Gymnast1224
Gondun

School Uniforms

Gondun

Gymnast1224

Pro

Hello! I'm here to talk about school uniforms and why they should be accepted. Although most say that parents wont be able to afford these uniforms, it is also known that uniforms help stop bullying. I've heard and seen many humans being treated wrongly because clothing, but that can stop thanks to school uniforms. Who says that school uniforms are more than regular clothes anyway? I am also aware that children take a while to wake up in the morning and take even longer to pick out their clothes. Well, if we allow school uniforms then it would only take children a couple minutes to take whatever they need and a uniform. It also makes them feel better knowing that they look like everybody else. That is round one for me. I wish you luck to challenging me whoever you might be! :)
Gondun

Con

I accept this debate.

The first and most obvious problem with uniforms is that they detract from student individuality and self-expression. A big part of schools is the social aspect and school uniforms limit that. Kids want to be able to show who they are and uniforms don't allow for that. It would be hypocritical for schools to celebrate diversity in culture and background then tell all the students that they must all be the same. For these reasons, uniforms are generally quite unpopular with students, mainly those in high school.

The next reason is a direct result of the first. Because the students can't show individuality through their choice in clothing, they will show it through less desirable methods. These methods include altering the uniforms, tattoos, piercings, etc..., which kind of defeats the purpose of the uniforms.

The final problem with the uniforms would be the difficulty in enforcing it. While most students would wear the uniforms, many would modify or incorrectly wear them, as I said above. This would cause teachers to have to be constantly on the watch for all the small details every day. They would cause the teachers more trouble than they're worth.

On to my opponent's arguments!

My opponent first says that uniforms may be expensive, but they stop bullying. She is right when she says that they can be expensive for poorer parents, which helps my case. The part about uniforms stopping bullying, on the other had, is incorrect. Uniforms may reduce bullying for the way the victim dresses, but they do not solve the root problem. Bullies will find other reasons to pick on kids, so the bullying argument doesn't help the Pro.

My opponent also says that uniforms will reduce the amount of time it takes to get ready in the morning, which is true, but this is not important enough to be considered a real argument. Saving a few minutes in the morning is not important when weighed with the other issues here.
Gymnast1224

Pro

Gymnast1224 forfeited this round.
Gondun

Con

Well, my arguments still stand. I hope my opponent comes back eventually.
Gymnast1224

Pro

Gymnast1224 forfeited this round.
Gondun

Con

Well, another forfeit. Vote for me.
Gymnast1224

Pro

Gymnast1224 forfeited this round.
Gondun

Con

OK, I'm done. Vote for me.
Vote Placed by bazinga390 3 years ago
bazinga390
Gymnast1224GondunTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro pretty much forfeited the entire debate.