Kim_winter
Lexus

School Uniform Should Be Banned

Lexus

Kim_winter

Pro

School uniform should definitely be banned for many reasons.
First of all, pupils should be able and should be encouraged to express themselves and be creative with what they wear. Everyone wearing the same uniform takes away their individuality and the right to be able to wear whatever they want.
Own clothes are more comfortable and in the cold, school uniforms aren't warm enough. Surely we can wear badges to say which school we are from, especially on school trips!
If we are comfortable wearing our own clothes in class we should be able to focus better in class.
School uniform can be very expensive as compared to our own clothes as well as if not washed quick enough it can pose a real problem.
No matter what you dress students who bully others will always find a reason to do so. Making everyone wear the same clothes is not going to make the problem magically disappear.
To conclude, students wearing their own clothes will be able to express themselves, show individuality and spend less money.
Lexus

Con

Hi, thanks to Kim_winter for starting this debate, looking forward to it. In this round I'm going to make a constructive case (I assume that most people understand what the words 'school uniforms should be banned' mean), without doing any rebuttals.
-----
Contention One: Deterrence of Crime. In Long Beach, California, the school board there initiated a district-wide rule that made sure that all students, from Kindergarten to Eighth grade, wore uniforms to school everyday, and the results after just two years is remarkable: assault and battery went down by 34%, assault with a deadly weapon down by 50%, sex offenses down by 74% (!), robbery went down 65%, and possession of drugs went down by 69% [1]. A 2007 peer-reviewed study illustrated the fact that when schools that have been historically known for higher incidences of sexual assault bring in school uniforms, sexual attacks are less likely to happen [2]. Because of these facts, let me give you some premises:
  • P1: It is a good idea to reduce violence in schools.
  • P2: Enforcing uniforms reduces violence in schools.
  • C: It is a good idea to start enforcing uniforms.
Contention Two: Increased Productivity.A letter published by the NASSP, the National Association of Secondary School Principals, said that, "When all students are wearing the same outfit, they are less concerned about how they look and how they fit in with their peers; thus, they can concentrate on their schoolwork" [3]. In 2010, the University of Houston conducted a study that showed that when elementary schools implemented school uniforms, the average test score for a girl went up by 3% [4]. Before I go on, I just want you to think about that statistic, and the implications of it. 3% less people failed the 3rd grade, all thanks to wearing something that was provided by a school, at little or no cost. Now, you may not think that is important, but boy, you'd be wrong. Let me give you some premises:
  • P1: We ought to increase test scores of our children by any means.
  • P2: Enforcement of school uniforms directly links to increased test scores.
  • C: We ought to enforce school uniforms.

Contention Three: Reduced peer pressure and bullying. (I know that this point is in direct conflict with my opponent's main points, but I'm not going to refute them or anything, just provide reasons why it actually does reduce these things). In 2013, the National Association of Elemtary School Principals, NAESP, over 85% of school leaders said that uniforms promote "a significant, positive impact on peer pressure," and over 60% said that they reduce bullying [5]. Let's just think about that for a second... that could be up to 60% less people that commit suicide... 60% less mass murders due to bullying... 60% more productivity. Virginia B. Draa, Assistant Professor of Human Ecology at Youngstown State University, said uniforms can decrease peer pressure and blur class lines between students [6]. Here are some premises:

• P1: We ought to decrease bullying.
  • P2: Enforcement of school uniforms decreases bullying.

-----
[1]: M. Sue Stanley, "School Uniforms and Safety," Education and Urban Society, Aug. 1996
[2]: J. Scott Granberg-Rademacker, Jeffrey Bumgarner, and Avra Johnson, "Do School Violence Policies Matter? An Empirical Analysis of Four Approaches to Reduce School Violence," Southwest Journal of Criminal Justice, Spring 2007
[3]: Peter Caruso, "Individuality vs. Conformity: The Issue behind School Uniforms," NASSP (National Association of Secondary School Principals) Bulletin, Sep. 1996
[4]: Elisabetta Gentile and Scott A. Imberman, "Dressed for Success? The Effect of School Uniforms on Student Achievement and Behavior," utdallas.edu, Jan. 15, 2010
[5]: National Association of Elementary School Principals, "National Survey of School Leaders Reveals 2013 School Uniform Trends," naesp.org, July 30, 2013
[6]: Jennifer Weiss, "Do Clothes Make the Student?," nytimes.com, Sep. 16, 2006

-----
Closing remarks:
I just want you to leave you with this quote from Bill Clinton:
"If it means teenagers will stop killing each other over designer jackets, then our public schools should be able to require their students to wear school uniforms."
Kim_winter

Pro

I disagree that school uniforms cost little. A survey commissioned by YouGov shows us clear evidence that it is expensive. �110 is spent on school uniform and "20 on school shoes each year on average in the UK, whereas if pupils were to wear their own clothes, parents would not have to waste money. Education is supposed to be free, and yet we have to pay for uniforms.
In the event of a crime, everyone is wearing the same so it will be difficult to identify the culprit.
Teachers often have to spend time telling pupils to tuck their shirts in, or tie their tie properly, etc. Isn't education more important than that?
Lexus

Con

Thanks for responding so quickly. During this round I'm going to be refuting your R1 points, and in the next round I'm going to be defending my own case from attacks that you've made, if you made any.
-----
Rebuttals:
"First of all, pupils should be able and should be encouraged to express themselves and be creative with what they wear"
First, what is more important: having the ability to wear a t-shirt, or having the ability to deter crime massively? Second, you will still have the ability to decorate your clothes in moderation. Obviously you cannot scorch weed leaves into your outfit, but if you want to tuck up your sleeves or wear your hair a certain way, or have a certain bow, then that should be okay. School uniforms do not diminish the outlet for creativity.
"Own clothes are more comfortable and in the cold, school uniforms aren't warm enough"
The definition of school uniforms isn't cold, miserable clothing, it's just a strict set of guidelines for someone to wear at school. Wear your own clothes in the cold! Nobody is keeping you from doing that! But once you are in school, you should just wear the uniforms, since they have so many advantages.
"Surely we can wear badges to say which school we are from, especially on school trips!"
wat.png
"If we are comfortable wearing our own clothes in class we should be able to focus better in class."
I don't really like being that guy, but what's your source for this? I have a card in my case that says that uniforms actually INCREASE productivity and attentiveness during class, so we must render your argument invalid.
"School uniform can be very expensive as compared to our own clothes as well as if not washed quick enough it can pose a real problem."
Not if the school pays for them, which I suggest to every single school that is considering having uniforms.
"No matter what you dress students who bully others will always find a reason to do so"
Look at my third contention, then get back to me with this argument. But seriously,60% less bullying occurs as a direct result of implementing uniforms. Tell me that isn't good...
"Making everyone wear the same clothes is not going to make the problem magically disappear."
We can do more than just implementing uniforms, sure, but uniforms are a HUGE step in reducing peer pressure and bullying in schools.
-----
Closing remarks:
Vote CON because I have rendered almost all of PRO's arguments invalid, and have said that the benefits of implementing uniforms far outweigh the harms (if there are any!)
Kim_winter

Pro

Kim_winter forfeited this round.
Lexus

Con

extend all arguments.
vote CON
Posted by onceoponme_465 2 years ago
onceoponme_465
i think we should not have uniforms in school because it is a bully target and it is a way not to express your feelings a way to express your feeling is t wear what you want and to express your interest in your style and your feelings.
Vote Placed by chrisjachimiak 2 years ago
chrisjachimiak
Kim_winterLexusTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con used more reliable sources and had more convincing arguments. No doubt they should win.