MorganMichelle13
Orpheus

School Locker Searches

MorganMichelle13

Pro

I am for locker searches because you never know what a student would bring to school. Such as knives, guns, drugs, hit lists, and many more! But if we have locker searches we could prevent shootings!! The schools would be much safer and a lot more lives would be saved rather than lost.
Orpheus

Con

But if we have locker searches we could...

Since my opponent made no distinctions, I am going to assume when they say "locker searches" they mean random locker searches done without student's prior notice. I am inferring this from the way they claim these searches could be used to "prevent shootings" and "save lives".

I want to start off by pointing out the Fifth Amendment of the US Constitution.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized. (1)

Basically, you can't do random locker searches because it is unconstitutional. Therefore, your whole argument is already undermined.

The ACLU has also held up this position in public schools. In concerning lockers they say that the school can only search a locker "when they have a general concern that they might find evidence of a crime or a violation of a school rule." (2) You have to have probable cause or reasonable suspicion to search student's possessions. (2)

But legal arguments aside, I fail to see how locker searches will do any of the things my opponent points out. I don't believe locker searches would be very effective in shooting prevention for a number of reasons.

I. Many school shootings take place by non-students.
II. I don't think shooters store their weapons inside school lockers beforehand.
III. The probability of finding a gun on a day of a locker search in time to prevent a shooting is extremely small.

I don't understand how this could save lives. Even if you popped lockers open daily to look for guns I doubt that would prevent shootings. People would just bring the gun in on their person or hide it elsewhere if that's what they needed to do. In fact, if locker searches became regular, students would keep contraband elsewhere. Why would you keep contraband in your locker if you knew it would be searched? If this search method was put in place the items you mentioned would migrate to other areas you can't search at will thus mitigating any of the effects you mentioned above.

In conclusion...

* Random locker searches without probable cause are unconstitutional.
* If we could implement random locker searches on a regular basis, contraband would be hidden elsewhere and the chance of preventing contraband or rule breaking via locker search would decrease dramatically.
* School shootings have very little if not nothing to do with lockers and locker searches and thus the presence or nonpresence of locker searches would have no affect on school shootings and would therefore not save lives.

Thank you!

(1) http://constitution.findlaw.com...
(2) http://www.acluutah.org...;
MorganMichelle13

Pro

MorganMichelle13 forfeited this round.
Orpheus

Con

Extend all arguments...
MorganMichelle13

Pro

MorganMichelle13 forfeited this round.
Orpheus

Con

Orpheus forfeited this round.
MorganMichelle13

Pro

MorganMichelle13 forfeited this round.
Orpheus

Con

Orpheus forfeited this round.
MorganMichelle13

Pro

Yes, but the fact that students bring whatever they want to school that can be harmful proves all the more reason for locker searches. They are constitutional because your locker can only be searched upon probable cause. Plus, if locker searches weren't allowed schools would be extremely dangerous! If you don't want the school to go through your items than don't bring anything private, yes I am a girl and I do understand but there are ways to hide those items. Therefore, locker searches are a good thing.
Orpheus

Con

Orpheus forfeited this round.
Posted by mike374040 4 years ago
mike374040
Random Locker searches are not unconstitutional. They do not violate any rights. The lockers are not your property, they belong to the school. Therefore, the school has the right to search your locker at any point they feel necessary.
Posted by brandonhall.7370013 4 years ago
brandonhall.7370013
i know that they Should Have Locker Searches but i agree That they cant