GregM
lillunchboxbandit

School Uniform

Con Tied Pro

GregM

Con

A general debate on whether schools should have a uniform. As I am against and this is my first debate, I will let my opponent make their case first. I look forward to a fun discussion of the topic.
lillunchboxbandit

Pro

I think that school uniforms are not good, but not bad either. It all depends on what school you go to. For example, an expensive private school will most likely have uniforms because people think that uniforms keep kids from forming gangs and misbehaving. This is not true, because there is a school close to where I live that has a uniform, yet there is almost always someone with a broken limb due to school fights. A lot of schools think of dressing freely as a privilege. If the students at that school are unruly (which is usually the case), then they give them uniforms. The students are unhappy with the uniforms and start misbehaving even more. This pretty much destroys the chance of getting to dress freely. I don't really have an opinion on school uniforms. I just don't think it matters if a school has them or not.
GregM

Con

Unfortunately I don't feel my opponent really provided a convincing argument in favour of school uniforms. He did mention that some schools think of dressing freely as a privilege. Presumably to encourage good behaviour.

This wont work for several reasons.
Those students who are alienated from the school system aren't going to behave well just so they don't have to wear a uniform. There are many things that cause bad behaviour, one important one is alienation from the school. In fact this kind of threat will more likely alienate them even more as they will see it as a form of blackmail. Those that get given a uniform as punishment could also wear it as a badge of pride in the same way as getting a detention is a way of earning respect.

There are several other arguments often provided to support school uniform. For instance, that they promote Unity. They don't because what happens is the independent minded will become agitated by this and will find ways to disrupt the atmosphere of the school. Not good for Unity.

Also people claim that Uniform makes it easier for teachers to identify their students on school trips and such. Well if they are looking for a particular student it then becomes harder for them to find the person they are looking for due to all the students being dressed the same. Also most students don't really need to be babysat on school trips as they can look after themselves. Unless of course you mean those aged 10 or under in which case the school shouldn't be taking them somewhere dangerous anyway.

I think that It does matter if a school has a uniform or not. If the uniform isn't mandatory then I am fine with it being a free choice for people to wear. However trying to force people to wear a particular set of clothing is unjustified and an unnecessary restriction on pupils. Perhaps if there wasn't a school uniform pupils would feel less inclined to misbehave as they will have less reason to. I look forward to my opponents response.

Source and further information: http://www.members.tripod.com...
lillunchboxbandit

Pro

Okay. I have no way of proving uniforms are good, and you have no way of proving uniforms are bad. The reason for this is because neither are true. Everyone hates uniforms for some odd reason. To me, uniforms really don't matter. I don't know. I think I may be the only one who doesn't care about uniforms at all. If your school makes you wear uniforms, then you wear the uniforms. There's no proof that a single bad thing could happen because of uniforms. You just wear them. Sure, you may want to compete over who has a bigger hurley logo on their sweatshirt. If you can't, then too bad. Deal with it. There's nothing you can do to change the fact that you have to wear uniforms. It just is.
GregM

Con

I'm not trying to prove that school uniforms are bad, I'm trying to argue that they should be a free choice. I think that a uniform is a piece of clothing and therefore itself isn't good or bad. I , in a sense agree with you that doesn't matter whether somebody wants to wear a uniform or not and therefore think that schools shouldn't force people to wear uniforms. People don't always want to just 'Deal with it". They shouldn't have to put up with this nonsense. Pupils get sent home and the like for having uniform errors. You say "It just is", things are put in place by people. Not everyone wants to compete with the latest fashion craze. They just want to not have to deal with this meaningless hassle. Also what you wear affects how you feel, people have the right to choose how they feel.

The only bad thing that happens because of uniform is it annoys people. For this reason people should be allowed to wear what they want. You might say 'It wouldn't matter if people didn't care about it'. People care about making their own decisions.

I think that uniforms don't matter and people should therefore be allowed to wear what they want.

You think that uniforms don't matter and therefore people shouldn't care.

People should vote for the approach they agree with most
I think my way will solve the root of the problem rather than just writing the problem off.

Thanks for the debate.
lillunchboxbandit

Pro

1. By "It just is",I meant that we have no control over the school district and what they say goes. It's not like we an protest or anything.

2. I really don't see what the deal is with uniforms. People act as if the uniforms are the most distasteful and disgusting outfits ever. The clothes they would wear if there wasn't a uniform probably look worse.

3. Thank you for this debate! This is one of the first debates I've had where people don't take it very seriously.
Posted by BUCKL3R 4 years ago
BUCKL3R
I'm for student uniforms but box boy's argument was not the least bit appealing. I have to give it to con, who made a pretty compelling argument. Though I'm still for student uniforms.
Posted by silntwaves 4 years ago
silntwaves
dood. lillunchboxbandit. how can you say "It doesnt matter if we have school uniforms or not?" You are "FOR" school uniforms, therefore you should be defending them! all throughougt the debate u were like "oh its not big deal....school uniforms..who cares if they have them or not?" Con obviously had a better composure...at least he actually attempted on this debate enough to put something down...easy win to con.... pro needs to work on skills..:p
Posted by RoyLatham 4 years ago
RoyLatham
s,, So the cure is to buy uniforms at public expense for kids who cannot afford them. Surely the concept of "public expense" is familiar to subjects of the Crown. Since after school is essentially "after work," it is less formal and less subject to fashion. At least that's what parents in Baltimore discovered to be the case, because there was less total expense. It's not just students who benefit from focus aided by uniforms, it is police, firemen, delivery services, and many in business and health professions.
Posted by SirAntonyP 4 years ago
SirAntonyP
Well im in the uk, if children don't have a uniform they get sent home, if they arnt in school the parents get thousands of pounds in fines not to mention the court costs, i am speaking from experience of being poor, choosing to eat rather than pay 30 quid for a jumper that could easily be made for a fraction of the cost which in sure they are.

And for the record fashion fads arnt just in school people do have lives of the school property, it would cost more in-fact since they need school cloths plus cloths for after school.
Posted by RoyLatham 4 years ago
RoyLatham
SirAntonyP, Experience with a uniforms requirement in Baltimore indicates it saves clothing costs. It ends parents having to feed expensive fashion fads. It's a few uniforms versus a closet full of trendy stuff. The savings from that is large enough to allow giving poor kids free uniforms.
Posted by SirAntonyP 4 years ago
SirAntonyP
No there shouldn't be, for the fact it's only there to make profit, and the poor families can't afford to eat and pay £30 for one stupid jumper.
Posted by RoyLatham 4 years ago
RoyLatham
Pro assumed the burden of proof to advocate school uniforms, which he did not do. Pro was neither for uniforms nor against them, which is not the makings of a debate. Therefore, the arguments go to Con.
Posted by rougeagent21 4 years ago
rougeagent21
That was an unfortunate waste of a topic.
Posted by studentathletechristian8 4 years ago
studentathletechristian8
Pro really did not argue the first round. Instead of being Pro, he was Apathetic.
Posted by Xer 4 years ago
Xer
If you change the voting period to a week or so, I'll play devil's advocate.
Vote Placed by BUCKL3R 4 years ago
BUCKL3R
GregMlillunchboxbanditTied
Vote Placed by JSquires 4 years ago
JSquires
GregMlillunchboxbanditTied
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 4 years ago
RoyLatham
GregMlillunchboxbanditTied
Vote Placed by lillunchboxbandit 4 years ago
lillunchboxbandit
GregMlillunchboxbanditTied
Vote Placed by atheistman 4 years ago
atheistman
GregMlillunchboxbanditTied