545jthegeec
Conspiracy_Theory

School Days Should be shorter, not longer

Conspiracy_Theory

545jthegeec

Pro

The first round will bve an agreement round. ANY Subject is debateable. Agree/Disagree? Anything to add?
Conspiracy_Theory

Con

I accept the debate. If changed, school hours should be longer rather than shorter.
545jthegeec

Pro

Thank you for agreeing.

MY first statement is that children will do better in school. If there were less school, children would have more time to study and to do homework. Staying up late is too annoying to finish their homework, and not finishing homework will result in a failing grade. This would also help with anger outbursts, because they would have more time to spend with their friends and could hang out. Also, it would help their social life, especially those who are socially challenged. Also, there would be less fights in school due to extended sleep hours. Also, there would be more of a disipline time for children who are disobediant or disrespectful (ECT.) There could be longer time in school for those children who need it, or for those who display the characteristics above. It is amazing that punishment and extra school time as one actually works! I think that schools should shorten their hours and minutes for the reasons stated above and for many other reasons. It is amazing how school punishments can work!

It can also help at home! less time at school means more time at home! more time for bonding time and chats with your children. Especially small children, as their brains are growing, and in doing so they have to learn to respect their parents BEFORE they get to be a teen, as generally teens hate and disregard their parents, twisting their words so they can use their words against them. A bunch of people think their kids are trustworthy, however, it seems to be quite the opposite so often, and their parents don't find out til it's too late.

These are the reasons that school hours should be shortened. I look forward to your rebuttal and your first statement.
Conspiracy_Theory

Con

Thank you, 545jthegeec, for your addition to the debate. Good luck.

*******

Class work --> Homework --> Late Nights

My opponent seems to claim that late nights is a result of an overload of HW/CW (Homework/Class work). However, most schools these days have periods such as Study Hall, or other periods of time during the day where students are allowed to start on their work to reduce the amount of time needed to complete HW at home. Unfortunately, some students may not have this type of class. The resolution can be simple. Down time in class and during lunch time students can get a head start on work that they have assigned for the day. While at lunch they still can eat their food, they would just have to multi-task. Personally, I spend my down time in school to get started on any work I have or may have due the day after.

Anger Outbursts? Social Life?

Anger Outbursts

I fail to see (even with your explanations) how shorter school days would resolve anger outbursts and social challenges with students. I'll take it one topic at a time:

Anger Outbursts: "because they would have more time to spend with their friends and could hang out." Hanging out with friends would hardly resolve anger outbursts. If anything, school would regulate it. For example, you don't see students every day going on rampages in school, flipping tables over and yelling at peers/teachers. For example: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ . School is a place with adult authorities (teachers, campus police officers, etc) that would prevent this type of activity. Based on your argument, if school hours were shorter, there would be more time after the day has ended for these types of outbursts.

Social Life

Every day 1000+ students and faculty get together in one building for the sake of education. This is "social life gold". However, class time is not for socializing. Times for this come throughout the day. For example: Time between periods, lunch, before school starts (in the commons), after school starts (in the commons), etc. The social life a student, however, should not be a factor in changing the hours of a school day.

Sleep

Sleep does prove a problem to most students especially in High School, but I don;t see how it relates to violence on campus. However, sleep deprivation shouldn't be a problem (excluding health issues). I'm going to keep this topic as short and sweet as I can because I get this all the time. Q&A:

Question: What happens if you get overloaded with homework and have to stay up super late to get it done?
Answer: Start your homework earlier.

Question: What happens if you have sports after school and get home late with a ton of homework?
Answer: Let your coach know and ask to skip practice for the day or leave early to start your homework at home.. All coaches will tell you school comes before sports.

Question: What if I have some sort of company coming over, or I am going out to visit family friends?
Answer: Start your homework earlier.

Question: What if I have to go into school super early tomorrow?
Answer: Go to bed earlier, with your homework done.

All these scenarios are questions I've come across in my life. There is no excuse for being tired to the point where violence occurs, or to the point where you sleep in class (which is very common).

Discipline

Whoa, slow down.

I quote: "Also, there would be more of a discipline time for children who are disobedient or disrespectful (ECT.)"
I quote: "I think that schools should shorten their hours and minutes for the reasons stated above and for many other reasons."

How would there be more time for students to be disciplined in school if hours were shortened? Shorter school hours = less time for in-school activities (lack of a better word).

Time at home

I quote: "as generally teens hate and disregard their parents, twisting their words so they can use their words against them."

The burden of proof for that statement is on you my friend. I would love to see some sort of opinion poll on that. As a moral obligation (I'm not saying all parents), parents raise their child accordingly so they do learn to respect not only their parents, but everyone as well.

I quote again: "A bunch of people think their kids are trustworthy, however, it seems to be quite the opposite so often, and their parents don't find out til it's too late."

I don't know where you are getting this from. Possibly personal experience? Or what you see in school?

Explain further in the next round and I will respond accordingly.

*******

Good luck, vote pro.

545jthegeec

Pro

Response to Study hall: A lot of children have no study hall and are taking challenging courses, so all their down time in that class goes to those classes, and then they have extra HW to do after school.
Response to Lunch: Most children use this as a social time. This is where most people hang out with friends. That is what it's meant for. Also, it's main purpose is to feed them, but again, time for friends.
Response to Multi-Tasking: Multi-tasking is hard to do when you are eating lunch. Especially doing Calculus or Engineering drawings.
Response to Anger Outbursts: Indeed there is a lot of rampages, flipping over tables, cussing at teachers, ECT. Most teachers try to calm these down, but it often doesn't work. Most punishments do not work against angry children.
Response to Outbursts after school: Police and municipal punishments would work better than anything a school system can do.
Response to Social life: Earlier you said, and I quote: "The resolution can be simple. Down time in class and during lunch time students can get a head start on work that they have assigned for the day. While at lunch they still can eat their food, they would just have to multi-task." Then, you said, and again, I quote, " However, class time is not for socializing. Times for this come throughout the day. For example: Time between periods, lunch, before school starts (in the commons), after school starts (in the commons), etc." How can you do homework, socialize, AND eat at the same time? Your homework would be messed up, you would be distracted from your friends and would keep asking for repeats of jokes, questions, statements ECT, and you would not eat your fill as much as you would want!
Response to Sleep: When you do not get enough sleep, are you angry? Yes, you get irratable very quickly. Now, what if you get made fun of or do not get want you so "Desperetly" need? What if someone makes fun of you and tries to beat you up? Normally you would laugh with your friends if their playing with you by making fun of you, right? Yes, but if you don't get enough sleep, are you in a joking mood? No. If someone is going to try to beat you up, and you got no sleep the night before, what are you gonna do? Your gonna fight back aren't you? Yes, you are.
Response to Disipline: Most disipline from schools are staying after school, ISS, OSS, ECT. This subject also refers to Anger.
Response to Time at home: Yes, but as we all know that teenagers tend to get annoyed of their parents. Parents try to, but when the children become teenagers, that will all change. They will want more freedom and money and everything else that a real adult has. And when they don't get that, thats where anger comes into the situation at home. This is coming from what i have seen at my school over here in Indiana. Welcome to the real world!

Looking forward to your rebuttal and closing arguements!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VOTE NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Conspiracy_Theory

Con

Conspiracy_Theory forfeited this round.
Posted by Conspiracy_Theory 2 years ago
Conspiracy_Theory
Argh. A apologize for missing the round...I had it all typed up in word then the weekend came....:P
Posted by 545jthegeec 2 years ago
545jthegeec
i meant vote yes................................................
Posted by 545jthegeec 2 years ago
545jthegeec
Posted by Conspiracy_Theory 2 years ago
Conspiracy_Theory
Wow...that didn't work as I planned...
Posted by Conspiracy_Theory 2 years ago
Conspiracy_Theory
I also apologize for the a student that flipped the table over. I'll ask him to put it back the way it was:
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ) There we go. Good boy.
Posted by Conspiracy_Theory 2 years ago
Conspiracy_Theory
Haha in the second round I accidentally said "Vote pro". I meant to say VOTE CON. Sorry!
Posted by 545jthegeec 2 years ago
545jthegeec
thank you for agreeing with me.
Posted by Mr.VicePresident 2 years ago
Mr.VicePresident
i agree with 545thegeec
Posted by 545jthegeec 2 years ago
545jthegeec
for us in indiana, it lasts 8 hours
Posted by caveat 2 years ago
caveat
When does a school day start and end exactly?
Vote Placed by imabench 2 years ago
imabench
545jthegeecConspiracy_TheoryTied
Reasons for voting decision: con had better arguments but calling for people to vote for him the forfeited last round cost him conduct
Vote Placed by 16kadams 2 years ago
16kadams
545jthegeecConspiracy_TheoryTied
Reasons for voting decision: pro never refuted properly, so cons arguments still stand, for the most part. but pros arguments are still strong also so I will gove them = points