couchpotayto
rienafairefr

Say no to organ donation

couchpotayto

Con

If I'm in an accident or go to the hospital and on the verge of dying, I believe the doctors will look at my license and see that I'm an organ donor and not try to save my life but rather use my organs and save-they say up to 8 people-with my organs. What do you guys think?
rienafairefr

Pro

I accept the debate. Doctors have ethical boundaries, and the organ donation process is started only when there is brain death and everything is done to save you before that.
couchpotayto

Con

Ethics? That's subjective. Doctors are ethically supposed to do lots of things for us to survive. But they make a lot of mistakes. How do I know THAT particular team of doctors will make the right decision? Especially let's say in the ER.
Are you and organ donor? Or are you just debating?
rienafairefr

Pro

Ethics and mistakes are two different things.

Ethics is how you decide to do things based on principles and values. Mistakes are things that are not under your direct control and that you didn't intend.

The decision is not fully made by the doctors that will treat you anyway. There are guidelines that they have to follow, lest they will be stripped of their license and harshly (and rightly so) prosecuted.

Sure you don't know if THAT particular team of doctors will make the right decision, they might be corrupted to the core and a bunch of psychopaths. It's also the case that you don't know, anytime you go to the doctor for a cough or cold, if that doctor is not a psychopath that loves making his patients suffer and will prescribe rat poison. There are many things we don't know in life. It's not an excuse to not do anything. It's a moment to weigh the possibilities, and see the probabilities, and to see if you trust that profession or not.

Doctors have a good record of making the right decision in that kind of things, the guidelines are clear, they have to wait brain death before harvesting, and they will not stop to save you until you're dead. Go to a doctor and say to his face that he won't try to save you, he'll punch you. That's his greatest pride in life, trying and sometimes succeeding saving the life of its fellow humans. The doctors have absolutely no incentive to stop trying to save you.

I'd like to add that my personal position on the subject of organ donation (i.e. if I'm a donor or not) is not relevant to this discussion. You have every freaking right to say no to organ donation. I'd just like you to take the decision on good rational basis and not be swayed by bad arguments. The belief that doctors will not try to save you if you are donor is unfounded, that is all.
couchpotayto

Con

So if it's a myth that doctors won't save you. Why isn't everyone an organ donor? Something must be stopping them. I think only half of the population over the age of 18 is registered as an organ donor.I think most people, even intelligent people, still think that doctors won't do everything to save them.

I have another question. I read somewhere that Israel passed a law where you have to be an organ donor to get an organ if you are in need of one. If you're not an organ donor and you need one you can't get on the list to receive one.
Do you think we should pass a law in America like that?
rienafairefr

Pro

Sure, there are people who think that doctors will not try to save them if they are donors. They are wrong in the face of facts, that's all.

In my opinion, the vast majority of people who are not donor are not donors for personal reasons that have nothing to do with that belief, some want to be "whole" when entering the afterlife they believe in. Some want to have their body sacred as it was when they were alive. Some are not comfortable with a part of them being given like a bunch of meat to someone else. There are plenty of reasons, and they are all valid for them. As long as the reason is based on sound thinking, I have no problem with it.

I think overall the balance weighs in the direction of chosing an organ donor as a good one, because it's a prolongation of our pure altruistic behavior, which is giving to other, without wanting any reward for it, because instinstively we know we'd like to be the recipient of such altruistic behavior, and thus if everyone is altruistic in some way, everyone wins something. There is probably no compelling secular argument against organ donation and therefore it should be a choice that is easily made and benefits everyone including you, if you ever need an organ you'll be glad someone checked that checkbox

The Israeli law has no bearing on this debate, it's not relevant.
couchpotayto

Con

couchpotayto forfeited this round.
rienafairefr

Pro

I extend my arguments.
my opponent has misconceptions about the organ donation process that have been corrected. he is still free to say no to organ donation, but no need to resort to bad arguments for the reason why.
couchpotayto

Con

couchpotayto forfeited this round.
Posted by zezima 4 years ago
zezima
who need organs when you got Obamacare?
Posted by couchpotayto 4 years ago
couchpotayto
@missinformed and @jckass1070 Are you guys organ donors?
Posted by MissInformed 4 years ago
MissInformed
People who are alcoholics generally are low on the list or do not receive organs. Furthermore, because donors must have all organs still functioning (and only brain death) to donate, the doctors will try as hard as possible to "save" you.
Posted by Jckass1070 4 years ago
Jckass1070
Healthcare is always afforded to the rich. Why would I be an organ donor to save the life of an old rich drunk who has abused his liver? No thanks.