iKaleb
Felicity

School Uniforms

Con Tied Pro

iKaleb

Con

This topic is what got me interested in debating; my school chose me to be the fifth grade debater, and I was chosen to be on the against side. I cannot say I can argue this very well, sense I have not touched this topic after fifth grade.
I believe that school uniforms are unnecessary. First, go to any school, and ask the students for their opinion on school. You'll get a lot of "I don't like it."
Then ask them how their opinion would change if the school started using school uniforms. The students will most likely respond negatively. My source for this, though not reliable, is that I've done it.
The next reason is that school uniforms often limit who can go to schools[1]. School uniforms can be costly,(I'm not saying these weird fashion trends aren't, either) and the fees of joining a school AND buying uniforms for EVERY day can be overwhelming for poorer families, and families who cannot afford all this cannot go to the school, while middle class and above can go just the same.
Another common belief is that school uniforms will stop students from judging each other by how they look[2]. This is not true, as no matter how you limit students' looks, even if a country goes as far as segregation, students will always find a way that their peers are different and will always judge them this way.
As my final argument for now, dressing students in fancy clothes does not make them more dedicated to school[3]. Clothes have very little relation to academics: I know of several child prodigies(not on source) that are terrible dressers.

[1] http://education.newarchaeology.com...
[2] http://www.angelfire.com...
[3] http://www.articlesbase.com...
Felicity

Pro

First, I would like to thank my opponent for instigating this debate.

For my opponent's first point, I would like to ask for clarification as I am afraid that I do not entirely understand it. While I agree that the majority of students, when prompted, would respond that they don't like school, I do not see how that is relevant to the argument. If anything, it serves to highlight the fact that children do not always know what is best for them. If they cannot even see the benefits of a good education, how can they be expected to accurately assess the benefits of a uniform?

For my opponent's second point, I would also like to ask for clarification. I made the assumption that we were discussing public schools but your mentioning of school fees seems more like a private school argument. To be on the safe side, I will address both. When it comes to private schools, if a family cannot accept the terms and conditions of the school, including costs and uniforms, it can easily have its children attend a public school. Private school is a privilege, not a right, which already restricts applicants to those who can pay the price.

In regards to public school, there are programs akin to free or reduced lunch and textbook programs that can provide for additional requirements like uniforms. "Most of the schools receiving federal money for low-income students also have clothes closets." [1] These federally funded closets are what allow for every student regardless of financial situation to have what is required for the optimal learning environment. Even for those that do not receive aid from the school system, uniforms can be an affordable alternative to the outlandish prices that one might pay for a single pair of jeans. Tulsa school systems report that a whole uniform costs about $15, and places where uniforms are more prominent are running lower prices still. In the UK, a basic school uniform can be found for as little as �5, approximately $8 US currency [2].

For my opponent's third argument I am a bit confused as to how segregation is a form of limiting students' looks. I was under the impression that segregation was a way to amplify the differences in appearance between groups of people, not reduce them. And while I agree that students will always find a way to make fun of each other, school uniforms give them fewer ways to do so. Two of the main reasons that children are bullied are because of appearance and social status [3]. With school uniforms, students will be relatively unable to tell who is wealthy and who is poor, effectively cutting back on that type of bullying unless the students themselves wish to disclose their financial statuses.

For my opponent's fourth argument, while dressing children up in "fancy" clothes may not make them directly more dedicated to school, it may work in an indirect way. When children see their parents dress appropriately for work, and then dress similarly themselves, they tend to feel more mature and business-like. In the same way, when they are dressed the same as other children it would serve to reason that they feel more united. Instead of the "us" and "them" as preps and jocks it would be more of an "us" and "them" as our school and their school.

Thank you for this debate and I look forward to your response. My sources are as follows:

[1] http://www.newson6.com...
[2] http://www.bbc.co.uk...
[3] http://kidshealth.org...
iKaleb

Con

iKaleb forfeited this round.
Felicity

Pro

Unfortunately, it seems that my opponent has become inactive. I hope that he will still make an appearance in the third round. My rebuttle still stands strong.
iKaleb

Con

iKaleb forfeited this round.
Felicity

Pro

It's a shame that this debate was never finished but I'm glad that I was able to bring up some valid points. Thank you for viewing and remember to vote pro!
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
iKalebFelicityTied
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
iKalebFelicityTied