The_Serb
Social-twitterfly

Scenes in Hollywood War Movies showing Arab men being tortured by US soldiers

Social-twitterfly
Started: 2/15/2014 Category: Movies

The_Serb

Con

Movies showing US soldiers committing abusive interrogation on Arab prisoners are a bad idea.
It stirs up the blood, and makes young Arab men more inclined to actually torture US soldiers in a war scenario, as a revenge.

So Hollywood is putting US servicemen at increased risk of themselves being tortured during a war in The Middle East.

Do you agree or agree to oppose this view?
Social-twitterfly

Pro

Thank you for picking such a great topic!
First I will be starting my first speech with the first Amendment. The First Amendment would be infringed upon if we ban the scenes in movies featuring victims being tortured by Americans. This ban will infringe upon the First Amendment in two ways, the first way is stopping movies/television shows from showing these torture scenes, and second, banning such scenes is infringing on freedom of the press. If it is a movie or not, movies are still information. The only way my opponent can win this round is he proves that in this instance the First Amendment should be ignored. For me to win this round is if I prove we need to keep the First Amendment, no matter what the situation or consequences are. The only way for my opponent to attack my First Amendment argument is if he or she proves that freedom of speech and freedom of press are no longer needed.
The_Serb

Con

we need not ban torture scenes in movies

just ask that Hollywood not show scenes were US servicemen are having fun, undressing and beating and then giving a young Arab kid electric shocks with a taser to his balls.

that is not against the constitution. we simple ask that they refrain?
Social-twitterfly

Pro

In response to my opponents last speech, could we refrain? yes. Should we be forced to refrain? no. Without these horrible scenes, many Americans/others living in the western world, this is the only opportunity for us to see what is going on in the world. As I will go back to the resolved, scenes in Hollywood war movies showing Arab men being tortured by US soldiers. We can see that nowhere it says this is a moral argument. This is an argument about the rights of movie makers. Movie makers have the right to make movies however they want. If we band movies because of a negative effect, action movies couldn't be made because arguably they make people violent, love stories couldn't be created because they show too many sexual references to young audiences, horror movies would be banned because they scare people. Banning scenes of violence in war movies is not only an illogical idea, it is also an unconstitutional idea.
The_Serb

Con

The_Serb forfeited this round.
Social-twitterfly

Pro

Seeing as my opponent forfeited his round, my arguments still stand.
The_Serb

Con

Do you think this youtube video of Syrian Rebels torturing a prisoner helps their cause`?
Social-twitterfly

Pro

Social-twitterfly forfeited this round.
Posted by The_Serb 3 years ago
The_Serb
Stalin:Mario> Yes!

sorry that I was away and did not notice that my challenge had been picked up
Posted by Samiam 3 years ago
Samiam
@Jifpop, maybe it's his cup of tea?
Posted by Stalin_Mario 3 years ago
Stalin_Mario
Are you debating for that fact that the government should ban movies/any entertainment from showing US soldiers torturing Arabic soldiers?
Posted by Jifpop09 3 years ago
Jifpop09
How come all your comments and debates are always about torture?
Vote Placed by donald.keller 3 years ago
donald.keller
The_SerbSocial-twitterflyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct: FF. Arguments: Pro's went unchallenged.
Vote Placed by danielawesome12 3 years ago
danielawesome12
The_SerbSocial-twitterflyTied
Reasons for voting decision: I was dissapointed in Con's short arguments and how he missed many arguments.