PhilosoPhil
LaL36

School Uniforms

LaL36

PhilosoPhil

Con

There should not be school uniforms. Not only do they restrict freedom ox expression, they provide a way for others to group/classify certain kids based on what school they go to (represented by uniforms). If, say, a certain school has a record for not being good, or not having a good system, or being too "white" or too "ghetto" students of that school forced to wear the uniforms will instantly be labeled according to what is said/believed about the school. Also, the assumption that uniforms reduce bullying is false. If anything, it helps bullying. If a student is bullied, how is he/she supposed to be able to identify the bully? "He was wearing khakis and a navy blue shirt", yeah him and all the other 800 kids he/she goes to school with. And not all kids are the same. While some students dont mind wearing uniforms, or being part of a forced conformist trap, other students feel the NEED to express themselves through what they wear. If they have a crappy home life, or are forced to go to church, or are made to dress/act a certain way by their parents, school is the one place they can freely express feelings that are otherwise bottled up and left to boil. Those emotions build up, leading to mental, emotional, and physical meltdowns. In the most severe cases students have committed suicide because they are forced to act/dress a certain way, and even among their friends/peers they arent allowed to show who they are or how they feel. Students dont want to be classified as a unit, they want to be individual, and able to express themselves the one way teenagers know how to best, by what they wear/how they look. When considering the fact of monetary issues, i will admit students that cant afford to dress as nice as other students may be bullied/singled out, this isnt fixed by making everyone wear the same thing in a city/neighbourhood where every has the same issues with poverty. On an ending note, all the problems uniforms supposedly fix are actually intensified by forcing kids to all wear the same thing. And uniforms dont work everywhere, as is assumed, because in some areas most of the students do live in poverty, and the cost of buying and maintaining uniforms for their children is just another financial burden to heap on the plate .
LaL36

Pro

I thank my opponent for issuing this challenge and I wish him luck. Now onto the arguments:

My opponent's opening argument is a little strange. I have heard the argument that school uniforms restricts freedom of expression and I will address that. But my opponent mentions that

"Not only do they restrict freedom ox expression, they provide a way for others to group/classify certain kids based on what school they go to (represented by uniforms). If, say, a certain school has a record for not being good, or not having a good system, or being too "white" or too "ghetto" students of that school forced to wear the uniforms will instantly be labeled according to what is said/believed about the school."

Okay first of all you mention that kids will be labeled badly if they wear school uniform by kids from other schools when there is a bigger problem with not having school uniforms for the kids inside the school. Kids will get teased by kids IN THEIR OWN SCHOOL because they might not have good style or because they dress funny. Next, whatever people label about that school does not go away just because there are not school uniforms. If kids know what school you go to, they will still classify you to the rumors said about the school despite the school uniforms. Also if they are not at that school, how will they say you wearing that school uniform? It's not like you have to wear school uniforms outside of school which brings me to my next point:

Freedom of expression is not abolished just because of school uniforms. Kids have the opportunity to wear what they want outside of school. Plus school is not a place where freedom of expression is the primary concern. You are there to learn. If there are no school uniforms, freedom of expression becomes the main concern and the education becomes diluted. School uniforms provide a stress free morning because you don't have to worry about what to wear, and stress free day because you don't have to worry about what people think. School uniforms does not really hinder one's education whereas free dress does.

"Also, the assumption that uniforms reduce bullying is false. If anything, it helps bullying. If a student is bullied, how is he/she supposed to be able to identify the bully?"

This is also a strange concern. First of all, It is an undeniable fact that it reduces bullying for what you wear. Secondly, identifying the bully is hardly ever the problem when it comes to bullying. A lot of the bullying takes place after school and the next day the bully is not wearing the same thing so the same problem still exists.

"And not all kids are the same. While some students dont mind wearing uniforms, or being part of a forced conformist trap, other students feel the NEED to express themselves through what they wear."

I concede not all kids are the same. I will reiterate what I previously said. Once again, they are still able to express themselves outside of school and I think this is a good thing. This teaches kids that there is a time for everything. School is not intended for you to express yourself through what you wear rather it is a place where you learn and that is what the kid should focus on. If a kid focuses on what he/she wears, it takes some of their focus from school.

"If they have a crappy home life, or are forced to go to church, or are made to dress/act a certain way by their parents, school is the one place they can freely express feelings that are otherwise bottled up and left to boil."

This logic does not make any sense. If there parents force them to dress a certain way, why would they not force them to dress that way at school?

"students have committed suicide because they are forced to act/dress a certain way"

You cannot assert such a claim without a source. Plus even if that is true the blame is on the parents not the school uniforms.

"Students dont want to be classified as a unit"

School uniforms teach that one should not be classified because of what they wear. You cannot call a kid a nerd or a jerk because of how he dresses you are going to have to get to know him first. This is a good lesson to teach kids.

"i will admit students that cant afford to dress as nice as other students may be bullied/singled out, this isnt fixed by making everyone wear the same thing"

Yes it does. A kid will sound like the biggest idiot in the world if he makes fun of what someone wears when there is a school uniform.

Currently my opponents only argument I think that still stands is the financial argument. I still don't think it is valid because kids don't need to know you are poor. Often in school you could tell if someone is poor if he wears the same thing every day. When there is a school uniform there is not really a way to tell unless it has a significantly bad odor.
PhilosoPhil

Con

PhilosoPhil forfeited this round.
LaL36

Pro

Wow. Directly challenges and forfeits.
PhilosoPhil

Con

PhilosoPhil forfeited this round.
LaL36

Pro

LaL36 forfeited this round.
PhilosoPhil

Con

PhilosoPhil forfeited this round.
LaL36

Pro

LaL36 forfeited this round.
PhilosoPhil

Con

PhilosoPhil forfeited this round.
LaL36

Pro

LaL36 forfeited this round.
Posted by hyerinmsc2014 3 years ago
hyerinmsc2014
I think the uniform does limit the students' right to express themselves. However as a student go to the school that requires the uniform, I found uniform is very convenience. you do not have to worry every morning which outfits should wear and do not have to buy a new outfits once in a while. And also i believe that some sorts of dress code is needed in school property. I think the student should not wear the overly seductive clothes to school, because it will cause the distraction.
Vote Placed by KingDebater 2 years ago
KingDebater
PhilosoPhilLaL36Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited less