detection, validation, and warning of attack against North America whether by aircraft, missiles, or space vehicles, through mutual support arrangements with other commands. Aerospace control includes ensuring air sovereignty and air defense of the airspace of Canada and the United States. The May 2006 NORAD Agreement renewal added a maritime warning mission, which entails a shared awareness and understanding of the activities conducted in U.S. and Canadian maritime approaches, maritime areas and inland waterways."

The military does not fool around, sonny!

"PETERSON AIR FORCE BASE, Colo. –The North American Aerospace Defense Command's NORAD Tracks Santa program had a record year for 2009 culminating in the early morning hours of Christmas day."

"More than 13 million visitors from 231 countries also tracked Santa on the Web site at www.noradsanta.org. The site, which featured both an interactive map and the Google Earth map, offered photos, videos and family-friendly games for visitors throughout the month of December."
http://www.norad.mil...

I anticipatively await my opponent's response in the speedily approaching round that lays before us!
PhoenixWright

Con

I thank my opponent for responding with such vigour. However, I have one request: Please, stop the use of Old English. I am sure that the readers will be able to understand just fine with plain English.

I apologize for the seeming lack of sources on my side-however, the information that I have found mostly comes from the opponents sources.

//We shall most certainly be conversing in argumentation over St. Nick, I doth laid that before ye in the first round! He is St. Nick; he is Father Christmas; he is Santa Claus with his sleigh, presents and elves; they are all one and the same, good sir!//

I'm sorry to point this out, but you did not make this very clear. The only time you stated Saint Nicholas was in the definition of Santa Claus. Secondly, they are similar, but not the same. Santa deals with all CHILDREN. Saint Nicholas deals with THE POOR OF ALL AGES. The legend of Santa sprouted from Saint Nicholas.
http://www.stnicholascenter.org...

//Avast! Ye be trotting about this in all the wrong manner! One may never properly calculate the time appropriate for Santa's workings! For Santa uses magic! "Aw, but there is no such thing as magic", you may, with panjandrumatic arrogancy, spout from the depths of your lungs! But I do gleefully beseech to you this is not the truth, for magic is merely a mysterious science! The most mysterious of sciences it is--indeed, indeed, indeed it is!--including within it the ways of quantum physics, that is truth my friend.//

I agree that 'magic' is real. However, magic is merely one thing- deception. This can be briefly summed with this source, which is written and posted by the public:

http://www.blurtit.com...

//Little beknowst to our feeble human world, the elves are an incredibly advanced civilization. They have utilized the spectacular potential behind, what is to us, the great conundrumous and enigmatic field of science. Their technology is also the reason Santa has not fallen deceased to his elderly longevity.//

Please, do not claim that I have unreliable sources if you cannot back up one of your claims. Please provide legitimate proof in your next argument that these so called 'elves' exist and are as what they are depicted to be.
These are some of the comments made by the question "Do elves exist?"

"Tolkein wrote extensively of Elven culture.

Tolkein wrote fiction."

""Do Elves exist?"

No, but gullible people do."

"It seems very unlikely. If they do exist then they would have been uncovered by now. It would be really difficult for another sentient species to coexist with us on a global scale and not be noticed."
http://answers.yahoo.com...

//What in the name of Jack Frost is this? Your pernicious and despicable source gives no sources of his own or even any presentation, whatsoever, of his calculations for how he could have possibly come to those results for that matter. Your source, sir, is void and at an utterly miserable and invariable loss of any verifiable reliability in any form acceptable! Your audacity for deception is stunning!//

Please, stop with the misconduct. The audience grows tired of the insults that you throw to your opposition.

//The military does not fool around, sonny!//

Once again, please stop with the insults.

//Here, I present to you, is their website, in all it's officiality: http://www.norad.mil......
"The North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) is a bi-national United States and Canadian organization charged with the missions of aerospace warning, aerospace control and maritime warning for North America. Aerospace warning includes the monitoring of man-made objects in space, and the detection, validation, and warning of attack against North America whether by aircraft, missiles, or space vehicles, through mutual support arrangements with other commands. Aerospace control includes ensuring air sovereignty and air defense of the airspace of Canada and the United States. The May 2006 NORAD Agreement renewal added a maritime warning mission, which entails a shared awareness and understanding of the activities conducted in U.S. and Canadian maritime approaches, maritime areas and inland waterways."//

This I find irrelevant to the argument. Yes, they are the people who track Santa. But if you are going to mention them, at least put the right webpage on, instead of the official military side of the organization.

//"More than 13 million visitors from 231 countries also tracked Santa on the Web site at www.noradsanta.org. The site, which featured both an interactive map and the Google Earth map, offered photos, videos and family-friendly games for visitors throughout the month of December."//

I have taken a good look into this website. It states that it is working on finding Santa, and that I cannot rebut, but question.
Do you have any proof that their operation is a success? Or even solid evidence proving Santa's existence?
There is no proof on the page evident.

//I anticipatively await my opponent's response in the speedily approaching round that lays before us!//

So do I, so do I. I wait for a response eagerly.
FREEDO

Pro

=== RESPONSES ===

//I have one request: Please, stop the use of Old English.//

Verily I beseech unto thee, I do find within my volition an inseparable compulsion to continue in my seemingly bizarre manner of discourse you have so unfortunately found disapproval with. But why, oh why?--you may ask....I am not entirely certain concerning my causations, to be frank. It hath not much to do with the subject of this debate we are commencing...I just felt like it...and do as such continue in this merry feeling. So shutteth the hole in your facial region!

I jest with you, the rhetoric shall be toned down, my friend.

Also, may I make conspicuous, if this is my opponent's one request, it is on record that my opponent does not request you to vote for him. ;)

//I agree that 'magic' is real. However, magic is merely one thing- deception. This can be briefly summed with this source, which is written and posted by the public:

http://www.blurtit.com.../

Ye would, with seriousness, use this as a source? You might as well have used Yahoo Answers. *laughter*
Here lay some more honorable references from Merriam Webster:

Magic:

noun
An extraordinary power or influence seemingly from a supernatural source. [1]

Supernatural:

noun
Departing from what is usual or normal especially so as to appear to transcend the laws of nature. [2]

//Please, do not claim that I have unreliable sources if you cannot back up one of your claims. Please provide legitimate proof in your next argument that these so called 'elves' exist and are as what they are depicted to be.

Tolkein wrote fiction."

""Do Elves exist?"

No, but gullible people do."

http://answers.yahoo.com.../

Oh...it appears as though you have sited Yahoo Answers............

1. Any lot who has ever made use of Yahoo Answers knows quite well why high reliability, it has not.

2. The best answer picked for the question was:

"Yes. Elves are a type of Faerie. The little ones were once well known and the old world peoples recieved aid from them on a regular basis. The new world people and modern thought has closed peoples minds. Christian society drove the love of Mother Earth and the sacred elements out of mainstream society. The Faerie world lost faith in us and closed the veil between our worlds until humans once again opened their eyes and healed the earth. Over the last decade or so people have begun to return to their roots and people are becoming more environmentally aware. The open minded people are once again seeing faeries and they are once again extending their love and aid to us. We just need to quiet our selves once more so that we may see and hear their songs."

The asker replied:

"That's what I believe as well. I am not a wiccan, but I am a dowser. We call upon devas for help from time to time.
Thanks for a great answer!!!"

3. Foolish fool's foolishness is foolishly foolish.

4. As for my providing of evidence for their existence, ye need look no further than the definition and common sense.

Elf:

noun

A lively, mischievous child. [3]

Alas, no reasonable burden lies upon me, within the context of this debate, to argue the existence of children. It lies upon you to prove otherwise! What an absurd suggestion you make, sir! How absurd indeed. For goodness sake, it is an outrage! Defend your claim that children do not exist! Anyone who does not defend their claims is an ignorant coward! If ye do fail in your assertion you, indeed, have no rightful claim of victory upon this debate! Defend it, good sir, good sir, defend it!!

//Once again, please stop with the insults.//

Calling you "sonny" is not an insult, fella. The rest be a simple playful jesting in-line with a humorous persona. (See my other debates, I've never resulted to personal attacks)

//This I find irrelevant to the argument. Yes, they are the people who track Santa. But if you are going to mention them, at least put the right webpage on, instead of the official military side of the organization.//

Hear ye! Hear ye! My opponent has not even an inclination towards any attempt at a rebuttal! It goes un-challenged. Furthermore, in yet another act of deception, my opponent remarks that I could have at least linked to the Santa-tracking website instead of the official government site. But, you see, linking to the official site is unmistakably the most possessional thing I could have done. Not only do I, with conclusivity, present the apparent legitimacy of my argument but one of the very links I provided links directly to the site you complain of not having a presence! The shame...

//I have taken a good look into this website. It states that it is working on finding Santa, and that I cannot rebut, but question.
There is no proof on the page evident.//

Glad to see you concede. Supplication of questionings is a fine start, my lad. NORAD will by streaming--streaming, it shall!--live satellite images on Christmas Eve and has been doing so for awhile now. This is ,consequentially, substantial evidence for the existence of that great Chris Kringle.

=== FURTHER ARGUMENTS ===

NASA:

The undeniable existence of Santa Claus is also espoused by the The National Aeronautics and Space Administration.

"Santa Claus and his reindeer will have some expert help this Christmas Eve, as they streak around the world to deliver joy and gifts to children everywhere. NASA flight controllers in Houston's Mission Control Center will watch over Santa throughout the night, just as they watch over the International Space Station and its crew every day."

http://www.nasa.gov...

"He may see us when we're sleeping, know when we're awake, and know if we've been bad or good, but thanks to new images from NASA, we can now catch a rare, behind-the-scenes glimpse of some of Santa Claus' summer estates."

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov...

"NASA Kennedy Space Center's three-mile-long Shuttle Landing Facility has been available for emergency landings by Santa Claus ever since its construction was completed nearly three decades ago."

http://www.nasa.gov...

"Kennedy's Shuttle Landing Facility, with its 15,000 feet of runway nestled in the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge, should be a familiar sight along the Space Coast for Santa. Like many other government agencies, NASA grants Santa permission to fly over Kennedy's airspace during his globetrotting flight, so there will be no mistaking mistletoe for missiles."

http://www.nasa.gov...

"NASA prepared to show Santa Claus its green technology projects.

Every year, NASA grants Santa permission to fly over its base in Cape Canaveral during the night of December 24 as part of his itinerary across the world. For centuries, old St. Nick has been using green technologies to power his vehicle: Reindeer-Powered Propulsion, or RPP using NASA acronym terms."

http://www.examiner.com...

As you conceded to NORAD, so too is my evidence from NASA irrefutable.

=== SOURCES ===

1. http://www.merriam-webster.com...
2. http://www.merriam-webster.com...
3.http://education.yahoo.com...
PhoenixWright

Con

PhoenixWright forfeited this round.
Posted by GodSands 6 years ago
GodSands
Yeah alright, I just wouldn't vote for myself. To vote for yourself says "Yeah, I'mmm obviously better." There's no humility in voting for yourself.
Posted by FREEDO 6 years ago
FREEDO
Not really. I vote how I see is fair. When I feel that I lost a debate I vote against myself.
Posted by GodSands 6 years ago
GodSands
Than# Sorry. (4:20am)
Posted by GodSands 6 years ago
GodSands
Really hate when people vote for themselves. It's cheaper that chips.
Posted by PhoenixWright 6 years ago
PhoenixWright
Merry Christmas too.
Posted by FREEDO 6 years ago
FREEDO
I thank you as well, Phoenix. Merry Christmas.
Posted by edgeworthwins 6 years ago
edgeworthwins
Sigh...here i am i am still using DDO i must say, it was pretty fun just unloading...
Posted by PhoenixWright 6 years ago
PhoenixWright
FREEDO, i would just like to say:

Sorry I forfeited. But i admit defeat on my own personal accord (doesnt mean you should vote entirely for FREEDO, but do what you will ;) )

This was a good debate.
Thank you for it.

PHOENIXWRIGHT
Posted by Saint.James 6 years ago
Saint.James
edgeworthwins are you not on DDO?
Posted by FREEDO 6 years ago
FREEDO
Discordia is strong with this one. Welcome to the site.
Vote Placed by Sojourner 6 years ago
Sojourner
FREEDOPhoenixWrightTied
Vote Placed by FREEDO 6 years ago
FREEDO
FREEDOPhoenixWrightTied
Vote Placed by Saint.James 6 years ago
Saint.James
FREEDOPhoenixWrightTied