tennisuser
liberal_moron

School Uniforms

liberal_moron
Started: 2/28/2017 Category: Fashion

tennisuser

Con

It is shown that students do not have expression when they are required to wear school uniforms. Uniforms should not be required at any type of school.
liberal_moron

Pro

Yes, they should. Schools that include school uniforms had a 51% less fighting rate, possibly because they didnt have anything to steal. School uniforms also keep kids focused on their education not their clothes. They also level a playing field so people dont think one person is cooler than another just because of what clothes they are wearing, they will think ones cooler than another because of their personality which is how it should be in the first place. They also prevent people from having gang sings on clothing. Also uniforms increase school unity and school spirit,
tennisuser

Con

I would like to thank Liberal_moron for accepting this debate.

(1) By having school uniforms, you restrict freedom of expression by students. This can closely be related to the case of Tinker vs. Des Moines as they were restricted to what they could wear such as an arm band. By limiting students to a uniform, kids aren't able to freely express their selves. "compelled conformity to conventional standards of appearance" does not "seem a justifiable part of the educational process."

(2) By using a school uniform, it is promoted that a student has to conform to society and not individuality. It is shown to be a contradictory method when school uniforms are put into place as it contradicts the lesson that is suppose to be taught. Students learn everyday about history and how people were able to freely express their selves. By setting a standard of a school uniform, it reverses the process and starts an upbringing that students are no longer free.

(3) By statistics, it is shown that violence and bullying did not reduce in numbers but actually increased. "A 2007 peer-reviewed study found that "school uniforms increased the average number of assaults by about 14 [per year] in the most violent schools." More assault and bullying cases seem to occur when school uniforms are brought into standard. While kids can try to think that they will be victim less inside their school, there is still the worry that kids from other schools that don't have uniforms may target them.

(4) My last point I would like to argue is that school uniforms can have a detrimental effect on a student's self image. By allowing school uniforms, more students are prone to embarrassment by not only their peers but even by adults. By giving students a specific uniform, it allows them to be targeted at their insecurities. Having a school uniforms shows that the learning experience is more disrupted than without having a uniform.
liberal_moron

Pro

-First off, Des Moines won the case? And students are still plenty able to freely express themselves, by, hey I dontknow? TALKING!
- Individuality should be shown by someones personality not what clothes they wear.
- In Long Beach, CA, after two years of a district-wide K-8 mandatory uniform policy, reports of assault and battery in the district's schools decreased by 34%, assault with a deadly weapon dropped by 50%, fighting incidents went down by 51%, sex offenses were cut by 74%, robbery dropped by 65%, possession of weapons (or weapon "look-alikes") decreased by 52%, possession of drugs went down by 69%, and vandalism was lowered by 18%. - http://school-uniforms.procon.org...
-Students are way more prone to embarassment without school uniforms as a highschooler myself I know a multitude of kids who were made fun of for not wearing the trending brands (Nike, Vans, Pink etc) and school uniforms will decrease that to a minimum.
tennisuser

Con

To get started, I can agree to some of a extent with you that some violence does drop but that is still not weight to what cons having school uniforms have.

To begin with this third round, I would like to bring up the point of embarrassment. As I am as well a high school student, by having school uniforms, my other peers would not be not only able to express their selves but also they would be vulnerable to attacks by other students not only inside our school but outside. By choosing to have a school uniform, kids would learn to pick on each other by calling out their insecurities. This would cause a rippling effect not only inside of the school but inside the school district. Many kids would not be able to focus on their school work while trying to figure out who and when will they get attacked next.

(2) I would like to bring up the point of cost. School uniforms are not as cheap as you think, as each kid has to have at least 2 pairs which would cause the school district to order more. It is shown by statistics that a single school uniform can cost in the upward range of 150 dollars. " http://www.classroomuniforms.com... " Having these type of cost would deter parents from wanting their kids to attend that school. Not only would cost of the school uniform come into factor but also that once the student is outside of school, more clothes would need to be bought so that the child has clothes besides their uniform.

(3) My third and final point I would like to bring up is that the fact that children do not like school uniforms at all. Kids would happily love to wear their own clothes instead of wearing something that could look hideous. My peers as I have asked all have said that having school uniforms would cause disruption and would cause chaos that would extent all the way into near school districts. Kids and teens always want to express their selves and by giving them uniforms, you trap them into a world they do not want to live.

In conclusion, by giving kids and teens school uniforms, their freedom and expressions are limited. Kids need to be able to freely express their selves without having to worry what the next person will think of them. In overall, having uniforms would cause chaos to occur and would drive up the cost that students and parents don't want to pay.
liberal_moron

Pro

-Economic Equality, if a kid is wearing lets say, 200 dollar Nikes, then another kid is wearing some 10 dollar Walmart shoes, that will deter the less privileged kid as he will not be focusing on school work but on the kids shoes.
- The cost is worth it.
- There are many more ways to express ones self,f art, your talking, ways more important than dress.
- You are talking about having to worry what the next person will think of them? Don't you think someone will have to worry, way more about that if they are wearing some loser shoes or shirt!?
Posted by paintballvet18 1 year ago
paintballvet18
I'm sorry. Please flip that.

Con has the first part of the RFD, therefore, I vote PRO 3-0.
Posted by paintballvet18 1 year ago
paintballvet18
RFD-

No points for anything but args

So... to the args.

Pro contends that uniforms restrict freedom of expression, force students to conform to society and that uniforms increase bullying.

However, as a judge, I cannot buy a single one of these arguments, because they are not uniquely causes by uniforms. The Pro misinterprets the ruling in Tinker, therefore I disregard 1st contention. Conforming to society is done in MANY more ways than just possibly in uniforms, therefore I disregard 2nd contention. Increases in bullying happen for more reasons than just uniforms. Anyone that's ever been in public education knows that, therefore I disregard 3rd contention.

The only offense in the debate comes from the Con's statistics in Cal k-9 schools where uniforms decreased structural violence.

Therefore, I have to vote Con, 3-0.

Thank you for debating.
Vote Placed by paintballvet18 1 year ago
paintballvet18
tennisuserliberal_moronTied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD in comments. Con has no offense, therefore Pro wins arguments.