ConserativeDemocrat
Lavaguava

School should be shortened or there should be less homework

ConserativeDemocrat

Pro

This debate will be on whether schools should be shortened or give less homework. I believe that schools should either be shortened, or give less homework.

Rules:
1) Cite sources if asked
2) No trolling
3) No Forfeiting
4) Use proper spelling and grammar
5) Breaking the rules or breaking the sructure equals a DQ

Structure
1) Acceptance only
2) First arguments
3) Rebuttals
4) Response to rebbutals
5) Conclusion
Lavaguava

Con

My greetings, ConservativeDemocrat. I believe we share common ground, both attending secondary school. I attend in the United Kingdom. This does place us both in a difficulty due to differentiation of test structure, mine the GCSE, yours the American equivalent.

Begin.
ConserativeDemocrat

Pro

Thank you for accepting.

#1: Sleep
Teenagers have a hard time falling asleep before 11:00-12:00, which is fine, but most high schools and middle schools start at around 7:00-8:00. This means that in order to get to school on time, they will have to forfeit the sleep time that they need. Lack of sleep can cause illness, heart problems, increases your risk for cancer, makes it hard to think, makes you forget things, increases the risk of becoming obese, increases the risk of diabetes, makes you accident prone, and you actually look worse. We do not want teenagers to have all these negative health effects, so school should start later, at 9:00. Administratrators also should not add on time at the end of the day.

#2: Not enough time to relax.
Many teenagers have an after school activity, then they eat, then they have homework, and then it's bed. Kids dislike this because they are exhausted after school and their activity,
Many teens therefore stay up later or get up earlier, which as shown above, is bad.

#3: Disinterest
With school being so long and homework being piled on, many teens become disinterested in school, which is bad as that could lead to unemployment.

I will post more arguements later.
Lavaguava

Con

I will also open with arguments, I would provide rebuttals immediately however you state "First arguments only".

Firstly, the grading of pupils:

People are lazy, they will not do work unless motivated, in this case the motivation is a negative consequence should they disrespect the rules and ignore the deadlines. This usually involves a combination of shouting and detention. I take a statistic from my own class, a resistant material A*-C grade achievement was stated in class to be from sixty to seventy percent nation wide, while in my class it was slightly below average. Just over half of the pupils nationwide achieved a pass in this chosen subject, unacceptable. Only two people out of the entire class achieved an A grade last year, of two classes of twenty. The more information known the higher the test result, had the pupils known more information, had more practice and took more care in their work, they would have received a higher mark.

Distinction:

This follows on from my above point. By receiving a high homework load, the intelligent are picked out from the less-so. Those who may complete their homework even when pressure is high show a characteristic highly desirable to universities and employers, perseverance. I personally have never failed to complete a piece of homework, I have only ever handed in two pieces of homework late and this was due to the fact that I had left them in folders at home. I know how the prospect of a weekend of work feels, this is small in comparison to the possibility of employment within McDonald's for the remainder of my existence.

High loads of homework and school work may be taxing, however by completing them you show that you are able to handle this. You may choose to not complete them, think to yourself, how would they do this? Force your hand across the page? It is your choice whether you do them or not, you are however far less likely to get a grade and thus a job. You are given homework and high loads of school work for your own good, sleep and "Call of Duty" will not teach you how to solve simultaneous equations involving a linear and quadratic.

I wish to rebut potentially all three of your round one points in round two, at the very least your first point.
ConserativeDemocrat

Pro

ConserativeDemocrat forfeited this round.
Lavaguava

Con

Lavaguava forfeited this round.
ConserativeDemocrat

Pro

Lavaguava

Con

Lavaguava forfeited this round.
ConserativeDemocrat

Pro

Lavaguava

Con

This is the sum total of the argument? I was hoping that you would reply at least once. If you would like to continue the debate, please do not hesitate to initiate a new one.

Lavaguava
Posted by Lavaguava 1 year ago
Lavaguava
I will not continue to argue until you do so.
Posted by ConserativeDemocrat 1 year ago
ConserativeDemocrat
I will post my links in the first round. I was out of time so I rushed
Posted by Lavaguava 1 year ago
Lavaguava
Good
ConserativeDemocrat
I am
Posted by Lavaguava 1 year ago
Lavaguava
Please compile your argument.
Posted by asi14 1 year ago
asi14
are kritiks allowed?