andyjfraser
Weiler

School Prayer

Weiler

andyjfraser

Con

Is prayer in schools a good thing? I just know when people argue for 'prayer in schools'...it overwhelmingly comes from Christian individuals wanting to give 'their' God the rightful place they think 'He' deserves without pause or recognition to other religions
Weiler

Pro

There is an old saying that goes "As long as there are exams in school, there will be prayer in school".

Prayer in schools have a positive effect on the outlook and performance of the participating students. That's ALL prayer, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, even the little Satanist kids benefit at least psychologically from prayer.
andyjfraser

Con

Unfortunately unless you are in a specific religious school, you are subject to Christianity no matter what faith you are or are not as the case maybe. Prayer is supposed to be a private conversation with you and your God, its supposed to be personalized not a prepared pray that everyone is expected to chant out loud. No one should have the right to push it on to someone whether they believe in God and Prayer or a different God, If prayers should stay in school then the should be tailored to meet all the faith groups represented by the children at that school. But as far as I'm concerned pray means very little to most children these days. In this day and age schools and religion don't make good bedfellows, matters of religion should be something that is decided by the family not he state or school.
Weiler

Pro

The issue here is prayer in school. Not mandatory or compulsory prayer, or even formulated prayer. I'm not really sure where the "Chanting" came into the argument, no Gregorian schools around here. Prayer has a place in schools, but I am by no means advocating the forcing of a particular religion on anyone's child.
andyjfraser

Con

But the point is that in many schools children are forced to go through with pray, we live in a secular society these days and the vast amount of kids don't believe in God, so a s we live in the society as it is now Prayer or any religious activity really has no place in schools. The Bible says that he who stands on street corners prying and professing his religion has already received his reward and will not enter into the kingdom of God. Groups of children paraded in classrooms and assembly halls would be seen in the same manner the bible subscribes. No amount of prayer sessions are going to make a blind bit of difference to most of the kids who either do not believe in the Christian religion or do not believe in religion at all, they would be better of spending that time being educated on the subjects that matter that will get them the grades they need for future life after School
Weiler

Pro

That an abuse of a system happens is no reason to do away with the system, only to do away with the abusers. Allowing student-led and organized prayer in no way offends the freedom of others to believe and pray as they wish. I am not saying classroom time should be sacrificed, but too often prayer is forced out were it should be allowed.
andyjfraser

Con

andyjfraser forfeited this round.
Weiler

Pro

Doth my opponent concede?

A shame indeed.
andyjfraser

Con

Sorry for being unable to do round 4, unfortunately I have been rather unwell

The bottom line on this issue for me is that children are forced by their school to take part, and that most schools use Christianity as the base for all their religious activities. For me there are only two ways to solve this.

1. Ensure that all children's needs are covered which would mean that all religions a covered.
2. To remove religious education and activities from school altogether.

As I have pointed out before I would go with choice 2, in the secular world we live in I can see no real value in allowing time for prayer. School is for educating, there are churches and peoples homes for pray and other religious activities.
Weiler

Pro

Perhaps children in the UK are forced to pray in school. I don't know being a lifelong American. However, I am not advocating FORCED prayer in schools.

Student-led prayer, in whatever formulation those choose, should not be prohibited,
Posted by Sagey 3 years ago
Sagey
I agree Giraffe, children should have say a 10 minute rest period where they can pray, meditate or simply gather their thoughts.
No forced prayer or non-prayer.
Just a bit of Self-Time.
Posted by giraffelover 3 years ago
giraffelover
I think there should be prayer in schools, but not forced prayer. Students should not be forced to not pray, but shouldn't be forced to pray if he/she is an atheist.
Posted by Sagey 3 years ago
Sagey
Meditation is non-religious and has demonstrated to offer even more psychological benefits than prayer.
Prayer offers only some of the benefits that meditation gives students.
Meditation improves concentration better than prayer.
So if schools traded prayer for meditation, the students would all benefit.
Those students who are religions can pray to themselves during their meditation.
So all students, including those that are religions are catered for.
I believe that Meditation should be introduced into all public schools to replace prayer.
Then watch the students thrive!
More relaxed, better self-image, control and concentration.
Posted by andyjfraser 3 years ago
andyjfraser
No it refers to the fact that most schools these days are made up of children from many backgrounds and cultures, so why should they be force to take part in religious prayers and events that they don't believe in. Religion is a personal choice and I feel that school is not the best place for religious education, that should be down to the child's family to take car of. The time wasted on religious stuff could be better spent on other educational pursuits.
Posted by TheYummyCod 3 years ago
TheYummyCod
I assume that 'School Prayer' refers to simply allowing Christians to pray in schools...
Vote Placed by TheSilentHorseman 3 years ago
TheSilentHorseman
andyjfraserWeilerTied
Reasons for voting decision: The ambiguity of the resolution made it difficult to determine who won the debate as neither debater argued in adherence to a single topic. So, I had to go with the other votes. PRO got conduct for staying in the debate, and his spelling was better. So, my votes must go to him.