KendraTaylor
SummerLover19

School Finals: Students who passed the class shouldn't have to worry about taking a final.

SummerLover19

KendraTaylor

Pro

Okay, I am in highschool and am finishing up this my junior year by the 26th. I am passing all but (possibly) one or two of my classes. I don't think I should have to take a final for the Classes i am passing... What do you think?
SummerLover19

Con

I'm a high school graduate and I accept your challenge. Please state your claim.
KendraTaylor

Pro

SummerLover19

Con

I think students (including you) still in high school and passing should take finals because they, just like you said, are only passing your classes (A's,B's,C's, and D's) and not acing them (A's, A's, and more A's). High schoolers who are acing their classes work a little bit harder and understand more than other students who are passing. Take myself for example. I've been to 3 different high schools; in the first I was ranked number 3 in over 300 other kids in my school; in the second I was in the top 10; and in the third I was ranked number 6 in over 500 other students and graduated with a 4.6 GPA. In most of my schools I didn't have to take finals because of my acing. In other words, students who are passing should take finals due to there being students who only pass classes because they don't care about getting into a great college, have problems and need extra help, or want to avoid repeating a grade. I'm not accusing you of any of these things, I'm just listing the reasons why students who are passing their classes should take finals and students who are acing them shouldn't.
KendraTaylor

Pro

I can understand where you are coming from, but i know that most people can be on an A/B honor roll and there can even be a solid C honor roll (depending on the school). I have a majority of A's a few B's one C- and a D. the D was because i had missed a test and i had just finished it yesterday. I haven't checked the grades yet. But those are the only two grades that i would need to bring up. I think that taking the final in those classes would help me a lot because of how we are prepared for it all. But i also thing that because they are all (basically) in the same week, it stresses a lot of people out a lot more than it should, I believe that we should take the last 7 weeks of school and have that time to prepare for each final we need to take. one week could be for all math classes the next for all science classes etc.. But those (like myself) get stressed out way too easily when a ton of things are thrown at you all at once. I already have started workin on two of seven of my finals (speech and spanish) They aren't difficult to do or to work on, but we have to do them on our chrome books, and they will be taking them up next tuesday.. that doesn't give up much time to really work on them if they are huge projects. and I'm passing those classes with (for me) good grades. That's why i don't see why we need to take them. we could be more focused on the classes we need to work on more instead of the other classes that we are passing already.
SummerLover19

Con

Final tests are all about what you learned, what you know, and whether or not you need to repeat the class or a grade if you fail. It honestly does more helping more than you recognize; you just admitted that taking a final in passing classes would help you and not bring you down:

"I haven't checked the grades yet. But those are the only two grades that i would need to bring up. I think that taking the final in those classes would help me a lot because of how we are prepared for it all"-pro

It caught my eye by how you said "we are prepared for it all". Just from telling me that you have a majority of A's I can tell that you are a very intelligent (and stressed out) girl. If a student is able to have A/B honors they have the capability to do finals. Besides, finals are mostly questions that teachers already gave you during regular tests and quizzes. If a student does a self-study and look over all their previous test - if they saved it - they will ace the finals and classes in flying colors. I completely agree with you on how schools should break down weeks to review what they learned (most schools do), but unfortunately not all schools do that (including yours seemingly), that is why students need to ask their teachers if they can tutor them during after school hours, unless they already have after school tutoring. Finals are truly beneficiary to students, acing, failing and passing.
KendraTaylor

Pro

i can see where you are coming from. and i do agree. but i mean. if a student is passing the class, they then shouldn't have to worry about taking a final becuase they obviously worked their butt off and obviously was there everyday to know what they do know. im just saying that if youre passing the class you shouldn't have to take one. if you are not passing then you should take one.
SummerLover19

Con

"I'm just saying that if youre passing the class you shouldn't have to take one if you are not passing then you should take one." - pro

So you're saying that students who are "passing" shouldn't take a test...okay, so I guess that means students who are barely passing deserve to not take a final as well.

Passing doesn't specifically mean earning A's and B's by US standards. In the US, the general standard of a passing grade is that anything below a 60 or 75 is failing, depending on the grading scale [ http://en.m.wikipedia.org...]. Let's say there's a student in your class with straight D's. He doesn't have good grades but they're considered passing grades.If your school allowed passing students to be excused from finals, then ALL passing students would be permitted to not take finals. Does that seem fair? Do you think that D grade student deserves what you deserve - an A/B student?
KendraTaylor

Pro

No, I am saying that anyone below a solid C ( C-, D+, D, D-, F ) should have to take a final. I know that some kids are not very good in some subjects, and that is perfectly alright. I struggle with some subjects myself. I just think those who can have an solid C and up are really really trying to get the grades they need to have for a better ( whatever it is they are goin for. ) those who have below the average grade ( I think ) are either really struggling, and not asking for help, or they just don't care. I believe that they should have to take a final in order to help them bring up their grade. I know ( in my school ) that a lot of kids are retaking classes at lower levels because they failed the class and because they simply just didn't care at that time what they got. Those who are really trying, and really working hard to get the grades they have, shouldn't have to worry about a final exam. it would make it easier on those kids.. I over heard one of my teachers talking about a couple students who didn't have to worry about taking the final because of their grades, ( which were a bit higher then mine ) If one student doesn't have to take the final yet everyone else in the class does.. doesn't that seem a bit unfair? If that student was helping the others who had to then that would be extremely nice, but I know that ( most ) won't do that.
SummerLover19

Con

This is the last round so I will say as much as I can.

Those who are really trying, and really working hard to get the grades they have, shouldn't have to worry about a final exam. - Pro

I believe you; there are students who work hard to get the grades they have or want, but you have to think about the students who work harder. If students have the ability to raise an x grade to a y grade, they have the capability to raise that grade into an A. Students with average grades aren't the only ones who struggle; students with straight A's can struggle just as much because they want to keep their report card and GPA in tact. I understand that you think it's unfair certain students don't have to take finals but to me, personally, it's completely fair. The teachers you overheard speaking about students not having to take finals probably had a good reason to not let them; those students they spoke of probably had top grades in their classrooms or top ranks in their GPA. Teachers aren't usually impressed by students with average grades (they are kind of neutral about it), they mostly focus on kids with the best and worst grades. For students with the worst grades, they think they should take finals as a last resort to improve their grades, and as for students with the best grades, some teachers think, "their grades are high enough already. So why give them a final?". When teachers think about students with average grades taking a final, they probably think, "maybe they want their grades higher" or "I don't think they care one way or another as long as they are passing classes". In conclusion, I think students with passing grades should take finals because it might help them better their grades, including themselves. Not all passing students feel like they've done enough for their grades, many feel they need the best grade they can receive so they prefer studying as hard as they can and take finals. If a student can manage to earn a passing grade or higher they can manage to take a final and still have that grade, if not way better.

Vote Con.
Posted by KendraTaylor 1 year ago
KendraTaylor
I can understand that a lot, but here at my school, they can drop your grade by a lot actually.. I just don't see the point of those who are passing the class to take a final that can hurt the grade you worked so hard to get. Now those that have a C or below should take it, but i think the final should help your grade instead of bein able to possibly hurt it.
Posted by CommunistDog 1 year ago
CommunistDog
In my opinion, finals will really boost your grades rather than lower them. The teachers (at my school) have study sessions and I am trying to assemble my notes and organize them. With all of these preparations, I will surely be able to use the finals to my advantage. On con's side of whether you should or shouldn't when you've passed a class, it can also hurt your grade if you don't understand some parts of the curriculum. Although, that can be solved by looking back at your notes or asking your teacher.
Posted by KendraTaylor 1 year ago
KendraTaylor
thanks!!
Posted by SummerLover19 1 year ago
SummerLover19
Perfect! And welcome to Debate.org. You'll love it here.
Posted by SummerLover19 1 year ago
SummerLover19
Just go to your debate, press edit debate, then it should be right there to change it.
Posted by KendraTaylor 1 year ago
KendraTaylor
and how do you change the voting period? I'm sorry but i am new to this
Posted by SummerLover19 1 year ago
SummerLover19
I'll accept your challenge if you change your voting period.
Vote Placed by Kreakin 1 year ago
Kreakin
KendraTaylorSummerLover19Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Arguments goes to Con for sound refutation of Pros arguments, for example, the need for grading to be fair and reflective. Con was the only side to use sources, even if it was wiki : /