ID20111377
LogicalThinker

School Uniforms are a good Idea

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

ID20111377

Pro

I support the idea of school uniforms. There are strong reasons for that. I wore school uniform from 7 to 15 years old and I'd never felt that it reflects on my personality or stops me from expressing myself. I knew that it was just a rule and I was never agains the discipline. Discipline lead to good results. So students were more concentrated on their studies than on their clothes and also they shouldn't spent at least 30-40 minutes in front of wardrobe choosing the best outfit for that day. In schools where uniforms are required there is decreasing of fights, violence among students, sexual offencies and what is important there is less comparision between people from different social levels. So students from families where cannot efford expensive and fancy clothes are more likely to feel equal to those from richer families.
LogicalThinker

Con

OK. I'll start by saying I'm a socialist and I believe that there should be no social differences between different families. The fact remains though that there are great social differences between families but, when it comes to clothing, casual clothes can be bought for far less money than school uniforms if done efficiently and wisely ( for instance if bought from Primark ) . And lets face it; no-one is going to go to school in designer clothes that they bare the risk of damaging or defacing. For those reasons I really don't think money is a problem.

Another premise you use is the reduction of violence and sex-offences. You have not stated why you think there is an increase in violence and you have not offered any relevant sources of information so I cannot argue this point.

The premise of an increase in sex-offence however is, I assume, in your opinion, is caused by girls wearing mini skirts, low necked-tops, e.t.c. People cannot be blamed for sexual attacks directed at them under any circumstances! People should be able to wear what they want without having to worry about a criminal attacking them. The purpose of the 'SlutWalk' protests is to promote this point. You can look those up on Google.

Finally, I can talk from experience. My school has hosted many 'No Uniform' days which allow us to wear what we want for the duration of that day. Our education is no less intuitive or productive on those days, and no-one is attacked or sexually abused, what-so-ever.

J.P.
ID20111377

Pro

ID20111377 forfeited this round.
LogicalThinker

Con

The Guardian newspaper claims that school uniforms do not necessarily leed to good results. In fact one of the most up-and-coming schools in England does not require a school uniform--http://m.guardian.co.uk...

Most websites that I've looked at suggest that the continued use of school uniforms is based almost entirely on tradition. The fact that all UK academies have strict rules on school uniforms ( also quoted on the above Guardian web page ) supports this claim.

Governments like people to think that school uniforms leed to an increase in grade C-A* exam results as this shifts the cost on to the parents rather than the Dept. Of Education.

Seeing as pro forfeit the previous round; I think that will do for now.
ID20111377

Pro

ID20111377 forfeited this round.
LogicalThinker

Con

Time to vote, I think.
Posted by LogicalThinker 5 years ago
LogicalThinker
You've got one hour pro!
Posted by brian_eggleston 5 years ago
brian_eggleston
"casual clothes can be bought for far less money than school uniforms if done efficiently and wisely ( for instance if bought from Primark)"

ID20111377 is from Kazakhstan, I don't think they have branches of Primark there!
Posted by brian_eggleston 5 years ago
brian_eggleston
@ LogicalThinker. True, but teenagers are very fashion conscious and are very savvy when it comes to designer labels...I won't say any more because it will spoil what promises to be a very a good debate.
Posted by LogicalThinker 5 years ago
LogicalThinker
@Brian Casual clothes are cheaper than school clothes if bought wisely. When we have 'No Uniform Days' in school our day is no less intuitive or productive.
Posted by brian_eggleston 5 years ago
brian_eggleston
I agree with Pro's argument.

When I was at school we had to wear grey trousers (pants), a white shirt with the school tie, a black blazer with the school crest on the breast pocket and a black cap with the school crest on it.

The girls had a similar uniform but with a skirt instead of trousers and no cap.

It made us all look equal, no matter what our family backgrounds were.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
ID20111377LogicalThinkerTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 5 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
ID20111377LogicalThinkerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit
Vote Placed by Raisor 5 years ago
Raisor
ID20111377LogicalThinkerTied
Reasons for voting decision: forfeit