bathejav
RationalMadman

School Uniforms

bathejav

Pro

Through our academic learning period, we have many distractions we must cope with, while going through the education process. These distractions are wide-ranging, but most string from the same topic, popularity. Through the process of making the school uniform universal, you could take away the hierarchy that occurs. Through making the clothing universal everyone appears to be equal and can concentrate on school work, the task they are there for. However, the dress code would be something comfortable and non distracting. This could let students concentrate on their education. As a professor of mine has always said, "Your scholar years are the ones to try your hardest. How you spend this time will decide your fate in society." Also, to address the issue of a universal dress code- there are many more ways to express individuality, other than clothing. For example, individuality can be achieved through extra-curricular programs in which you can communicate your mindset. Overall, a school uniform dress code would lead to a better academic community.
RationalMadman

Con

I have grown up in a strictly uniformed system of schooling. I hate it, with a passion, and would like to state why.

But before I begin my debate I want to counter a potential point often raised by pro on the matter.

Pro school uniform advocates often argue that it reduces inequality because the rich and poor wear the same clothing, thus reducing, if not obliterating, bullying over economic status in society. However, to force a minimum wage family to buy a fairly expensive school uniform (as most are made of top-notch material, especially in sports kit) is for more cruel than allowing the child to buy attractive clothing of a less-well-known-branded clothing. For example, they would be allowed to wear a hand-me-down t-shirt which probably is still in tact and ready to use. In winter they would wear a knitted jumper as opposed to the expensive factory-produced school jumper which their minimum wage family have to give up food to afford. If you want to begin discussing economic inequality, first consider which system (uniform of non-uniform) allows poor families and children the best opportunities. Besides, there are some attractive cheap clothing simply cheap because the brand is not well known, the child could happily wear this.

I shall now state the three contentions which I shall stand by in my opposition to school uniform.

Firstly, a child is a being hampered creatively. Each child is an individual who should be able to wear shat they like to express themselves.

Secondly, uniform teaches people to expect all to be the same and reject weirdness, a very bad attitude in life.

Thirdly, uniform is forcing people to buy from one source often creating a monopoly. This means they can price the uniform as they wish and you will have to buy it. This is economically a poor method of going about business.
bathejav

Pro

bathejav forfeited this round.
RationalMadman

Con

Vote con.
bathejav

Pro

bathejav forfeited this round.
RationalMadman

Con

Concession.

Vote con.