School should start later (Rematch)

(Notice: This is a rematch. carriead20 blitzkrieged (is that right?) last time.)

Same as last time, but this time read this.

There is actually a good argument for this. If school starts even one hour later, children would have more sleep and therefore would be more awake in class, and being awake will improve concentration.

Okay, I accept. Yes that is right although the "technical" term for it is "final round blitzkrieg".

I have no excuse for what I did and appreciate the oppurtunity to make up for my mistakes.

You say more sleep however there is one important fact you forgot. If teens can get up later then they are more than likely to got to bed later. I can see why you say teens need a lot of sleep but if you stay the same then it teaches their minds to get up for work unlike starting later.

They aren't really more likely to go to bed later if they get up later as long as they have parents who will make them go to bed and go to sleep earlier. Yes, staying the same could teach their mind to get up for work, but what if they have a job that starts in the afternoon (for example, a night shift as a security guard), or at 6 AM (for example, some teachers, or if they have work a few hours away)?

Just because a parent said that their child has to go to bed doesn't mean that the student will. More often than not the child sneaks out of the house, I've been guilty of doing so on more than one occasion. Their are too many what if's about that statment.

School days beginning after 8 a.m. have many benefits for students, especially those in middle and high school, according to Psychology Today. These benefits include better academic performance, fewer absences and even improved health. However, early start times do have some advantages that may be worth considering. Students who begin earlier have more time for after-school jobs and activities; schools may benefit by saving some money; and parents might find that an early start works better with their schedules.

While studies show there are academic advantages to later start times for adolescents, schools that begin early in the day still can excel academically. According to an article in the Baltimore Post-Examiner, Montgomery County Public Schools in Maryland has 30 high schools, and the three ranked highest by U.S. News and World Report for college readiness and algebra and English proficiency all begin classes at 7:25 a.m. Starting the day early also means more time for after-school tutoring and that student-athletes miss fewer classes to travel to after-school competitions.

More Time for Activities

A 2001 study showed that school administrators cited extracurricular activities as a major reason why high school campuses would rather start earlier in the day. Sports needing to practice outdoors have more daylight, and students walking home from these activities can take advantage of the extra daylight for their safety. In some cases, students may need to travel, and an early start and release may mean more time in the evening for homework and family. High school students also have more time for after-school jobs.

Transportation Costs

Schools may also be able to save up to 30 percent on transportation costs by starting some campuses early and staggering start times within the district. This method saves money by allowing drivers to run more than one route at a time, so fewer buses and drivers are needed. Lubbock ISD in Texas is anticipating saving more than 1 million dollars by utilizing start times prior to 8 a.m. at some campuses. Suffolk Public Schools in Virginia estimates that by starting some campuses at 7:25 a.m. they will be able to save around $680,000 a year. This schedule also means shorter bus rides for students and less time sitting in traffic.

Better for Parent Schedules

There are specific advantages for parents if younger grades have early start times. Starting school early may eliminate the need for morning childcare if parents are able to drop off their kids before work. They may drop them off at a center that buses them to their campus later in the morning. After school, the daycare picks up the students and parents retrieve their children in the evening from the center. This is necessary for some parents to have time to travel to work, especially if they have a longer commute.

(Yay no final round blitzkrieg)

Not all children sneak out of the house. There's goody-goodies too, and they wouldn't sneak out of the house.

You said there were multiple benefits for school days beginning after 8 AM. I agree with that. But with the "more time for after school jobs" where I live under-16 teens can't work before 7 AM so they wouldn't be able to earn any money before school either.

"While studies show there are academic advantages to later start times for adolescents, schools that begin early in the day can still excel academically." Well, I bet there's at least one school that starts at 7:25 AM that doesn't excel academically.

In the "More time for activities" paragraph, it mentions high schools. What about elementary schools (or primary schools as we call them in Britain)? And again, what I said earlier about the jobs.

I'm not going to take up any more of this debate. I think you get my gist by now. All I can say is, good luck! You have argued well.

carriead20 forfeited this round.
Posted by carriead20 1 year ago
Sorry about that, I couldn't get on to post my conclusions.
Posted by mentalist 1 year ago
I would argue that such a decision would counteract the intention of the current school schedule...(i.e. get the children in school in time for their parents to work.