FeistyBroad
Acornlad

School Testing

FeistyBroad

FeistyBroad

Con

Schools should be doing more teaching and less testing at the grammar school level. There is no reason why a child should not pass a grade level based on a state wide test.
Acornlad

Pro

I accept this debate, my position being "for testing at grammar school levels".
FeistyBroad

Con

FeistyBroad forfeited this round.
Acornlad

Pro

By definition a test is: "a critical examination, observation, or evaluation." As cited by the Merriam Webster definition. Therefore if a child is evaluated as not being proficient in their subject, then they are kept from moving to a new grade level where the material builds off the previous grade levels' curriculum and kept in the same grade to strengthen their knowledge on the subject before moving forward.
FeistyBroad

Con

Standardized testing costs 1.7 billion per year, this would save taxpayers a lot of money ending the madness. These tests are unreliable when measuring a student's performance. In 2011, a study found that testing does not improve student achievement. The United States has dropped in Math, Reading, and Science. The testing only measures a small portion of education. Teachers are in classes teaching a test as opposed to teaching from a book. This is only hurting education, the teachers and students should not be held accountable for poor test grades. Not all students test the same, some students test poorly, but at the same time know more than they are showing on the test. These tests do not bring a positive learning environment for the student or for the teacher, both of which are stressed. The student is stressed fearing they may not pass and can not move up to the next grade. The teacher may lose their job if some of the students do not pass this test. Testing is good to see what level students are at and what the school or teacher need to work on, but it should not be a deciding factor on anything.
http://www.nap.edu...
http://www.science20.com...
Acornlad

Pro

Acornlad forfeited this round.
Posted by Acornlad 1 year ago
Acornlad
I would like to mention I accepted the debate, but I did not state my case because I need a clarification on what you define as grammar school as I asked for in my previous comment.
Posted by Acornlad 1 year ago
Acornlad
When you say grammar school, do you mean Kindergarten through 5th grade?
Vote Placed by U.n 12 months ago
U.n
FeistyBroadAcornladTied
Reasons for voting decision: Round 1 is just opening statements declaring their position. And the forfeited turns cancel out. Pro argues that children should not move on to stronger material before they've reach a certain level at their current material. (I would have preferred to see more elaboration on this). Con argues that schools aren't teaching to learn, they're teaching to test and mentions a study that found testing doesn't help promote learning. And continues that the testing creates an atmosphere of fear and stress. I found the further elaboration by Con combined with the mentioned study to form a more convincing argument.