benjaminimuffin
AimeeGleek17

School Uniforms

benjaminimuffin

Con

Today, I will be arguing AGAINST the implementation of school uniforms.

That means my opponent must SUPPORT school uniforms, in one way or another.

In Round One, I expect my opponent to say "I accept the debate," and wait for me to make the opening argument in Round Two.

That is all!
AimeeGleek17

Pro

I accept the debate
benjaminimuffin

Con

benjaminimuffin forfeited this round.
AimeeGleek17

Pro

we should keep because people can tell what school we are from by the logo
and we look neat,tidy and smart.
http://www.birchfld.bham.sch.uk...
Everyone looks the same and there is no pressure to dress a certain way, parents are under less financial pressure to keep buying the latest fashion for their kids, it saves time in the morning as you don't have to think on what you have to wear. It also sends out a signal on the standards of the school when pupils are seen in their uniform in public.
benjaminimuffin

Con

I believe freedom of expression is important. A mandatory dress code encourages conformity. Is that the message we want to send our children? That individuality is dangerous?

Yes, it saves time. But think of the major implications behind a uniform. Children are already made to think alike. Now we're making them dress alike? In this mass-culture we live in, an independent spirit is crucial. Students must NOT follow the crowd. They MUST think, act, and dress for themselves.

Take it from me. My school requires a uniform.
AimeeGleek17

Pro

" freedom of expression is important" Yes it is important, however there are plenty of ways this can be achieved while still wearing a uniform. It also prevents bullying or getting distracted by what everyone is wearing. What if someone causes offense to another person through the way they dress?
"A mandatory dress code encourages conformity. Is that the message we want to send our children? That individuality is dangerous?" Its not conformity that is being encouraged it is that in school it doesn't matter if you cant afford top shop or shop at Asda or even get clothes in car boot sales its about learning and being part of a community not just social classes.

"But think of the major implications behind a uniform. Children are already made to think alike. Now we're making them dress alike?"- Children are not made to think alike they are encouraged to be imaginative.
"Students must NOT follow the crowd. They MUST think, act, and dress for themselves."- Students are not following the crowd if they are being made to wear the same if anything it stops them people would see a t-shirt a girl is wearing and want to have it so everyone copies each other.

My school also required a uniform.
benjaminimuffin

Con

benjaminimuffin forfeited this round.
AimeeGleek17

Pro

AimeeGleek17 forfeited this round.
Posted by brittnioneida 2 years ago
brittnioneida
school uniforms lack color and excitement. they prevent students from expressing themself by locking them in a dull gray black ugly uniform that everyone else wears. uniforms prevent inappropiate clothing yes but they restrict students from their personality. putting kids in uniforms is like keeping them in a prison of sorts, they cant express themselves in the way they would like to. Uniforms have benifits yes but they arent acceptable to others.