atoy120
TheCommonMan

School should be eliminated.

TheCommonMan

atoy120

Pro

1st round is acceptance.
TheCommonMan

Con

I accepted this in a heartbeat. I'm ready for your first round argument.
atoy120

Pro

School should be eliminated because 90% of the stuff you "learn" in it you will never be used in real life. They did not teach me how to use a computer, I and pretty much everyone else did. That makes computer class useless. Considering that the government doesn't know how to launch a website and how to run itself, they should have no right to force us to go there to become idiots like them. The school system will never be fixed. 99% of people will never use math beyond precalc, only some sort of engineer will. Only authors need to do the stupid writing crap they make us do. Being able to write an expository will get you nowhere in life. Chemical equations are useless. Only a chemist or a scientist will use them. They are relatively easy to learn, but still a waste of time. The only reason school is still around is because the administrators make money off making kids miserable. People are forced to socialize with people they hate. Then there is this anti-bullying, zero tolerance crap. This might be a bit off topic. Not everyone will get along with everyone. But the brain washed government idiots don't realize that.
TheCommonMan

Con

Resolution: School should be eliminated.

I am con, so I must show why school shouldn’t be eliminated.

School: Any institution at which instruction is given in a particular discipline.
Should: Used to indicate obligation, duty, or correctness, typically when criticizing someone's actions.
Eliminated: completely remove or get rid of (something).

Therefore, I am arguing that any and all institutions where instruction is given should not be completely removed. Here is my opening argument.

Argument Number One:

Education is necessary for society as a whole. There are many careers that are necessary for the development and continuation of our world. These careers require education. For example:

1. Medical doctors are necessary to help and heal the ill and diseased, thus helping people survive.
2. Engineers are necessary to design and develop many things that are key for survival, as well as things that are key for success on earth (ex. Housing, productive food producing methods, electronics, etc.)
3. Politicians are necessary to run nations and help that nation coexist with other nations.

I have listed three key careers that are necessary for the development and continuation of society. All of these three careers require some form of education. Let’s look at the required education for these careers.

Medical Doctor:

Time Required: About 11-15 Years

Engineer:

Earn a bachelor's degree in engineering from a school accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET)

Politicians:

…You will definitely need some formal education…
Most politicians have degrees in law, economics, or business.
A postgraduate degree obtained later will be held in high regard.

Now, I’ve already established that that education is necessary for all of these careers. So, taking away schools and education as a whole would have harmful effects on these three important careers. These three careers require years of training to develop the knowledge of how to do well. However, eliminating school would prevent people from being able to learn how to do well in these career fields. Imagine a world where there are no doctors to perform surgery, or to heal the ill. Imagine that there are no engineers in this world, and therefore, there wouldn’t be any sufficiently built buildings. Imagine that there are no people qualified to run a country, and everyone is doing anything they want to with no consequences. It would be mass chaos. All of it would happen if there weren’t any schools, which is why schooling is important.

Argument Number Two:

Education can help society and the world learn from the mistakes made by people that were around in past generations. For example; take the holocaust, the crusades, even the 9/11 bombings. These are terrible events that resulted in the loss of many lives. However, we can look at what caused these events and what happened leading up to these events by passing this information on to future generations through schools. That way, our future generations will know what/what not to do to prevent events like these from occurring.

Now, suppose there weren’t any schools anywhere. We would never learn from our mistakes. Most people would not know what the crusades are, or what caused the holocaust. If future generations wouldn’t know the causes of past tragedies, then they wouldn’t know how to prevent them. Therefore, it is probable that events like the aforementioned events could occur numerous times. To prevent another holocaust or another deadly war on religion, we must pass the information of our past on to future generations. The only way to do that is through future education. Therefore, schools are necessary.

In conclusion:

I have given two sufficient arguments as to why education is necessary. Therefore, schools should not be eliminated. I would’ve added more arguments, but the character limit is preventing me from doing so. If there is any room in my 3rd round argument after I respond to my opponent’s claims, then I will add more arguments. I await my opponent’s response.
atoy120

Pro

atoy120 forfeited this round.
TheCommonMan

Con

I’m going to keep my last argument short, because I don’t feel like there’s a need to go into a large amount of detail. My opponent has forfeited round 3, and his round 2 doesn’t have many claims that support his argument. However, he did make some claims that need to be addressed. I will address his only claims he made in round 2 that support his argument.

Argument Number One:

Here are some claims my opponent made in round 2.

“99% of people will never use math beyond precalc, only some sort of engineer will.”
“Only authors need to do the stupid writing crap they make us do.”
“Chemical equations are useless. Only a chemist or a scientist will use them.”

I’ve already went over the importance of an engineer, so I won’t go down that road again. Authors are important so they can write books that help us learn. When authors write books, that knowledge is passed on to many people, who then benefit from that knowledge. So, authors help society too. Chemists do things like manage our food, or perhaps use chemistry to analyze forensics. Of course they’re important.

So here’s the thing. My opponent listed three careers, and attempted to state that classes taught in school are only important for people going down that career path. This is not true. Everyone from each of these career paths positively contribute to the furthering of knowledge and the continuation of our world. Therefore, people in these career fields help us all by simply working in their respective career fields.

Of course, these career fields wouldn’t exist if it weren’t for school and education. Like my opponent said, engineers need knowledge of math past pre-calculus, authors need writing instruction, and chemists need to know chemical equations. Therefore, it is important that we have school. That way, we will be able to continue to have people enter these career fields after they gain an education.

“The only reason school is still around is because the administrators make money off making kids miserable. “

This is simply not true. I have already established that education is necessary for the continuation and development of our world as a whole. So, the administration plays a key role in our world. Whether it is teachers, principals, guidance counselors, or just general staff members, they all play a key role in making progress in the world in general.

Besides, keeping schools around allows people to become employed at schools. Therefore, there’s more employment. Economically, this is a good thing. Not only are more people working, but more money will be poured into the economy because more people will have money to spend.

Conclusion:

I responded to everything my opponent said that was important to respond to (everything else was just “filler”). I also posted an argument in round 2 which was not responded to. Hence, there’s not anything that my opponent said that I have not shown to be false, nor is there anything that he said that is stronger than my argument. I would like to thank my opponent and everyone who is reading this.
Posted by legodude123 3 years ago
legodude123
You dont need colledge to get a job there are trade jobs but I hate school but it should still stay
Posted by TheCommonMan 3 years ago
TheCommonMan
@Wylted

Yes, I agree with you that you can educate yourself. Also, I think that you don't need a college education to be successful, considering that real intelligence isn't about what kind of degree you have. However, society as a whole needs an education system for the reasons I have provided in my arguments. Therefore, school is necessary and shouldn't be eliminated.
Posted by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
We don't need school. Really what can school teach me that I can't learn by reading a bunch of scholarly research on the internet and at libraries.
Posted by legodude123 3 years ago
legodude123
no school = riots and no job
Posted by legodude123 3 years ago
legodude123
cons side
Posted by shreeji 3 years ago
shreeji
Who the hell are you to Eliminate the school we lear more from the school
Mr... PRO aren't you MAD
You We every children study to gain Education
Do you no mr.. PRO that in INDIA there a cobbler's daughter is an IPS Officer
and she studied
who are you to elliminate the school
Posted by Roxainne 3 years ago
Roxainne
Okay well first off, "pro" you are totally WRONG. In other words, I disagree with you because if it weren't for school, then we wouldnt be communicating and we wouldnt have laptops and we wouldnt even know how to use our body parts. [PUNCHLINE] school is needed because we'de be dumb without it
Posted by InfiniteBears 3 years ago
InfiniteBears
pro is getting destroyed, I'm looking forward to pros forfeit.
Posted by debate339 3 years ago
debate339
I disagree with you to an extent pro, school should be a safer place yes, some things are stupid yes, but i believe we should have the choice to go or not not our parents or government
Posted by morningowl200 3 years ago
morningowl200
But what if someone wants to be a doctor, lawyer, writer or mathematician? What happens to learning for the sake of learning? I love school, and plan to continue my education as long as possible. I don't think I'll ever satisfy my desire for more knowledge. Without school, I, and many people like me, would probably go insane.
Vote Placed by morningowl200 3 years ago
morningowl200
atoy120TheCommonManTied
Reasons for voting decision: school is good
Vote Placed by Tophatdoc 3 years ago
Tophatdoc
atoy120TheCommonManTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con provided a valid argument for why schools shouldn't be eliminated. Pro yielded in replying to Con's arguments. Pro forfeited a round so conduct point to Con. Source point to Con for providing the links to back his arguments. Good luck to you both in future debates.
Vote Placed by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
atoy120TheCommonManTied
Reasons for voting decision: I was hoping pro would point out that the most highly educated people are self learners who don't require formal education to gain their knowledge. Con gets all his points based on forfeit and well thought out arguments.