Makenna.Elias34
MasterDb8

School Uniforms

Makenna.Elias34

Makenna.Elias34

Pro

I believe school uniforms should be enforced upon all schools. They will help students focus more on school, they will lower crime and bullying, they will give a sense of unity to the school, they save class time, they can save money, increase attendance and can improve punctuality, save money for parents, and help students get to know each other better based on their personality more than their appearance.
MasterDb8

Con

I think that schools should not enforce uniforms. For the first major years of my life i was forced to go to a private school. They forced us to wear a uniform. The uniform wasn't the worst part, it was only a blue, or red polo shirt, and khaki pants. The only bad part was what they were restricting us from. Sure they eliminated some forms of bullying, but that happens anyway. Clothes have no part with that. They wouldn't let us express our own opinions. We needed the room to show other people the way we felt. With uniforms we had no differences between us. That was simply visually though. Now this opened up new ways for other students to bully us. They now targeted the "intellectually inferior students" This was not helping. The teachers wouldn't help us because they thought we were just having fun because no one ever hit one another. These so called "helpful" uniforms didn't help any of us. Instead it brought in more ways for the other students to verbally, and emotionally bully me.
Makenna.Elias34

Pro

I'm sorry that you were bullied, and I understand that bullies may look for different ways to target people when they don't have appearance to pick on. But I know this is a terrible thing to say, but bullying is inevitable, all we can try to do is limit the sunjects of bullying. I am bullied in school because of my clothing and because of who I am. And if our school would enforce school uniforms, I kknow that it wouldn't only be me who would benefit from bullies stopping from making fun of our clothing. And yes, these 'helpful' uniforms are helpful, again I'm sorry you were bullied, but you can't ignore all of the other positive sides of school uniforms becuase you were bullied. And you said "clothes have no part with that" when refering to bullying, but I disagree. I along with many other people at my school are bullied because of our clothing. Clothing most definitely does have to do with the topics bullies pick to target people. I also believe that clothing is not the way to show other people how you feel. Other people should know how you feel becuase you chose to vocalize your opinions.
MasterDb8

Con

Thanks for the apology, what whats done is done. I still firmly believe that school uniforms should be banned. For one of my points I think that they are detrimental to adult development. How we express ourselves through our clothing helps us define ourselves. Wearing the same clothes every single day takes huge toll on our transition into adulthood.
Wearing a uniform also is a big factor in youth depression. Imaging being a teen girl, staring into the school bathroom mirrors with tears in her eyes because a couple of the "popular girls" were just making fun of her.
Uniforms main purpose is to make everyone look homogeneous (the same) but in fact they do the exact opposite. When everyones wearing the same thing you would image they all look the same. Thats totally wrong. Everyone has different body types, weights and heights. After a recent study I have discovered that almost every girl that wears a school uniform is often embarrassed to go to school wearing those clothes. Also most people think that uniforms try to desexualize youth, It does the exact the opposite. When those students come home they feel ugly. They're looking for someone to think that they look attractive, it drives them to wear less and less clothing every day.
Makenna.Elias34

Pro

Before I continue with this argument, I would like to say that I am immensely enjoying this argument. It's not often that people truly challenge me, I appreciate your response and am looking forward to the rest of this debate. You said that "how we express ourselves through our clothing helps us define ourselves" though I agree, clothing does help show who you are, it also puts on the perfect exterior that makes people going into the relationship already think they know who you are. But I don't think people always dress based on their personality. Lets say, hypothetically, there's a girl who is very down to earth and is almost your stereotypical 'hippy', except her clothes. Maybe she wears leather tube skirts and black crop tops, with studded combat boots and ripped tights, people aren't going to look at her and think "oh wow, that girl is probably a hippy and has the same philosophy as me and listens to the same music" Her appearance doesn't match the stereotype of her personality. People who are your typical "nerd" don't wear robes, or carry around staffs and wands, or always are wearing a cloak instead of a normal jacket, they probably wear jeans and a t-shirt. I don't think clothing always helps us define who we are, and I think we should get away from having to physically show who we are on the exterior when its what's on the inside that matters. I understand that some girls may feel insecure about uniforms, which is why if uniforms are enforced, do it right. I believe schools should give students the options between slacks, skirts, or dresses. And to your last point, it is valid and a strong point, but I think that uniforms will help with that. They aren't going to be wearing less and less everyday because they're wearing school uniforms. And if they dress 'slutty' outside school, then that's about them and who they are. They can express themselves that way if they want, but I just want them to keep it out of the education system.
MasterDb8

Con

MasterDb8 forfeited this round.
Makenna.Elias34

Pro

I hope that my partner returns for this round, I will not further continue my argument until the opponent has responded. I've enjoyed this argument and hope it can continue
MasterDb8

Con

MasterDb8 forfeited this round.
Makenna.Elias34

Pro

I'm very disappointed in the fact that I don't think my partner is going to continue this argument. But hey, I'll give it a shot, I really hope my opponent returns at least for the last round. I will not change my argument.
MasterDb8

Con

MasterDb8 forfeited this round.
Posted by Themeaman909 1 year ago
Themeaman909
I actually have been bullied by some people before for what I wore. In 6th grade, I wore Velcro shoes. I remember two kids telling me "Hey! Why are you wearing your little brothers shoes? Where you to scared to tie your own!" Clothing is something I was bullied about, and I saw other people victimized of this exploitation that insecure and negative students took towards them. People would always ask why I wore decent clothing to school, and I gave them no reason. It was not how I expressed myself, but how I projected an image to seem professional, and I cared more about learning than talking to friends. People told me "Why do you dress like an old man? Why not just wear what we wear?"
I was greatly offended by this, and that was the day I realized that such a diverse clothing choice can be negative towards peoples self esteem. This has become worse today, as in people wear slinky clothing, and think it is normal or "hip" to do so. I believe it will decrease intellect people, and children will become more judgmental. Remember, its the inside that counts, not how pretty you are on the outside. This was and still is my set of mind.
Posted by Themeaman909 1 year ago
Themeaman909
I understand that they will be harmful to expression of the students, but from my experience of going to a non-uniform public school,most of the extreme self expressionist are harming there self esteem by wearing inappropriate and sexually orientated clothing. I don't think uniforms are entirely necessary, because the personal anecdote was very convincing, but at least a stricter dress code is needed so our younger generation doesn't become oversexualized.
Posted by koloman84 1 year ago
koloman84
So far (Round 1) I think MasterDb8 is winning.
Vote Placed by Themeaman909 11 months ago
Themeaman909
Makenna.Elias34MasterDb8Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro was very polite and con forfeited. Con did not use very strong arguments, and they seemed to ramble, or maybe that's just me.
Vote Placed by lannan13 11 months ago
lannan13
Makenna.Elias34MasterDb8Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 11 months ago
Midnight1131
Makenna.Elias34MasterDb8Tied