questionmark
stew95

School Uniforms

questionmark

questionmark

Con

Ok, the title is pretty self-explanatory, this debate is whether or not school uniforms should be required nationwide. I am taking the con position, and my opponent has the objective of proving that school uniforms would be helpful to the nation in elementary and high schools. I will let my opponent have the first round. Good luck, and thank you for accepting this debate.
stew95

Pro

Well i think that for a start if there was a evacuation then you can tell who is at the school, and who is not.
Also with what is going on in the world then if you were to go to school without a uniform then anyone could easily walk in a do anything!
I mean people don't want to wear uniform because they have to, i mean it would also cause alot of groups/gangs because you could tell who is gothic, neddy, ect...
questionmark

Con

First of all, thank you stew95 for accepting my debate.

You said, "if you were to go to school without a uniform then anyone could easily walk in a do anything!" However, I disagree with the exclusiveness of this applying to only schools without unifroms. Anyone with enough money for a school uniform could go buy one, then walk in. The same thing happens in Boy Scouts. Last summer, when we went to Scout Camp, they made us check in for wristbands, as well as wear the uniform, so they knew A) we were scouts, and B) we had checked into a campsite that was reserved. So obviously, the unifrom doesn't actually prove you are a student. A student I.D. would be more effective.

For your second argument, "i mean it would also cause alot of groups/gangs because you could tell who is gothic, neddy, ect..." I believe you meant that it would NOT cause the gangs/groups you mentioned. i disagree, for the following reason: if you want to do something, and you are prohibited, will you not try to find a loophole to try and get around that hole? If a gang wants to make itself seperate, they will give themself a different marker than baggy jeans, like bracelets, necklaces, rings, etc.

A point I would like to bring up is that of actual education. You may not think that a school uniform can interfere with an education, but consider this: in America,there are an average of 180 school days a year (according to http://ask.yahoo.com...), if you spend even only 20 minutes inspecting a class of thirty students to make sure their uniforms are all being worn correctly, assuming it takes about forty seconds per student, then you have wasted, on average, 2 hours per class the students are inspected in. Now some schools may only do the aforementioned inspection during the first class. Others may do it for all eight periods, adding up to 16 hours. People already complain that education money is being wasted, what will they say when so much time is being wasted on inspection. It doesn't contribute to your education in the slightest.

I await my opponents next argument.
stew95

Pro

As i said people don't want to wear uniform because they have to wear it. If they were allowed to wear what they want then they would soon get bored of it.
Also you should be proud of the school you attend and should be willing to wear part of the uniform so as people know which school you go to and that you are proud to.
questionmark

Con

I thank my opponent for replying to my debate.
My opponent states that, "people don't want to wear uniform because they have to wear it. If they were allowed to wear what they want then they would soon get bored of it." Look at almost any school where people are not forced to wear a uniform. Do they wear uniforms? No. Do you know why? Because they don't like uniforms, whether they are enforced, or not. If you bring up the point of JROTC, they only wear it once a week, which is different from a full time uniform.

My opponent then states, "you should be proud of the school you attend and should be willing to wear part of the uniform so as people know which school you go to and that you are proud to. " I am not proud of my school. Not at all. Why should I be forced to wear the uniform? The only reason I don't trandsfer to a different one is because of certain classes only offered at this high school in my area. If you want to wear you school colors of red and gold (or whatever they may be) then go right ahead. I have no problem with that. That is your CHOICE. However, when it becomes a mandate, not a choice, then I have a problem with that, as it takes away my right to expression of self. Also, if people know what school you go to, and they hate all members of that school, because they got beaten by them in a sports game or something, you could get beaten up for wearing that uniform.

I await my opponents next argument.
stew95

Pro

stew95 forfeited this round.
questionmark

Con

My opponent has forfeited their turn, and I await their next argument.
stew95

Pro

stew95 forfeited this round.
questionmark

Con

My opponent has again failed to rebutt my argument, and I take this as a sign of forfeit.
stew95

Pro

stew95 forfeited this round.
Posted by RoyLatham 7 years ago
RoyLatham
The solution is comfy uniforms. Any nation that can put a man on the moon can make a comfy uniform. Attitude reinforcement can only be achieved with a uniform, but it need not be poorly designed.

It is not well known, but the Imperial Troopers in Star Wars actually had a comfy summer uniform. It featured a red Hawaiian shirt with a white hibiscus pattern, and tan chinos. It never appeared in the movies because they were set in winter.
Posted by questionmark 7 years ago
questionmark
lol on the vader thing, but i see your point. however, thats why we have a dress code. a dress code is necessary, but not a uniform. i can tell you, as a member of JROTC, that in uniform, you arent thinking about school when you think about the uniform. youre thinking about how the uniform is uncomfortable, or how it gives you a wedgie.
Posted by RoyLatham 7 years ago
RoyLatham
Q, It's pretty obvious that attitude has a lot to do with grades. If the student is in "student mode" then the student will be more attentive to learning and less distracted by socializing. Judicial robes put the guy in the black dress into "judicial mode" in which he focuses narrowly on carrying out the law. No one would trust a judge in sweats and a baseball cap.

I do indeed advocate the Darth Vader costume principle. Just think how much easier it would be if everyone dressed like Darth Vader when they were in a really, really bad mood. "Stay away from Fred, he's got the helmet on today."
Posted by Justinisthecrazy 7 years ago
Justinisthecrazy
foolish way of debating I don't like this debate.
Posted by questionmark 7 years ago
questionmark
We don't need to be reinforcing attitude, we need to be reinforcing grades, and funding. And are you saying we should all follow Darth Vader? lol
Posted by RoyLatham 7 years ago
RoyLatham
I think the main argument in favor of school uniforms is the "Argument from Judicial Robes." The idea is that costume reinforces attitude. This works for judges, policemen, soldiers, and many others where the person must focus on a certain way of thinking. Students need to focus on being students. Hey, the concept worked for Darth Vader.

Long-winded blog post: http://factspluslogic.com...
Posted by questionmark 7 years ago
questionmark
Im thinking more for the best interest of students though, otherwise i would have
Posted by dragonfire1414 7 years ago
dragonfire1414
If you change the resolution to be in the "best interest of the school boards" I may accept.
Posted by Seeker 7 years ago
Seeker
I'd take it, but years of high school uniforms would leave me feeling rotten if i took the pro position.
Posted by s0m31john 7 years ago
s0m31john
Hmmm. I should take this, but you guys know where I would go with it.
Vote Placed by questionmark 7 years ago
questionmark
questionmarkstew95Tied
Vote Placed by wpfairbanks 7 years ago
wpfairbanks
questionmarkstew95Tied
Vote Placed by Lazy 7 years ago
Lazy
questionmarkstew95Tied