PoeJoe
funnybrad333

Sarah Palin: See Opening Argument for Resolution

PoeJoe

PoeJoe

Pro

First, a disclaimer: I don't actually believe anything I say in this debate. It was just a fun idea I came up with as I was walking home from school today; I am in no way a conspiracy theorist. I hope this will be fun.

Also, because I have such a huge disadvantage (in choosing such a huge resolution/being the instigator in a two round debate), I request that my opponent not argue semantics--or anything equally absurd--and that s/he address the resolution in its entirety. Thank you.

---- Resolution (I Must Prove the Following) ----

McCain's VP pick, Sarah Palin, was chosen only to boost his poll numbers. Not only that, but the pick was a premeditated bad choice. McCain hoped that his bad choice would stir media attention, and that he would foster more support because of his choice. Indeed, the McCain campaign has purposefully done many stupid/bad things just to receive media attention.

---- Clarification / Argument ----

From the beginning, the McCain campaign has made several would-be fatal mistakes. "I'd stay in Iraq for 100 years!" and "Bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb Iran!" are both quotes that should destroy a chance at the presidency; however, these actions only sparked more attention, getting more people to listen to what he had to say. When McCain starting releasing ads that compared Obama to Paris Hilton and Britney Spears, he should have been laughed at for being a slanderous pig; however, his poll numbers only strengthened. Surely someone in his campaign must have objected to such slander! No, it must have been released on purpose to gather more attention!!!

Now, when McCain selected Sarah Palin as his VP running mate, his selection must have been calculated--I mean, who doesn't talk about all the possible talking points that Palin introduces? She has five kids; one of those kids is pregnant with a baby with down syndrome; she is a female; she is more clueless about foreign policy than Obama ("que es Bush Doctrine?"/"puedo ver Russia!"); she's from Alaska; and she is, quite simply, inferior to other more qualified selections such as Mitt Romney. Also, because of all the media attention McCain has received for selecting Palin as his VP running mate, his poll numbers have drastically improved.

I shall admit from the start: I have no statistical evidence, nor do I have any quotes to work off of. Indeed, all my arguments shall be derived from logic and common sense. Because my resolution does make perfect sense. Why else would McCain be so careless in his decision making?

I leave the floor open to my opponent. I wish him/her all the best of luck.
funnybrad333

Con

First off, I would like to state that I hate PoeJoe for reporting my recent arguements and pointing out obvious but permissable typing mistakes. He is also a complete D bag.

I agree that statistical evidence and quotes are boring, research is for people with time, so I will argue accordingly.

My one and only contentions is as follows:

1) Senator McCaine is old

Someone as old as him is incapable of sarcasm or humor. He would clearly disagree with your reasoning.

If you say that his advisors are not that old, I would like to remind you that they are not the ones that end up choosing and saying those types of silly things, and if McCaine disagreed with their notions, he would drop out of the race before acting against his own will (Old people are stubborn and do not show greed).

I await your rebuttal.
PoeJoe

Pro

---- Reminder / Thanks ----

I would like to remind my opponent that by the common rules of debate, he may not post any new arguments in a closing argument.

With that said, I would like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate. And I would also like to thank the audience for taking the time to read this debate. Thank you. I'm sure both my opponent and I appreciate it.

---- RE: Typo-ridden Ad hominems ----

"First off, I would like to state that I hate PoeJoe for reporting my recent arguements (sic)"

You posted an irrelevant South Park video from YouTube. What you did was not only illegal (distributing copyrighted material), but also had nothing to do with the debate at hand. And, if I remember correctly, you posted a one word response! I think I was right in reporting your argument.

"He is also a complete D bag."

Instead of getting angry, I'll just passively accept the conduct vote.

"I agree that statistical evidence and quotes are boring, (sic) research is for people with time, so I will argue accordingly."

No, I think that both statistical evidence and quotes are very important in a debate. It's just that for this debate, I was admitting that I had no such evidence. Research is very important, and fun too!

---- RE: Senator McCaine (sic) is old ----

My opponent has stated that because Senator McCain is old, he is incapable of sarcasm or humor. However, this is a strawman argument. In fact, I never claimed he was being humorous anywhere in my opening argument!

My argument was that he was being serious--purposefully saying things wrong in order to foster attention and support. My opponent has completely missed the resolution of this debate; and therefore I should win.

I urge a PRO vote.
funnybrad333

Con

Typo-ridden Ad hominems"

This supports my point that PoeJoe is a complete D bag.

Now on to my arguments.

"My argument was that he was being serious--purposefully saying things wrong in order to foster attention and support. My opponent has completely missed the resolution of this debate"

I say there is a connection between McCain and his campaign, and you disagree. This debate is on whether the choice of Sarah Palin, among other things, was done to increase poll numbers [in order to strengthen his campaign]. Am I wrong in adding that?

I stated that because Senator McCain is old, he is incapable of sarcasm and humor.

The idea of lying in order to increase poll numbers is ridiculous, and the idea to do something stupid which could misrepresent and possibly destroy your campaign is preposterous. McCain is too stern, austere, and stubborn to do something like that, because the many years the he has lived have shaped his life so that he does only what he believes and knows is right.

Because of this, Senator McCain would not do the actions he has currently done in his campaign for shock value, he did them because he knew they were accurate and intelligent decisions.
For this reason you should vote Con.
Posted by Mangani 9 years ago
Mangani
Maverick- an unbranded range animal, especially a motherless calf; it can also mean a person who shows independence of thought or action; a lone dissenter; a non-conformist or rebel.

McCain, throughout his career, has been purposefully erratic, non-conformist, and antagonistic. Cons arguments don't support his own candidates self-described maverick attitude. His choice of Palin was admittedly for "shock value"- though the "spin" uses other words and phrases... like "she's a maverick too". Well, these two motherless calves can keep braggin about being bastards...
Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 9 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
Of course, for those rumors to be true, Bristol would have had to become pregnant IMMEDIATELY after giving birth... maybe even a few days before...
Posted by PoeJoe 9 years ago
PoeJoe
"the boy with Down Syndrome is actually her pregnant daughter's first child.
My bad. *fixed*
Posted by brian_eggleston 9 years ago
brian_eggleston
"She has five kids including one with down syndrome; one of her kids is pregnant"

If you believe the rumours, Palin only has four kids - the boy with Down Syndrome is actually her pregnant daughter's first child.
Posted by PoeJoe 9 years ago
PoeJoe
@ AbhisekGhosh:
Bwah. You're from India.
Posted by AbhisekGhosh 9 years ago
AbhisekGhosh
This ain't actually a topic for debate at all. The Challenges basically has put up his/her view point and it is for the others to agree to it or otherwise. I guess the challenger does make some sense and the McCain campaign has been seriously having quite a number of absurd happenings. i just hope there is some body who takes the challenge before the debate expires.
Posted by LR4N6FTW4EVA 9 years ago
LR4N6FTW4EVA
Why is Palin speaking Spanish?
Vote Placed by Mangani 9 years ago
Mangani
PoeJoefunnybrad333Tied
Vote Placed by Paramountdesktop 9 years ago
Paramountdesktop
PoeJoefunnybrad333Tied
Vote Placed by bsufan101 9 years ago
bsufan101
PoeJoefunnybrad333Tied
Vote Placed by brittwaller 9 years ago
brittwaller
PoeJoefunnybrad333Tied
Vote Placed by PoeJoe 9 years ago
PoeJoe
PoeJoefunnybrad333Tied
Vote Placed by JBlake 9 years ago
JBlake
PoeJoefunnybrad333Tied