SitaraMusica
bossnegotiator

Saying that's the way it is without giving a reason is the circular reasoning fallacy.

bossnegotiator

SitaraMusica

Pro

Saying that's the way it is without giving a reason is the circular reasoning fallacy. If you are going to say that's the way it is, you have to give a logical reason why.
bossnegotiator

Con

That's the way it is as a statement is used in reference to a past event or when someone with a greater authority than you does not feel a reason is necessary. When in reference to a past event that can't be changed the statement is quite self explanatory and doesn't require a reason. When used by someone in authority it doesn't matter what their reason is because whatever they choose overrules you.
SitaraMusica

Pro

If you are going to say that's the way it is, you need to say why.
bossnegotiator

Con

all my opponent is doing is restating the motion. By just repeating his opinion and not backing it up at all he is not really debating now is he? I'd like the voters to notice this and also like my opponent to please have some arguments to back up his view in the next round
SitaraMusica

Pro

Yes or no: Can you tell me why it is the way it is?
bossnegotiator

Con

The word "that" is in reference to some past or self explanatory thing and the word "way" indicates that an effect that thing has. Thus if someone uses the phrase "that's the way it is" it is because it is self explanatory to the person they are saying it to. it also indicates something that can't be changed so that is also a reason for using this phrase
SitaraMusica

Pro

There is a reason for everything, and I have the right to know why. Cancer patients have the right to know why they are are being forced to suffer, for example. You can't just say that's the way it is without giving a logical reason why.
bossnegotiator

Con

With cancer patients for example the "that" is referring to their suffering. The statement is valid as it is self explanatory that they are suffering due to the effect the cancer has on their body. There is no real other reasoning required it is cause and effect which can be derived by the patients themselves so the statement "that's the way it is" is still valid.
Posted by dsjpk5 2 years ago
dsjpk5
I wouldn't say that. I would call that a warrantless claim.
Posted by Hierocles 2 years ago
Hierocles
Other statements that are not good debate topics...
1+1 = 2
all bachelors are single
Posted by Domr 2 years ago
Domr
I sense wocambs sarcasm heavily in his statement.

Its not really the best debate practice to essentially list the given(and widely accepted) definition of a word/phrase (or fallacy in this case) and expect someone to argue you on it.
Posted by Pfalcon1318 2 years ago
Pfalcon1318
I would be interested in debating this.
Posted by SitaraMusica 2 years ago
SitaraMusica
Posted by Wocambs 2 years ago
Wocambs
Interesting debate topic. I'm sure they'll be some stiff opposition on this controversial topic.
Vote Placed by Jzyehoshua 2 years ago
Jzyehoshua
SitaraMusicabossnegotiatorTied
Reasons for voting decision: I actually agree with Pro, not Con, and Con resorted to the Appeal to Authority fallacy in the 1st round. Had Pro pointed this out they would have won the debate handily. However, Pro simply resorted to restating their premise without adding anything new to the debate while Con actually attempted rebuttals. As a result this is a rare case where I disagree with the argument of Con, but must admit they won the debate.
Vote Placed by SuperRobotWars 2 years ago
SuperRobotWars
SitaraMusicabossnegotiatorTied
Reasons for voting decision: I would like to actually dish out points however neither debater has given enough argumentative detail to make me give points either way.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 2 years ago
RoyLatham
SitaraMusicabossnegotiatorTied
Reasons for voting decision: The reasonable interpretation of the resolution is "When 'that's the way it is' is used as a justification for continuing action, that justification is fallacious circular reasoning." Con didn't address whether or not there was a fallacy in the use as justification. Instead he claimed it didn't matter because authority would prevail. Perhaps authority does prevail, but that doesn't speak to the resolution. The resolution is about logical fallacies. Pro didn't do a very good job of explaining why he thought it was a fallacy of circular reasoning and not some other fallacy, but Pro's claim of it being a fallacy was never addressed by con, and the circular reasoning case was given, weakly, by pointing out that there is no reference to facts or logic outside of the assertion of 'that's the way it is.'
Vote Placed by RainbowDash52 2 years ago
RainbowDash52
SitaraMusicabossnegotiatorTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro failed to make an actual argument.