atoy120
donald.keller

School should be eliminated

donald.keller

atoy120

Pro

School should be shut down.
donald.keller

Con

I accept. Bring forth your case.
atoy120

Pro

I think school should be eliminated because it's outdated. The reason In my opinion that America is doing worse in school than other countries because it's not fit for this generation. I've learned more in five minutes of video games than being locked in a school for 6 hours. And they makes us learn stuff like calculus, algebra, writing 5000000000000 page essays, and so on. Seriously, when would I ever need that stuff. I don't want to be an engineer or a writer. Some studies show that people learn from video games. http://www.bbc.com...
donald.keller

Con

Rebuttal: think school should be eliminated because it's outdated. The reason In my opinion that America is doing worse in school than other countries because it's not fit for this generation.

The US isn't doing worse. It's among the top in the National stage. The reason why schools in places like Asia score higher isn't because they actually score higher. Asian schools segregate which school you go to by intelligence. This removes people with low grades from the group that is getting tested.

The US tests all of it's students together, including less than intelligent people, this makes the overall score appear lower.

The Pro seems to believe School is outdated. I ask how that can be? Education is a proponent to the advancement of society, it can't be outdated by society. This is because as society progresses and becomes more intelligent, education because more important in upholding that intelligence.

: I've learned more in five minutes of video games than being locked in a school for 6 hours.

Really now?

: And they makes us learn stuff like calculus, algebra, writing 5000000000000 page essays, and so on.

That's called education. You would be an idiot if you didn't know how to do math, or write. And what about science? If you don't learn these things, than society well crumble. Have you examine the complexity of modern life?

I feel your concern is one of person dislike and opinion.

: Seriously, when would I ever need that stuff.

Most algebra isn't taught to teach math, but advance problem-solving and critical thinking. If you can solve a complex regarding many variables, such as in driving, thank Algebra.

: I don't want to be an engineer or a writer.

This is a black and white perspective. School teach the knowledge of a million jobs. Video Game Designer being one of the many jobs.

: Some studies show that people learn from video games.

Video games didn't teach people because they are video games, but because everything teaches something,

There are many many more studies that show people learn from education as well
atoy120

Pro

Basic math is all people really use except if your an engineer or something like that. I f you were 100 years old, the only time in your life you would need calc or algebra was school. COLLEGE doesn't even guarantee a job. Also, education and school are two VERY different things. Education is important, while school is not. Homework is worthless. Here's an example. Let's say you had a big test coming up and you had to study for it. Then you take the test and its on all the minor details and ace it, only to forget the details later. See my point? School is a waste of time. If I need to know how to fix something, youtube it. If I need to know something, google it. The internet has gotten rid of the need for school.
donald.keller

Con

Rebuttals:
:Basic math is all people really use except if your an engineer or something like that.

Pro has ignored my argument about the importance of Critical Thinking and Problem Solving that advance mathematics provide. I ask Pro how one who wants to become an engineer can do so without learning advance math, or would have even known he wanted to be one? School isn't about giving *you* the chance tobe what you eant, but about giving *everyone* the chance.

:COLLEGE doesn't even guarantee a job.

Nothing does... But school is more likely to get you a job than that attitude regarding hard work and learning.

:Also, education and school are two VERY different things.

This argument is the equilivant of saying driving is important but a car isn't. Or saying playing video games are important but it's not important to own any. Education is important, and school is the greatest known provider of education. I fear you are in need of more education yourself.

:Here's an example. Let's say you had a big test coming up and you had to study for it. Then you take the test and its on all the minor details and ace it, only to forget the details later.

This logic applies to everything, even things you learn in video games. Here's an idea... Repetition and memorization. You don't have to remember everything, but almost everything you do remember you had to learn. You see my point? Every word you know was learned, and have remember the amount you needed to write that reply.

:School is a waste of time. If I need to know how to fix something, youtube it. If I need to know something, google it. The internet has gotten rid of the need for school.

Anyone who takes faith in the reliablity of the internet is better off not using it.
atoy120

Pro

Like I said, I don't WANT to be an engineer, nobody does. And I can learn math by looking it up on the internet instead of sitting in prison.. err school for 6 hours. And the last time I learned something in school was first grade. And school is a TERRIBLE provider of education. They push us WAY too hard to learn stuff that's 3 grade levels or more above, which is ridiculous. They only do that so they make their school look good, so the teachers get paid more. That's all they care about. Most teachers don't even CARE about our education. And google and youtube I found to be more reliable than school.
donald.keller

Con

:Like I said, I don't WANT to be an engineer, nobody does. And I can learn math by looking it up on the internet instead of sitting in prison.. err school for 6 hours.

The assertion that nobody wants to be an engineer is highly inaccurate. Engineer is a popular field, in fact. If you don't want to be an engineer, don't be one... School doesn't teach you how to be an engineer, it teaches you how to be general, which is much more important.

:And the last time I learned something in school was first grade.

Tell me what 2 * 5 is... 10, right? You learned that after first grade. This is a massively gross exaggeration.

:And school is a TERRIBLE provider of education. They push us WAY too hard to learn stuff that's 3 grade levels or more above, which is ridiculous.

This is efficient. You can't live life without that kind of push.. And test score between hill billies and high school students would prove your horrible provider assertion quite false.

I, for one, have learned in school then out of school. The material is appropriate for your age, you simply think it's above you because of you're no-work attitude.

:They only do that so they make their school look good, so the teachers get paid more.

Teacher's are paid by number of years, not test scores. The school gets paid by test scores. That's the point... To encourage them to push you to higher goals and levels.

:That's all they care about. Most teachers don't even CARE about our education.

That's a bullsh!t generalization, and you know it.

:And google and youtube I found to be more reliable than school.

If you learn everything from Google and Youtube, it's no wounder you think the stuff they are teaching you are levels ahead...

Pro has grossly exaggerated everything and used bias claims to defend faulty assertions.
Posted by atoy120 3 years ago
atoy120
spelling dosent matter in comments. probably the last time u went to school was kindergarten where all u learn is the alphabet. and I already know all the stuff I need for the type of job I want
Posted by donald.keller 3 years ago
donald.keller
"whens the last time u learned something useful in school"
Should be...
"When's the last time you learned something useful in school." Like I said... Bad spelling.

Last time I went to school. I learned something everyday. I got a 1.3 g.p.a.. Your grades don't mean anything, how much you actually learn does. You can copy/paste everything and not learn any of it. You can whine your a$$ off about how much you hate school, and the saddest part is knowing you are going to blame school when you fail at life because you can't handle having to get off your games and work for a living.
Posted by atoy120 3 years ago
atoy120
What spelling? and im not immature. And I don't suck at at school I got a 92 average for all my classes, I think school is a waste of time. whens the last time u learned something useful in school
Posted by donald.keller 3 years ago
donald.keller
Your spelling and immaturity. You only want school gone because you suck at it.
Posted by atoy120 3 years ago
atoy120
Its true most teachers don't care, all they want is money, and you know it. Also schools shouldn't be paid by state test scores because its not gonna help the terrible that some people have to go to, so all schools should be paid the same. AND WHAT DO YOU MEAN I HAD INVALID ARGUMENTS, THEY WERE BETTER THAN URS
Vote Placed by RedMoonlight 3 years ago
RedMoonlight
atoy120donald.kellerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Ahhh for a minute there I actually expected an interesting case from Pro. Big mistake. Maybe if he valued school more he'd know how to debate.
Vote Placed by Mikal 3 years ago
Mikal
atoy120donald.kellerTied
Reasons for voting decision: This was a easy win for Con. Pro tried to briefly assert that you don;t need school to in order to do (x). Con shot these claims down abruptly.