tippingcows
slaytheday72

School Uniforms

tippingcows

Pro

School uniforms are the logical answer to school dress code complaints and help prevent bullying based on clothes
slaytheday72

Con

I disagree. Bullying will happen no matter what, if we try to eliminate bullying based on clothes, it will turn toward the bullying of the bodies within the clothes. I think people should be able to express themselves freely without a restraining dress code.
tippingcows

Pro

I think that people make first impressions based on clothing and the way you represent yourself. If a guest, comes to your school or you take a field trip, you're representing your school with nicely dressed/respectable looking people. School is supposed to prepare you for the work force, which has dress requirments and won't conform just for you.
slaytheday72

Con

I don't think school should be treated the way you would a job. This is a crucial time for young people to develop their sense of selves. While I do agree you should present yourself professionally in a work environment, not all jobs adhere to such strict dress codes, I don't think school should be one of the places that does. & as for conforming just to you, most schools do have a dress code barring showing of midriff, shoulders, and thighs. As long as you're covered, I think you should be allowed to wear casual things, like jeans & t-shirts
tippingcows

Pro

Kids should be allowed to express themselves but most take advantage of it. if we had uniforms, you would have less of a struggle to find cute clothes that fit in the dress code.
slaytheday72

Con

If they take advantage of self expression, they are punished for it or sent home. I think you would struggle just as much finding clothes. Also who says khakis & polos are cute? I would personally hate to have to wear skirts or khakis to school everyday.
tippingcows

Pro

i think dress codes are sort of sexist and if you get rid of casual clothes, you eliminate the need to discipline. less kids would be sent home and prevent their education
slaytheday72

Con

I agree that school dress codes are sexist, including codes where your clothes are already planned out. Would kids get sent home if they didn't conform to the code? Because that would also mean getting sent home.
Posted by ValosaBirdy 10 months ago
ValosaBirdy
Convincing arguments and conduct to Con:
RFD: Con was very respectful in his arguments and handled his side well. I read his side as calmer and more focused. It seemed like pro was doing more reacting than leading. Con was taking the course of the debate.