emmaw1482
funnycn

School Dress Codes are sexist and Add to Rape Culture

funnycn

emmaw1482

Pro

My group and I believe that School Dress Codes are targeting the female population and are unfair.
School"s are beginning to focus on how the students dress rather than their education. For example, pulling a female out of class until she can change and taking her away from the education. Many cases have been reported of females being pulled out of class for minor infractions like straps being visible, or more than 3 inches of the thigh showing. Instead of letting the student know they're breaking dress code and let them off with a warning or letting them wait in class, they are pulled out to wait for a change of clothes.
I understand there must be a general set of guidelines to avoid making peers feel uncomfortable, but dictating someone's clothing style is disrupting freedom of expression.
The reason for a school dress code is to keep males focused on their education. Since when is a males education superior to a females? Pulling a female out of class while the male stays to continue learning without "distraction" is sexist.
Men aren't pigs, they can control themselves. Making a dress code so boys stay on task is stereotyping males as pigs.
An example - At a Haven Middle School, female students can"t wear shorts, leggings, and/or yoga pants because they might be distracting for boys at their school. This is a common occurrence across America at this day and time, Middle Schools AND High Schools. This not only teaches boys that it is okay to be distracted, it teachers girls that it's their fault if boys stare. This kind of message lands itself squarely on a continuum that blames girls and women for assault by men. It also sends the message to boys that their behaviors are excusable, or understandable given what the girls are wearing. This adds to Rape Culture.
Rape Culture is when a citizens is raped and assaulted, it is their fault. It is their fault because of the way they looked, acted, or dressed before the crime was committed. It is saying "boys will be boys", and females will have to adjust themselves to a males perspective.
Instead of girls dressing for themselves and feeling good about themselves, they are dressing based off teachers and the male students of the school.
School Dress Codes need to stop making young girls feel inferior and feel like targets. A general set of rules is always okay, but when it is so strict it impacts a female, the administration has gone too far.
funnycn

Con

I accept this challenge. I'll post my argument in round 2.
emmaw1482

Pro

emmaw1482 forfeited this round.
funnycn

Con

Forfeiture?
emmaw1482

Pro

emmaw1482 forfeited this round.
Posted by LogicalLunatic 2 years ago
LogicalLunatic
Why do girls wear immodest clothes? Is it simply to feel good about themselves or is it also part of a bid to attract male attention?
If the second is the case, why are dudes expected to show restraint but girls are not? That's what is truly sexist. If dudes aren't allowed to sit around and dwell on how hot a certain girl looks during school time, then at the very least girls should be expected to not dress provocatively to draw male attention. At the very least.
If you ask any less than this, then feminism is giving females an unfair advantage in life.
Posted by Natsu_Dragneel 3 years ago
Natsu_Dragneel
reread my original post. Is it honestly directed at you?
The only real one that's directed at you is
"Go join a sport/ join a club/#getajob/#stopplayingminecraft/#gotoselfconfidenceseminars/ #stopaccusingtheschooldresscodeofbeingunfair"
Which is just so stupid that I find it hard to take offense.
Oh and "stop dressing like a porn star could be taken personal, but it was meant "if girls stop dressing like porn stars" TOTALLY my fault, like omg my bad.

Oh and, before you go into "not every girl dresses like a porn star. I'm going to give you one big DUHHHH. I'm not inserting the word "some" because it is obvious that only certain individuals dress that way.
Have a nice day :)
Posted by Natsu_Dragneel 3 years ago
Natsu_Dragneel
(continuing) Even get rape culture? ... that's what that was referring to.
.
gifted...Ha. Obviously doesn't get looks are subjective. In my opinion Katy Perry is ugly. Meanwhile, other guys would love to go out with her/other stuff. (won't happen, but they still think about it)
.
Tore up Jeans. Cool, I have some 2. but the difference is, I made mine by working. Not spending 10 more dollars on them. (yeah yeah, I get that torn jeans costing more is just a stereotype.)
.
Stereotyping girls as sex symbols? Maybe you should stop stereotyping guys as stereotyping girls. because I said "like a porn star" did I ever mention that its ONLY girls? There are guy porn stars. In addition, I know that you girls get all tingly looking at an "attractive" male.
.
Maybe you don't get this, but school is the law. So is any stupid rule they feel like enforcing that the government lets them.
.
Am I trying to debate you? I thought comments was for opinions? Why do I have to use rhetoric devices for this? not worth it if you ask me.
.
"I am saying they want to feel comfortable in their own skin by showing a few inches of the thigh."
funny, one would think that covering up makes you more comfortable. Maybe you meant to replace "comfortable with "outgoing? oh and if your talking about...errr, temperature. Then maybe you should go "I am saying they want to feel more comfortable by wearing cooler clothing.
.
me mentioning sex is the fact that rape culture is just a thought. The real cause of rape is a screwed up person, and an unlucky victim. P.S. I'm going to state the obvious. guys get raped as well.
.
Can I get a sorry for your assumptions? I honestly do not know where you got some of that.
.
Also, can I get a paragraph of your definition of love? I'm curious as to what level you are at in relevance to understanding this mythical feeling.
.
Lastly, just saying it again. Don't appreciate your highly inaccurate and undeserved shots you took at my personal life/me.
Posted by Natsu_Dragneel 3 years ago
Natsu_Dragneel
@kaitlynnne see you in 10 years, bring your currently boyfriend with a ring on his finger ;3
and no, I wouldn't tell you that because I could care less. Relationships are wonderful things even if they don't work out. It's a learning experience if it fails. If it doesn't you were lucky and you found the one person you will be happy with forever. (Didn't get dumped, did the dumping, still love her though)
.
I may have missed it, but I do not think I used the word "slut". Who cares anyway, its just a highly degrading word used incorrectly to described a female most of the time anyway. It has no effect on you unless you give it one.
.
OH COME ON! The weapon/chastity belt was a joke. Seriously, this is like the 5th 14-16 yr old I've met in a week who couldn't take a joke. WHICH WAS OBVIOUS!
.
lul, I'm the one getting up. Maybe you haven't learned it yet gurl, but nothing gets me up but the person I love. Girls can be cute, hot, ect. Don't care.
.
control myself? Never. That is not how I roll. Sorry our personality differ ;3
.
being dressed as a mummy is quite fun. Sadly, the toilet paper gets soaked in sweat because its so dang hot.
.
did I mention I was sleep deprived?
.
if no one noticed, I am going in random order. Look for the ones that are addressed to you.
.
get a life? I'm quite sure you have a life. Your kind of breathing...and doing ...stuff...like....errr..yeh..
If your referring to "Go join a sport/ join a club/#getajob/#stopplayingminecraft/#gotoselfconfidenceseminars/ #stopaccusingtheschooldresscodeofbeingunfair"
Just because you have a life doesn't mean your doing everything you could be.
.
antagonizing? awkward. you can state your opinion, yet I can't state mine which just happens to be against yours? Plz...no more senpai.
.
Alas, tis a small amount of time. After you get out of high school 1/3 to 1/4 of your life is gone.
That is less than half. Therefore, I dub it small.
.
"Who needs clothing to feel less inferior?"Do you
Posted by kaitlynnnne 3 years ago
kaitlynnnne
@Natsu_Dragneel
Posted by kaitlynnnne 3 years ago
kaitlynnnne
I don't really understand why you are telling two 16 year old girls to go get a life and to go to confidence seminars. Personally, I love who I am and I love being able to wear clothes that flatter me. Do you ever think that some people don't like what they wear and they're insecure about themselves? You said "Also, wearing clothing that conceals more allows you to carry more concealed weapons to combat rapist. I doubt you could hide a knife/gun in spaghetti straps." Actually, we aren't even allowed to have weapons on school property. So I think that we would get into more trouble with a knife than by wearing spaghetti straps. Honestly, I don't think that wearing holes with tears above the knees are that bad. I understand that it may not be suitable for job attire, but if you go into a store to buy jeans, most of them have rips and tears above them. I don't understand what's so bad about wearing a tank top to school because it may be "distracting" to some of my male peers. Yes I am gifted. I inherited some traits from my mom, but I have a boyfriend and any guy that looks at me I tell them to back off. I don't try to "strut my stuff" because I'm happy with what I look like and I don't need some guys attention just to make me feel whole.
You also said "ALSO ALSO, look into investing into a chastity belt. (Preferably made of Steel.)"
I don't really know how you can go and say that we need a chastity belt when you're probably the one that is getting it up by looking at some girl in school. I don't really find the need that you need to tell me what I can and cannot wear because you're the same age I am. Just because you're a male doesn't mean you can call females sluts and say that all they want is attention. I'm not a slut, I never have and I never will be. I'm happy with the relationship that I am in and if I need attention, I'll get it. And before you tell me that we aren't going to last, maybe that's what happened to you. You got dumped and you're still mad about i
Posted by WalterLowe 3 years ago
WalterLowe
Its crazy you call 7 hrs a day, 5 days a week a "small duration" of time (also clubs and sports events). We spend more time at school than we do at home (not including when we are sleeping). And while we are at school we are expected to preform and excel while doing it, how can we do this dressed like a mummy?
Also to clarify our County's dress code is: No holes above the knee, No spaghetti straps, no hats, and skirts has to come down below your finger tips. The correlation between all those rules is the emphasis on the ways girls dress instead of guys. Guys don't wear spaghetti straps, skirts, etc... So this is what we mean when we said "showing more skin", not literally coming to school in a bikini.
Posted by emmaw1482 3 years ago
emmaw1482
Natsu_Dragneel: I'm going to ignore your ignorant accusation of the "fact" that I have sex. Instead of simply antagonizing me and my opinion, why don't you research some rhetoric devices and actually learn how to debate me. I am not saying women want to dress as "porn stars", I am saying they want to feel comfortable in their own skin by showing a few inches of the thigh. A GENERAL SET OF RULES is always okay, when schools take the dress code and treat it like a law, that is when it becomes out of hand. You're irrelevant and are just another reason I believe the way I do, stop stereotyping females as Sex Symbols because they show a little skin. Control yourself.
Posted by Natsu_Dragneel 3 years ago
Natsu_Dragneel
and yes yes, I get "Rape Culture"
Who needs clothing to feel less inferior?
Go join a sport/ join a club/#getajob/#stopplayingminecraft/#gotoselfconfidenceseminars/ #stopaccusingtheschooldresscodeofbeingunfair
Also, wearing clothing that conceals more allows you to carry more concealed weapons to combat rapist. I doubt you could hide a knife/gun in spaghetti straps.(if you can PLEASE TELL)
ALSO ALSO, look into investing into a chastity belt. (Preferably made of Steel.)
Posted by Natsu_Dragneel 3 years ago
Natsu_Dragneel
@a_mysterious_stranger: nice one! made me laugh ;3
.
@emmaw1482: This is similar to the O' so common argument that "school is stupid because it waste time and you don't remember anything." The point is, it is not going to change. It has reasons no matter how small as to why you can't wear what you want. Just put up with it for the small duration you have to. In addition, you have to wear work appropriate clothing for many jobs. Good practice I say.
.
2. Sex...sexual behavior... sexual thoughts...ect, is sadly quite natural for teenagers. http://www.everydayhealth.com...
but rape...that's a disturbing act committed by disturbed people. That will never change along with murder, fraud, and ...taxes... However, sexual thoughts and rape tie together. http://www.christopherjferguson.com...
Stop dressing like a pornstar and maybe you won't "trigger" a rapist.
I'm 16 as well. call me? (pffffft, please don't)
.
@walterANDcheyenne: hurry up and hook up, you two are perfect for eachother.
.
For the record, I was sleep deprived when I wrote this.
Vote Placed by a_mysterious_stranger 2 years ago
a_mysterious_stranger
emmaw1482funnycnTied
Vote Placed by Hanspete 2 years ago
Hanspete
emmaw1482funnycnTied
Reasons for voting decision: No arguments posted no real reason how school dress code encourages rape! How does wearing the same thing encourage rape? How is it any more suppressive to women then men?
Vote Placed by ESocialBookworm 2 years ago
ESocialBookworm
emmaw1482funnycnTied
Vote Placed by lannan13 3 years ago
lannan13
emmaw1482funnycnTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture, but Pro actually made an argument so he get's those points.
Vote Placed by Ajabi 3 years ago
Ajabi
emmaw1482funnycnTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.