Meganrihanne1992x
Kleptin

Scariest films !

Meganrihanne1992x

Pro

Hmm most scariest films i have to admit im not that scared of "films made to be scary " anymore..but these are films watched when i was younger that i thought was horrifying LOL

The exorcist (without a doubt!)
The shining
Texas chainsaw masacre
The poltergiest.
Jacobs ladder
Carrie
Silence of the lambs
Creep
Godsend.
The omen.
Stigmata

ERmmm can think of much more... :/
I thought the omen was quite funny tbh but a little freaky ;)
anyone care to disagree these films are in the top 10?
Kleptin

Con

Thank you to my opponent for starting this debate.

My opponent, possibly a scary film buff, has stated the the movies he lists in his preliminary argument are in the "top ten".

However, unless I am mistaken, my opponent has listed not ten, but eleven movies.

Since it is not possible for eleven movies to be the top ten, I believe my opponent is incorrect in making that statement.

Meganrihanne1992x

Pro

aH i can see the misunderstanding

i meant some of these films SHOULD be put on the top 10
of scariest movies of all time.
Kleptin

Con

I apologize to my opponent, as her initial argument was completely different. While I can accept that she made a mistake in judging 11 films as the top 10, I will not accept her modification of the argument.

The burden of proof is on my opponent to prove that her list comprises the "scariest" films. As such, I need only offer one example of a "scarier" film.

I now bring my opponent's attention to Asian horror.

http://inventorspot.com...
http://blog.japundit.com...

There are quite a few Korean and Japanese horror movies that are far more frightening than at least half of the movies my opponent has listed. Koreans, known for the their drama shows, implement a lot more plot in their horror movies and there are frequently themes of prolonged torture, intense psychological grief, mixed along with the typical aspects of horror movies. The Japanese also rely far more on psychological fears rather than gore and what I call "startle" films.

Most American movies are "startle" films where the only horror part comes from scenes where things jump out. With most Asian horror, your gut wrenches in fear just from the atmosphere of the film. When the actual horror scenes come up, it is a slow, prolonged fear that is simply indescribable.

I highly recommend my opponent reconsider her list to include international horror films.

Meganrihanne1992x

Pro

My oponent has still misunderstood what i previously stated.

I clearly established to my oponent that these films were not specifically all the films i would put on top 10, he would of saw i put in my arguement" some of these films should be in the top 10" NOT all.

As ive stated 11 films,
My oponent then starts to talk about korean and japanese films, My arguement is purley based on more of an opinion than fact never the less i still believe the films i have stated are the best scariest movies, not only because of the directors but because of the feautures affects and so on.
Korean films are scary but they are not attracted to more by an english audience because to classify a film as "scary"
it would have to be based on the fact of disturbance, affects and so on.
Korean movies are more harder to understand they usually take time to interpret what the basic story line is
I think the directors of horror films like to keep the basic tense affect dragging on..but korean films do this more than others,
Dont get me wrong korean films are good but coming from a social society ( england, america ) so on we can relate and connect to a film more than korean ones, we can find it "scarier" because it simply is connected to spirituality, religion things as a society we are very determined to talk and debate about.

The Exorcist for example, was popular over different areas of the country such as brazil, netherland, slovakia,sweden, isreal.over 50 country,contenets all over the world it was also the most popular scary film to be well known and viewed by different places all over europe.
(including best director)

Although this dosent prove that a majority of audience find the exoricst the scariest film ever, it does show its popularity.
Korean films are more based on motive, themes and cultural elements.. i think korean films are better understood by people who can actually relate to a movie from a social norm
Whereas American/english horrors have multiple choices in terms of language.

In conclusion, i would like to support my main arguement in conjunction why i think these films are the best horror films is because they are unique, and have more of a unique disturbance to the film , the films i picked are all based on different storylines aswell as genres and synopsis.
To classify a film as "scary" in needs to appeal differently and not be a typical film, i think these films have achieved this and thats why they are so mainly popular today.
Kleptin

Con

I thank my opponent for her response and will administer my final round of rebuttals.

"I clearly established to my oponent that these films were not specifically all the films i would put on top 10, he would of saw i put in my arguement" some of these films should be in the top 10" NOT all."

Incorrect. This "establishment" was made in my opponent's counter-response and not in her preliminary (which is her thesis point). My opponent's initial proof was (and I quote)

"anyone care to disagree these films are in the top 10?" Referring to the eleven films she had listed. As such, it rests on my opponent to prove that all eleven of these films make up the top ten scary films of all time.

This is impossible, as eleven films cannot be ten films. My opponent has not yet given an argument as to how eleven films can be in the top ten.

Setting that point aside, my opponent then CONCEDES in her response that some of the movies she listed may not be in the top ten at all. Since this is the case, my opponent has effectively conceded the debate. It is merely too big of a leap to say "These movies are the top ten" and then say "Okay, SOME of these movies are in the top ten".

To add to my argument, I also bring up the example of foreign films such as Korean and Japanese horror films. My opponent's main arguments against these are language barriers, relevance, and popularity. I find that all three of these points can be effectively ignored because they don't have much to do with how *scary* a particular film is. Audiences, over a period of time, get more and more tolerant of what is scary. I would say that half of my opponent's list is made of movies which today, would not be considered scary.

Movies like "The Ring", "The Grudge", and "One missed call" were hits in America, even though the scariness was diluted massively from the original Japanese. Watching "Ring", "Ju-on", or "Chakushin ari" respectively would probably make the most veteran horror film fanatics question their list of favorites. The very fact that they have been imported to America shows that they are fantastic films, and quite a bit more scary than the older ones my opponent has provided.

Thus, I conclude that I have met my burden of proof. My opponent sought to prove that all eleven of her films should be on the top ten, and ended up conceding that only a few of them belong there. On top of that, I have also given my evaluation.

Thank you to my opponent, and I urge the audience to vote CON.
Posted by MewxVenus 7 years ago
MewxVenus
john: See, here's the thing: the art in Japanese horror cartoons makes it difficult to be frightened. However, watching an RL horror film from Asia, now that's scary.

Although yes, I'm sure that is probably much more terrifying in context. I know. I've watched it haha
Posted by Puck 7 years ago
Puck
I've yet to see a decent remake of an asian horror film. Big fan of Korean cinema too, so I would have to agree with Kleptin there.

As an aside I would rate Dark Water as one of the worst remakes. Though from what I've heard, The Uninvited may surpass that (remake of A Tale of Two Sisters).
Posted by Meganrihanne1992x 7 years ago
Meganrihanne1992x
Con had the last wrap in that round.

Con previously stated and re-instated quotes that he misunderstood..I clearly stated that these films are in the top ten.. I can understand how that can be percepted. I basically meant that these films should be reviewed as some of the top 10.
I have been able to understand my opponents views..Yet he brought up korean movies such as the ring -JU-on which were never in my top 10 and irrelevant because i wasnt talking about remakes, none of my films were re-makes.
Also my opponent has misled some of the basic facts why i think these movies are in the top 10, scary films are motivated by effects and i think all these films have better effects than korean movies
As for my grammar, i am dyslexic but i think everyone should have a fair and equal stance on debates, I also think this debate is purely based more on opinion than fact,prior to cite sources.
and also*con* i would appreciateit if you wouldnt adress me by *him* if your going to debate me atleast acknowledge my sex.
vote pro!
Posted by s0m31john 7 years ago
s0m31john
FYI Higurashi is scarier when you watch it in context. Even though it was low budget, you can tell by the artwork, it had me on the edge of my sea the entire time.
Posted by s0m31john 7 years ago
s0m31john
Posted by Kleptin 7 years ago
Kleptin
C: Both conducted themselves well, but CON was more polite in addressing his opponent and the audience, and making his arguments clear to readers. Points to Con.

S&G: Many spelling and grammatical errors on the part of PRO, and relatively few if any on the part of CON. Points go to CON.

A: PRO did not make an argument until her final round and was unclear about her position. She effectively conceded her first round assertion in her second round. CON responded properly and made counterpoints, wrapping the debate up well. Points go to CON.

S: CON was the only one to cite sources. PRO cited no sources. Points go to CON.
Posted by Meganrihanne1992x 7 years ago
Meganrihanne1992x
Ha the exorcist has one over 6 awards, including best director, it was named scariest horror movie ever made, so its a majority LOVE
Posted by Epicism 7 years ago
Epicism
@Deadleaves

Holy crap Korean and Vietnamese movies are the best scary movies ever! They make American scary movies look so lame..
Posted by Danielle 7 years ago
Danielle
The Exorcist is NOT the scariest movie of all time. It's one of my favorites because it's absolutely HILARIOUS! I've thought so since I was a young child. Haha.
Posted by theitalianstallion 7 years ago
theitalianstallion
Americans have to 'dumb' things down; nobody likes thinking any more.

The same concept is aplied at fast-food restaurants. Do we really need a cup to tell us that the coffee is hot? I mean, com'n people.
Vote Placed by Justinisthecrazy 7 years ago
Justinisthecrazy
Meganrihanne1992xKleptinTied
Vote Placed by MewxVenus 7 years ago
MewxVenus
Meganrihanne1992xKleptinTied
Vote Placed by baconator 7 years ago
baconator
Meganrihanne1992xKleptinTied
Vote Placed by karththegeld 7 years ago
karththegeld
Meganrihanne1992xKleptinTied
Vote Placed by s0m31john 7 years ago
s0m31john
Meganrihanne1992xKleptinTied
Vote Placed by Kleptin 7 years ago
Kleptin
Meganrihanne1992xKleptinTied