John95
TheRussian

School should prepare you for life, not tests.

TheRussian
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

John95

Pro

School has become a playground for tests. Do those tests reflect the real world? Not in the slightest.
TheRussian

Con

Could my opponent please describe how he would like for school to prepare him for life?
John95

Pro

School should emphasize life skills, such as how to find a house, pay off mortgages, make payments on loans, and other such skills. These skills also include cooking your own meals, doing your own laundry, and house cleaning skills, such as how to clean bathrooms, kitchens, and other such stuff. This is what school should emphasize, not tests.
TheRussian

Con

"School should emphasize life skills, such as how to find a house, pay off mortgages, make payments on loans, and other such skills"
These things can be taught/learned in under a week. You do not need years of schooling to learn this.

"These skills also include cooking your own meals, doing your own laundry, and house cleaning skills, such as how to clean bathrooms, kitchens, and other such stuff. This is what school should emphasize, not tests."
The skills my opponent mentions above are things that you learn through out your life through parents and experience. School should not need to teach you how to clean a toilet. There are, in fact, classes that teach these things, but in my opinion are a waste of time because the things that I learned in that class in a year, I could have learned by myself at home in a week.

Tests are a way of showing a person's knowledge on a subject and their work ethic.

Tests provide of a level of knowledge that must be achieved by the end of a school year, pushing people to work hard and train their time management.

If there were no tests and the things that my opponent mentions would be taught instead, we would still be in the Stone Age because no one would be educated enough or interested in learning about more important things such as science.

Personally, I find my opponent's points a bit silly because as I have said, all of the things my opponent mentioned can be learned in a very short period of time. There is no need to spend years in school learning them.
John95

Pro

Thank you, Con. Granted, your points are extremely valid, but what I am trying to say is that school should at least begin with a foundation in these skills because when you "exit" the "sheltered" world of school, what will have to be confronted? The real world, where you won't get second chances to correctly learn and show proficiency in these skills. After these life skills are taught, then the student(s) can progress to "higher-order" skills, such as science, math, english, and other such things. I would also suggest that these life skills be reviewed from time to time, in tests that reflect the conditions of the real world.

I await your response.
TheRussian

Con

"The real world, where you won't get second chances to correctly learn and show proficiency in these skills."
The skills my opponent mentioned (laundry, for example), are very basic and I don't think you need to be "proficient" in them to be successful in the real world. Of course you get second chances! Messed up, try again! You tried cooking food, but it tasted bad? You can try again, I don't see the problem.

"After these life skills are taught, then the student(s) can progress to "higher-order" skills, such as science, math, english, and other such things."
As mentioned, the skills my opponent speaks of are generally learned at home, when the child is in elementary school. Schools do not need to spend time teaching kids how to clean when this is already taught at home. Even if the parents do NOT teach the child these things at home, they can be learned in 10 mins and practiced every time something needs to be cleaned.

"I would also suggest that these life skills be reviewed from time to time, in tests that reflect the conditions of the real world."
As I said above, these things would already be reviewed every time it comes up (for example, every time you need to do the laundry) and school does not need to spend time reviewing these skills. Also, why would there need to be test? Why would school test kids on how well they do laundry, clean the kitchen and cook?

In conclusion, school is teaching what it should. A child's parents can easily teach the pupil how to clean and do laundry, but may not be able to teach a child biology, french, or calculus. An educational institution would be wasting its time if it taught these basic life skills.

In fact, who would most likely be more successful? Someone who is good in biology but is clueless when it comes to doing his laundry? Or someone who is a pro at laundry but does not know the structure of a cell? This is a simplified exaggeration, but it is obvious that the person more educated in "higher-order" things would be more successful. This further supports my point that school should not be wasting its time teaching kids these basic things.
John95

Pro

John95 forfeited this round.
TheRussian

Con

I have nothing to refute.
John95

Pro

John95 forfeited this round.
TheRussian

Con

Once again, I have nothing to refute.

Thank you for the debate.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 3 years ago
9spaceking
John95TheRussian
Who won the debate:-Vote Checkmark
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by FuzzyCatPotato 3 years ago
FuzzyCatPotato
John95TheRussian
Who won the debate:-Vote Checkmark
Reasons for voting decision: FF, Con proved unneeded.