BennyW
Hardcore.Pwnography

Santa Claus is a creepy old man

Hardcore.Pwnography

BennyW

Pro

I will be arguing that for several reasons Santa Claus is a creepy old Man, for the sake of this argument we will assume Santa exists
1. He sees you when you're sleeping he knows when you're awake
2. He climbs down people's chimney's in the middle of the night
3. He has a slave force of midgets working in his sweatshop
4. He wants stranger's kids to sit on his lap
5. He is anti-Semitic ever notice how he never goes to the Jewish Kid's houses?
6. He lives at the North Pole secluded from society, and outside the jurisdiction of international law.

It is for the above stated reasons that I believe Santa is a creepy and maybe even evil old man.
My opponent will have to defend his case why Santa is harmless
Hardcore.Pwnography

Con

Challenge accepted! As Pro has presented arguments in the first round, I will rebut them as well as presenting my own.

First, let's see what creepy really means.

According to Merriam Webster, creepy is of, relating to, or being a creep : annoyingly unpleasant
http://www.merriam-webster.com...

There are many perspectives that can be taken with this debate. As Pro did not define this case, I will.

For the sake of this debate, I believe that we should be looking through the eyes of the little child, as they are the true
stakeholders when it comes to christmas. Santa directly affects little kids, as they are the ones who believe that Santa is real and "receive gifts" from Santa when it comes to Christmas.

Furthermore, Pro says, "My opponent will have to defend his case why Santa is harmless."
I would like to contend this statement.

As the resolution, and Pro has affirmed it, is Santa is creepy, I believe that it is my burden to prove that Santa is not creepy, not why Santa is harmless. If this resolution was "Santa causes harm", then that would be a related burden to take.

Therefore, I will prove that Santa is not a creepy man.

I will go through a quick rebuttal of Pro's arguments.

1. First off, this line from the song "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" is simply a metaphor. It is not to be taken for it's literal meaning. It is not possible that Santa should see every child when they are sleeping and knowing when they are awake. Therefore, it should be obvious that this line is a metaphor. I believe that this line suggests that Santa is like a fatherly and protective figure towards children. Therefore, as Santa does not truly see kids when they are sleeping and knowing when they are awake, Santa is not a creepy man, but rather a kind, protective man.

2. The question that must be asked is this: does breaking and entering cause you to be a creep? I believe that this is false. I am sure that there are many burglars that have been arrested for breaking and entering, but are not considered creeps. Being a criminal does not necessarily entitle you to be a creep as well. Therefore, Santa is not a creepy man, but could be considered a criminal.

3. Does Santa really have a slave force of elves? Let's see.
According to Dictionary.com, a slave is a person who is the property of and wholly subject to another.
http://dictionary.reference.com...

Santa's elves choose to work for Santa, they are not forced to work in those conditions. If you look at any Christmas movie, the elves are always portrayed as happy, and happy to be working for Santa. It is my belief that if you were a slave, you would not have this happiness to work for your master. Therefore, it is logical to assume that Santa's elves are not slaves at all, but rather employees or volunteers. Therefore Santa is not a creepy man, but rather a kind boss.

4. Does he? When you go to malls, it is always kids who line up to sit in Santa's lap. It is my belief that Santa does not want kids to sit in his lap, but rather kids want to sit in his lap. And like the kind man he is, he allows them to sit in his lap and take pictures. Therefore, Santat is not a creepy man, but rather, a kind man.

5. Let's see why Santa does not go to jewish houses. It is because Jewish people don't celebrate Christmas, but rather, they celebrate Hannukah. Without a Christmas Tree, how is Santa going to give presents to Jewish kids? It is not possible. Therefore, it is pointless to go to Jewish houses. Therefore Santa is not a creepy man, but rather, a sensible man.

6. Why does living at the North Pole entitle him to be creepy? It is quite possible that Santa is anti-social and does not like interacting with society. As people, everyone is different, and just because you are different from society, it does not mean that you are creepy. Therefore, Santa is not a creepy man, but rather, someone who would rather live with his family apart from society.

Moving on to arguments:

1. Children's Perspective

As I affirmed earlier, it is my belief that the children's perspective is the most important in this debate, as they are the true stakeholders.

What do the children think of Santa? Certainly not creepy. The children look forward to Santa each year to bring them presents. It is logical to assume that as a result, tehy believe that Santa is not creepy, because if he were, then the children would not look forward to Christmas each year. As children are what matters most in this debate, we see that this is truly important.

Therefore, as the children do not think that Santa is creepy, he is not a creepy man.

2. Parent's Perspective

How do children learn of Santa? Most times, their parents teach them these stories when they are little. As parents always want the best for their children, it is logical to assume that they too believe that Santa is not creepy. Because if he were, then it is obvious that the parents would not teach their kids about Santa.

Furthermore, we also see proof of parents' and childrens' thoughts at malls during Christmas time. Children look forward to taking a picture with Santa and are happy to. Parents allow their kids to sit on Santa's lap, and they take pictures. Therefore it is logical to assume that they do not believe Santa creepy. If Santa was replaced with a man with mice running all over him, it would be a different story. Then, almost all children and parents would avoid them, as they believe that he is creepy.

Conclusion.

Therefore, as the majority of all people believe that Santa is not a creepy man, he is not a creepy man. As a democratic society, it is majority rules. It seems to me that Pro is the only person who believes that Santa is creepy.

Furthermore, if you look at any movie or TV show, Santa is always conveyed as a jolly man, not a creepy man. Therefore, it is obvious that no one else thinks of him as creepy.

I have pointed out two types of people, parents and children, who most likely "interact" with Santa on an annual basis on Christmas. I have shown why they do not believe Santa as creepy. As these people are the ones who interact with Santa the most, it is their perspective that matters the most. These people also make up the majority of any population. Therefore, as the majority and most important people believe that Santa is not creepy, Santa is not creepy.

So Vote Con.

BennyW

Pro

I thank my opponent for coming up with good arguments last round.

I would like to add that the way the argument is set up even if my opponent disproves Santa is creepy in one of my points, he doesn’t win unless he disproves them all.

Since I didn’t define creepy I can’t really contest my opponents definition.

When I say harmless I am including psychological harming, being excessively creepy especially around children can cause people psychological harm.

1. My opponent claims the line from the song is a metaphor. That may well be but the reasoning he gives is that it would be impossible for Santa to watch everyone, it would be equally impossible for him to fly around the world in a single night if we are looking at normal circumstances.
  2. Criminals most likely are creepy since part of the definition my opponent presented was “annoyingly unpleasant” and I think most people would find breaking and entering to be annoyingly unpleasant.
  3. My opponent claims the Elves are not truly slaves, but most of the evidence he has likely seen comes from movies that could very likely be pro-Santa propaganda. Besides if you have ever seen Gone with the Wind you see the slaves in that are portrayed as being happy.
  4. Santa expects kids to sit on his lap true he doesn’t force anyone but would parents allow any other stranger to do that?
  5. If it is Santa’s goal to spread joy to the whole world on Christmas, then he is neglecting a very valuable clientele, in fact it would be beneficial for him, there is a higher chance that the kids’ parents are either lawyers, bankers, or actors which could all be beneficial for Santa’s image. He could go 8 nights rather than one. Perhaps though he is just lazy and doesn’t want to work more than 1 night a year.
  6. People often consider recluses to be creepy even if it isn’t warranted.

1. Children's Perspective

My opponent says Santa is not creepy from the kids’ perspectives, but neither is the pedophile who tries to entice them to his car with candy.

2. Parent's Perspective

He may not seem creepy to many parents, but maybe they never gave it much thought, Most parents teach their kids not to talk to strangers, yet they let them talk to Santa despite them never having met except for a few minutes a year.

I understand my opponent when he says that creepy is relative to the person’s perspective and that is true however, there are certain things almost everyone finds creepy: Strangers talking to their kids, strangers breaking into their house, strangers watching their kid when they sleep.

Thanks again and I look forward to the next round.

Hardcore.Pwnography

Con

Note how most of Pro's arguments and rebuttals are one liners. This shows little depth in Pro's reasoning.

I would like to contest Pro when he says "I would like to add that the way the argument is set up even if my opponent disproves Santa is creepy in one of my points, he doesn’t win unless he disproves them all."

As Pro has affirmed the resolution that Santa is creepy, he is trying to prove that without a doubt Santa is a creepy man. As he is side proposition, he must prove that Santa is creepy in all circumstances. However, as side opposition, if I even provide one case, where the majority of people believe that Santa is not creepy, then he is not a creepy man. Then I have won.

Rebuttal:

1.
No, I believe that you have misunderstood my argument. This line, like all metaphors, should be taken for more than it's literal meaning, as Santa does not literally watch every child when they are sleeping. There has been no evidence of Santa actually sitting outside your window and watching you. Therefore, it is logical to assume that he does not do this. When Santa flies around the world, he actually flies around the world. As this line is taken for it's literal meaning, it is not a metaphor. This has been shown in many movies, which Pro tries to discredit (more on this later), but never has any movie or show shown Santa sitting outside your window and watching you. This leads to the logical conclusion that this line is not literal, but rather metaphorical.

Furthermore, Pro does not even attack my rebuttal, as he concedes to me that this line is a metaphor, and not to be taken for it's literal meaning. He does not explain why being "equally impossible for him to fly around the world in a single night if we are looking at normal circumstances", would entitle Santa to be creepy. I have explained that this line is a metaphor, and Pro agrees with me "that may well be", and as a result, Santa is not a creepy man. It is not necessary to provide reasoning as to why this line is a metaphor anymore, as Pro has agreed. Therefore, I win on this point.

2. Yes, that is correct, most people would find breaking and entering to be creepy. However, they find only the act to be creepy, not the burglar themselves. I am sure no one finds Brad Pitt to be creepy, for example. If he were to break into your house, I am sure you would not find him to be annoyingly unpleasant, but rather, you would greet him and welcome him. You may find the fact that he came in through your chimney to be unpleasant, but not Brad Pitt himself.

It is the same with Santa. This resolution is "Santa is a creepy man", not "Breaking and Entering is creepy". Therefore, Pro's rebuttal does not make any sense, whatsoever. There is a difference between committing creepy acts and being creepy yourself. I am sure many people play violent video games, but are not violent people themselves. There is little correlation between actions and what type of person you are. Perhaps the simplest reason why Santa goes down the chimney rather than using on the front door, is because it is locked. The reason why he doesn't want to knock may be because he is kind and does not want to wake anyone up.

Pro fails to prove why going down your chimney may be creepy. I have proved why it is not creepy. Therefore, I win on this point also.

3. Pro suggests that all christmas movies that I have seen are pro-Santa propaganda. I challenge Pro to support his case. I challenge him to show me one movie where elves are not happy to be working for Santa and are slaves. Mind you, you must find a movie where the elves are not being paid, as slaves don't get paid.

Furthermore, even if these elves were slaves, Pro does not explain why having slaves working for you makes you a creepy man. I, like almost every teenager in the world, can be considered a slave. I do chores for my parents, and my parents, "own" me in a sense. I often do not get paid for my chores. Are my parents creepy as a result? Does that not mean that almost every parent in the world is creepy? I don't consider my friend's parents to be creepy, and I am sure if you met my parents, they are also not creepy.

It is doubtful and hard to believe. As Pro fails to explain his case, I win on this point.

4. Pro makes a feeble attempt at a rebuttal here - it makes no sense. Obviously, the parents don't consider Santa or the act of lap sitting to be creepy, as they allow their kids to sit on his lap. Parents don't let their kids sit on any other stranger's lap because they don't know them, and as parents, it is instinctive to distrust strangers when dealing with kids and have a first impression of creepiness about them.

5. Okay fine, he's neglecting a valuable clientele. But how does that make him creepy? It just shows that he is inept at business, but not creepy. Pro again fails to explain why this would warrant Santa to be creepy.

6. Perhaps he is forced to live by himself in the North Pole. If he lived among society, he would be bombarded everyday with requests of presents. That is why many celebrities choose to live apart from society, to get away from the stress and paparazzi. I am sure that people don't find celebrities to be creepy, even though they live apart from society. Just look at Justin Bieber. He has millions of fans, and he lives apart from society with other celebrities, otherwise he would cause chaos in society. I am sure that none of his fans find him creepy at all. Therefore, I am sure that people don't find Santa to be creepy. Therefore, I win on this point as well.

Rebuilding:

1. Children's Perspective

That accusation is false actually. Children are tought at young ages to be wary of strangers and never follow strangers or take anything from strangers. Therefore, this creates a mentality within the child that strangers are creepy. Obviously, if children were tought to be wary of Ssanta, this would cause a mentality within the child that Santa is creepy. However, they are not. This means that they do not find Santa creepy like pedophiles and strangers. In fact, most children do not even view Santa as a stranger, but rather as a friend. Therefore, Santa is not creepy, but pedophiles still are.

Therefore, my argument is still valid.

2. Parent's Perspective

As I said before, Santa is not viewed as a stranger, but rather a friend. Let me give you this example. There are a lot of religious fanatics in our world. These people have never even met their deity that they worship. However, do they think of him as creepy? No, but rather a protector and a friend.

Furthermore, parents let kids talk to Santa in malls and crowded areas, where there are witnesses and cameras. If there was a Santa in a dark alley somewhere, it would be a very different story. Therefore, the setting influences whether or not someone is creepy. As Santa never does dealings in back alleys like some people, he is not creepy like those people. As I said, Santa is viewed more as a friend, not a stranger, therefore, he is not creepy.

Conclusion.

As my opponent has failed to explain many of his points, and expand on them to give them more depth, he has not truly looked into the fact that Santa is a creepy man. Therefore, as I have provided much more analysis, I believe that I have won this round.

I have proven through my two arguments cases where people do not find Santa creepy. I have also refuted each of Pro's arguments as to why Santa is not creepy. At the end of this round, none of Pro's arguments stand and my arguments are still valid and important to the round.

Therefore, I have won this debate.
Vote Con.

Surely no one here thinks Santa is creepy.
I am sure he played a big part in your childhood.
It's almost Christmas, so be nice to Santa who has given you presents when you were a kid, and vote not creepy.

I look forward to more failed arguments by my opponent in the next round. Thanks.

BennyW

Pro

My opponent gave some well thought out responses last time that I want to respond to. It is true I have been responded in a sentence or two to each point but that was because I didn’t see it necessary to go into too much detail.

1. The fact that the song even suggests Santa is watching you would seem to imply that you have no privacy. It could be metaphorical to a certain extent while still having truth to it. If he did not literally watch all the children how would he know who is naughty or nice? [1][2]
2. Someone who is breaking and entering may themselves not be creepy but since their act is creepy they will become creepy for doing it.
3. The fact that Santa’s primary payment is milk and cookies, which he eats himself leaves little for the elves to be paid in. If he can’t pay them can they be much more than slaves? Interestingly if the Cookies you leave for Santa were made by Keeblers they too would be made by Elves. The difference between you slaving away fro your parents and Elves for Santa has to do with the family, the Elves aren’t related to Santa, he has no paternal obligation to them. Sure he gives them free room and board but slaves get that. In fact that could be another reason he lives on the North Pole, like the Russians had their worst prisons in Siberia, making it hard to escape. (for more see first video)
4. The Parents know Santa like the know Tom Cruise or any movie star, they know them but not personally, should parents let their children sit on Tom Cruise’s lap? It is supervised however as most parent would leave their kid alone with Santa unsupervised, therefore they acknowledge the risk of leaving their children alone with strangers.
5. Avoiding Jews is creepy to Jews there is not much more that can be said here.
6. It is true like any celebrity, he desires privacy, however since he goes to one of the most remote places on Earth, he actually draws attention to himself.
In addition to all that some songs attesting Santa’s creepiness, “Santa Baby” and “I saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus” Santa is a married man what is he doing? One more piece of evidence I would like to present is the song "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer", Again like my opponent did with Santa climbing down the chimney he may admit it’s a crime but not creepy, but I reiterate, if someone is a reckless driver with a hit and run, that would be annoyingly unpleasant and someone to be avoided. (see second video) Don’t you want justice for Grandma? My opponents conclusion is an appeal to emotion and would be appropriate were it the last round, but since we he has two more rounds, it is premature. Thus far I have established Santa to be a trespassing, adulterous, reckless driver who likes to watch little kids’ every move.

1 http://www.google.com...
2
http://www.whatsbuzzin.com...

Hardcore.Pwnography

Con

Note that Pro admits that he has been responding with a sentence or two. Arguments cannot be well thought out and conveyed with one or two lines. Therefore, Pro would have a lack of depth in his analysis of his arguments. Therefore, I would have the more convincing arguments.

Moving on to refutation of what Pro has said in the last round.

1. I don't know how Santa finds out how people are naughty or nice. But how do you supposed countries find poulation densities, or CO2 emissions? It is the same things. Perhaps they have some technology to calculate these figures. You think people to actually measure every square foot of a country? That is unreasonable. Just as how Santa actually watches every single child.

Pro says, "It could be metaphorical to a certain extent while still having truth to it."
However, Pro has already conceded to me that this line is a metaphor, not to be taken for its literal meaning. Therefore, this entire argument is useless.

Therefore, my refutation still stands about how Santa does not literally watch every single child. As that is the crux of this argument, this argument is no longer valid. Therefore, on the basis of this argument, Santa is not creepy.

2. Yes, that may be the case if you are a common person, like you and me. However, Pro fails to realize that Santa is a celebrity that people look forward to, all over the world. People enjoy and want Santa to give them presents. People know that Santa comes down their chimneys to put presents under the Christmas tree. People realize this. If they truly found Santa creepy, they would board up their chimneys and not allow Santa to come through. The fact that people do not do this means that no one finds Santa creepy. The fact that people look forward to Christmas and presents means that no one finds Santa creepy.

Therefore, Santa is not creepy. The main point of this argument is that Santa climbs down your chimney in the middle of the night, and that makes him creepy, However people want him to do this. Therefore, he is not annoyingly unpleasant as the definition I provided. But rather, as people look forward to this, he is pleasant. Therefore, Santa is not creepy. Therefore this argument is invalid.

3. Obviously Santa has another source of revenue. You need to have money in order to run a toy factory. You need to pay money for electricty to run the factory and you need money to buy the resources and materials needed to make toys. Santa would also need money to buy food and other basic neccessities, as he cannot possibly survive a whole year just on milk and cookies from one day. This all shows that he has another source of revenue, meaning that he would be able to pay the elves.

Pro says that, "The difference between you slaving away fro your parents and Elves for Santa has to do with the family, the Elves aren’t related to Santa, he has no paternal obligation to them."

First, let me point out that you spelt for wrong. Secondly, okay then, how about teachers? If my teacher asks me to fetch him a stapler, or send down the attendence, I can hardly say no. I have to do what he says, or I get sent down to the principal's office. I am not related to my teacher. Does that not also mean that every student is a slave as well? Furthermore, pro still has not explained why being a slave to someone entitles him to be creepy.

The main point of this argument is that because Santa has slaves, he is creepy. However pro does not explain why that makes him creepy. Furthermore, I have proven that he does not have any slaves at all. Therefore I win on this point

4. Are you even speaking english here? It is difficult to understand what you are saying due to your lack of grammar.
Prove to me that most parents would leave their kids alone with Santa unsupervised.

My first rebuttal still stands. It is kids and parents who want their children to sit on Santa's lap. Santa does not necessarily enjoy this. Therefore, he is not creepy.

5. Pro says, "Avoiding Jews is creepy to Jews there is not much more that can be said here."
Okay... Why is avoiding people creepy to them? Again Pro fails to explain this concept. There's this girl I like, and she avoids me. I don't find her creepy at all actually.

Therefore, due to lack of proof and explanation, I win this argument.

6. I spot 2 contradictions here. Pro says, "It is true like any celebrity, he desires privacy, however since he goes to one of the most remote places on Earth, he actually draws attention to himself."

How would he draw attention to himself if he is in one of the most remote places on Earth? Basically Pro says, because he lives where there's no one around, people notice him. That doesn't make any sense.

Furthermore, Pro previously said "People find recluses creepy."

If he draws attention to himself, does that not mean that he is not a recluse? A recluse tends to avoid other people, so if lives intentionally at the north pole, as it seems you are implying, it means he intentionally draws attention to himself. Therefore, he is not creepy because he is not a recluse.

You have also conceded that as any celebrity, he desires privacy. Meaning that Santa, like any celebrity, is not creepy because he lives apart from society.

Therefore, I have won this point.

Rebuilding:

Oops, nothing to do here, Pro did not even attack my arguments this round.

Conclusion:

Pro says in his last bit: "“I saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus” Santa is a married man what is he doing?"

First off, the song is "Mommy kissing Santa Claus", not "Santa Claus kissing Mommy". This implies that the mom wants to kiss Santa, and Santa does not want to. As the nice guy he is, he doesn't want to hurt her feelings.

Furthermore, does cheating entitle you to be creepy? Please explain why cheating means you're creepy. Millions of people in relationships cheat each day, I'm sure.

Pro also provides a Grandma video, but there is no proof that it is intentional. Santa may have accidently ran over her in the fog and blizzard of that day. People make accidents. That doesn't mean they're creepy.

Pro also says, "if someone is a reckless driver with a hit and run, that would be annoyingly unpleasant and someone to be avoided"

That person would not be avoided because they are unpleasant, but because they are dangerous. That reckless driver would not be creepy, but rather dangerous. They are completely different things...

Pro also said that my conclusion was a little premature. Was it?
I have already won this debate, essentially.

All Pro has done this entire debate was: "Santa does this, so he's creepy."

Pro does not provide any evidence, nor does he explain why this action entitles him Santa to be creepy.

On my part, I have provided and explained fully why these actions would mean that he is not creepy, and why some actions that he does proves that he is not a creepy guy.

Therefore, because Pro does not provide sufficient explanation, because Pro does not provide sufficient proof, and because I have, I have won this debate.

Vote Con.

BennyW

Pro

BennyW forfeited this round.
Hardcore.Pwnography

Con

Pro forfeits this round. Extend all my previous arguments and rebuttals.
Here's a run down of why I think I deserve to win.

1. Pro does not back up his statements. He does not explain why certain actions entitle Santa to be creepy.

2. His arguments and rebuttals are rarely more than 3 lines long, which shows that his depth of thinking and analysis is shallow and flawed. You cannot have a good argument or rebuttal in 3 lines.

3. He has forfeited his last round with me.

4. Last round, Pro did not contest my arguments.

Thank you all, and I hope you've all had and are having a good holiday season.

Vote Con.
Vote HardCore.Pwnography.
Posted by BennyW 5 years ago
BennyW
I have been gone for a while and this debate was my last real activity, I apologize for the forfeit and so deserve losing conduct for that I think that I could have won had it not been for that. I know how annoying forfeits are and so I hold myself to the same standard as others.
Posted by PeacefulChaos 5 years ago
PeacefulChaos
Pro loses conduct for forfeiting the last round.

Arguments goes to Con for successfully proving that many songs about Santa were metaphorical and were not meant to be literally taken. Furthermore, he showed how, "Mommy was kissing Santa", and not, "Santa was kissing Mommy". Lastly, he showed how Santa's so called "slaves" were not slaves at all and were more likely to be workers. Thus, Con wins arguments.

Good debate, guys.
Posted by Hardcore.Pwnography 5 years ago
Hardcore.Pwnography
@people who voted

what about arguments?
Posted by PeacefulChaos 5 years ago
PeacefulChaos
I lol'd at Pro's rebuttal to Con's first argument XD
Posted by kyro90 5 years ago
kyro90
Lol this debate will be soooo funny! xD
Vote Placed by PeacefulChaos 5 years ago
PeacefulChaos
BennyWHardcore.PwnographyTied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD in comments.
Vote Placed by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
BennyWHardcore.PwnographyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct goes to CON. Furthermore, he showed the mutliple perspectives and fully debunked PRO's arguments by showing that pro misinterpretted Santa
Vote Placed by Lordknukle 5 years ago
Lordknukle
BennyWHardcore.PwnographyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Counter vote-bomb Stilettostomper
Vote Placed by StilettoStomper 5 years ago
StilettoStomper
BennyWHardcore.PwnographyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro is brilliant.
Vote Placed by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
BennyWHardcore.PwnographyTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF = conduct to con. sources to pro. con proves to me that santa claus isn't creepy and has changed my opinon. He proved that the song is a metaphor and his elves aren't slaves.
Vote Placed by cameronl35 5 years ago
cameronl35
BennyWHardcore.PwnographyTied