School Uniforms Should not be Required

I argue schools should not require uniforms. Beware, debaters, for I am actually prepared for this one, planned the rounds out, and did my research. So, who's ready for my first serious debate?
Round one: acceptance
round two: opening statements
round three and four: rebuttals
round five: conclusion, no new arguments

School uniforms are necessary because
1. Enable children to focus on their school work as opposed to what type of clothes they wear

2. They put all children at the same level as socioeconomic status is not apparent from the uniforms they where since they are all the same.

3. Removes the status symbol associated with flashy clothes removing peer pressures of that kind

4. Bring a sense of uniformity & unity among pupils

5. Good for security as you can identify kids who should be at a particular school

6. Save parents money especially those coming fr poor families

7. Uniforms also enable students to get ready for school faster as they don't have much of a fashion statement to make, just put on your uniform and you are ready to go

8. Uniforms enable students to self express in a way that is relevant to their learning i.e through extra curriculum activities, their talents

9. Enable children to make friends based on personality and character instead of what you wear

10. In a way wearing school uniforms reduces bullying since some of the bullying comes from what other children wear, so if clothing is standardized there is no bullying based on that

you were supposed to just accept the debate. Oh well, I'll guess I'll have a head-start as well.
1....focus on their school work as opposed to what type of clothes they wear, you say??
Well, in the adult world students have to make their own choices and school uniforms exclude that, as shown in "Brosnan, Peter, and Alexis Brindley. "What Not to Wear: A School's Dress Code Limits Clothing Styles and Colors." Current Events, a Weekly Reader Publication 28 Mar. 2011: 7. Opposing Viewpoints in Context.Web. 10 Feb.2014."

2. ...same level as socioeconomic status is not apparent from the uniforms ...which is exactly why school uniforms send out a sense of anti-individuality that goes against our personal liberty and freedom of expression. A nation that believes in this kind of thing should not go against it. It would not really matter if this was not in the constitution in the first place, but seriously--the constitution is the basic belief of America, and breaking it is a big blunder!
the author of " Fetzer, Kent J. "School Uniforms Stifle Freedom of Expression." Salt Lake Tribune [Detroit] 18 Apr. 2002: F2. Opposing Viewpoints in Context.Web. 10 Feb.2014." clearly agrees.

3. Removes the status symbol associated with flashy clothes...arguably nobody can display how high their status are with school uniforms, a clear down side.

4. Bring a sense of uniformity & unity among pupils...Perhaps it is too much of a unity, almost like robots! As shown in "Dolan, Maura. "CALIFORNIA; Court Rejects School's Shirts; Judges Say Requiring Students to Wear the School's Motto Is a Free-Speech Violation." Los Angeles Times [Los Angeles] 15 Feb. 2014: AA3. Elibrary. Web. 21 Feb. 2014." The parent openly disagrees, stating "I believe we should...advance independent, creative thinkers -- not standardized, uniformed thinkers." Frudden said. "To do anything less is to do our children and our society a disservice."

6. Save parents money...As shown from "Brosnan, Peter, and Alexis Brindley. "What Not to Wear:... Styles and Colors." Current Events, a Weekly Reader Publication.", parents are unsatisfied with the school uniform prices, indicating that school uniforms don't exactly save parents money. They would not complain if the school uniforms actually saved money!

7. Uniforms also enable students to get ready for school faster...again, very arguable. Students could change clothes at night and go to school at the same pace of another student who has a school uniform.

8. Uniforms enable students to self express....NO, they do NOT! As I said before, the uniform sends messages of anti-individuality, the exact opposite of expressing one-self! In addition, emblems are heavily disdained, as shown in "Dolan, Maura. "CALIFORNIA; Court... Violation." Los Angeles Times [Los Angeles]." and

9. Enable children to make friends... instead of what you wear....You have given no evidence that children base other children on what they wear.

10. ...uniforms reduces bullying...A person's clothes really have nothing to do what goes on. If someone isn't very smart or physically capable they will still get bullied regardless of the fact that they look the same as everyone else.
Good luck making your rebuttal!

yahthatsme forfeited this round.

aw come on! I bet I will win again by forfeit Why do I always win by a bad way? All my six debates I won, the opponent forfeited... :(
Just...just base the argument on the rest of the rounds. I want a fair fight!!
However I do not concede. I still hold my points in the fact that within a federal law case, the parents lost, and the nation contradicts its belief in freedom of expression
(And do NOT forfeit again my opponent, for I will not forgive you!)
"Forfeit once, shame on me. Forfeit twice, shame on you. Forfeit three times, you lose for sure."--9spaceking's random quote

sorry for the miss, but here goes

1. the expression of students via clothing style & colors is something students can do after school. the argument is that during scholling hours lets not create layers of priorities that compete with the learning of the child, there are other avenues that students can productively express themselves creatively during school time

2. to the contrary school uniform even the playing field enabling socioeconomic status not to be an issue as regards to a students learning potential. moreso school uniforms equalize students and clearly reinforce the american constitution by saying we are all equal nomatter how financial positions, we can all learn & we can all be something in life irregardof our finances

3. fashion shows that students do in non-uniform schools trying to compete with each ther are an unecessary distraction to learning

4. by saying robots u are implying that uniforms stifle creativity but Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking, both extremely intelligent men, grew up wearing uniforms to school. Proof enough that wearing uniforms dont stifle creativity or make people roots but actually help students to learn and not to indulge in distracting fashion shows.

5. in non-uniform schools student wear their own clothes now this means the cloths wear & tear faster as they are used more often meaning you have to replace your childrens clothing more. so having 2 pairs of uniform to wear for the whole year is cheaper, simple economics.

1. school uniforms teaches students about being professional and prepares them for an adult world. People in the business world wear a uniform of sorts every day; can you imagine a court of law where the judge was wearing a sloppy t-shirt or jeans with their underwear showing. Uniforms set a tone to the atmosphere and a behavioral expectation. Students should be encouraged to dress for school just like they would if they were working at a job.

2. institutions in the world have dress codes, even schools that dont wear uniforms have dress codes. it becomes a nightmare to enforce such a dress code in non-uniform schools taking valuable time better spent on teaching.

You have yet to cite any sources at all, and you have lots of spelling and grammar errors.
And what are the "other avenues that students can productively express themselves creatively during school time"?
"Equalize students....", "we can all learn & we can all be something in life regardless of our finances"... Didn't you already state that in the first round? Oh well.
"fashion shows that students do..."WHAT? I've never seen any "fashion shows that students do"!!
Albert and Stephen are bad examples. Arguably they're not very creative. They're just insanely intelligent.
" prepares them for an adult world..." Well most jobs don't require uniforms.
"Dress code...." Although uniforms can deduce the stress on dress codes, and completely removes the need for it, there's still my argument about emblems.
That argument still stands. Schools cannot force people to wear a message, whether it's controversial or not.

yahthatsme forfeited this round.

I am sorry. You must be way too busy. Unfortunately I doubt you will win, even if your argument is the strongest argument ever in DDO history. Nobody who has forfeited won me. You have to try harder next time.
Good debate anyways. Much better than that other guy who didn't even try.

Virginia Draa, assistant professor at Youngstown State University, reviewed attendance, graduation and proficiency pass rates at 64 public high schools in Ohio. Her final analysis surprised her: "I really went into this thinking uniforms don't make a difference, but I came away seeing that they do. At least at these schools, they do. I was absolutely floored."

Draa's study concluded that those schools with uniform policies improved in attendance, graduation and suspension rates. She was unable to connect uniforms with academic improvement because of such complicating factors as changing instructional methods and curriculum.

University of Missouri assistant professor, David Brunsma reached a different conclusion. In his 2004 book, The School Uniform Movement and What It Tells Us About American Education: A Symbolic Crusade, Brunsma reviewed past studies on the effect of uniforms on academic performance. He also conducted his own analysis of two enormous databases, the 1988 National Educational Longitudinal Study and the 1998 Early Childhood Longitudinal Study. Brunsma concluded that there is no positive correlation between uniforms and school safety or academic achievement.

In closing school uniforms also
Help prevent gangs from forming on campus
Encourage discipline by teaching students to adhere to rules
Help students resist peer pressure to buy trendy clothes
Diminish economic and social barriers between students
Increase a sense of belonging and school pride

How students can be creative at school
-by being effective learners, the greatest form of creativity is expressed with knowledge
-students can be creative in debate, science projects, chess, acting, sports

Anecdotal evidence shows the effectiveness of uniforms

Here is how school uniforms prevent bullying
School uniforms make act as a leveler between rich and poor students because it means all students wear the same thing no matter what their socio-economic back ground.

If students wore their everyday clothes their would be a big gap between what rich students wore and what poor students wore. Clothing would become an indicator of how well off a child's parents were. Children would inevitably begin to be bullied if they were not able to keep up with the latest and often expensive fashion trends.

At school all students should be seen as equal amongst their peers and ensuring they all wear the same uniform is one way to ensure that is the case. Students will find enough reasons to bully each other on their own, we do no need to give them another one on the plate.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con opened by harming their conduct, then proceeded to forfeit multiple rounds. Not even going into refusal to provide sources (failing the cross examination), I can clearly see the objective worse conduct, but it would make me biased on the rest; therefore I am only grading conduct.