Brooki1998
kzang151

School should start later?

Brooki1998

Pro

Medical studies show that teens need 8.5 to 9.5 hours of sleep. I have no clue how old you are but as being a teenager, I can tell you that many students don't go to bed before midnight or even one. Now the reason is not because they don't want to go to sleep, it's simply because they have a ton of homework and most are athletes. so the athletes have practice, homework, and have to eat at some point. Then they are expected to go to bed by midnight? Then they have to get up by at least 6:30 am. I bet you could barely do that. Honestly, school has changed since you adults were in school. we have higher expectations and a ton more homework. Even my parents think its ridiculous, the amount of homework, that is. As stated in a study "Early to bed, early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise," said Ben Franklin. But does this adage apply to teens? Research in the 1990s found that later sleep and wake patterns among adolescents are biologically determined; the natural tendency for teenagers is to stay up late at night and wake up later in the morning." So as of the 1990s scientists have realized that teens naturally go to bed later and wake up later. I know you will probably "There are some studies that say kids should be fine with the amount of sleep they are getting." but let me tell you something, The amount of studies that have been done and the outcome being, school should start later, also have shown that schools that start later than 8:30 am, show more students actually attending, the depression rate decrease, reduced absenteeism, better grades, reduced risk of drowsy driving, and reduced risk of metabolic and nutritional deficits associated with insufficient sleep, including obesity. You can't really over rule studies that prove school should start later. Some schools start before 7:45 am. I don't understand how people can say "We have to get up early to go to work, it doesn't kill us" Well sorry to burst your bubbles but studies also show that adults fall asleep earlier and get up earlier than teens. "Well we had to get up early for school, why can't you guys" BECAUSE TIMES HAVE CHANGED. I hope some of you see where I'm coming from.
kzang151

Con

I see where you are coming from, however, I have no choice but to disagree with you, and I do not think that school should start later. First off, a major point, transportation would be affected. If school started later, school routes would need to be changed due to traffic, and bus drivers may not be available. It could be very costly for transportation, and would overall hurt the schools.
Second off, after-school activities would be affected. We all know us students enjoy our time after school, and my schedule is packed from the moment I get home from school. If we went to school later, it would affect our ending time, and could possibly limit the amount of time we have for after-school activities.
Next, Stress for families could be increased. It may be easier for them to get their kids to school earlier due to not having to work. If school started at a later time, the students may not be able to get to school, due to their parents working. As you have stated, sleep is beneficial for students, but I see no reason for the kids to go to sleep earlier to get the amount of sleep they need. If you understand correctly, school starts in most areas at around 8:00 EST, giving plenty of time for rest, and waking up. I see no reason for school to start later.
Brooki1998

Pro

So I understand where you are coming from and it's not like I'm saying "Start school at 11 am" I'm saying it would be beneficial to start around 9:00. As you stated transportation may be in issue. A solution that may be implemented is a shift to public transportation for older students. In many cases, the public bus routes are similar to yellow bus routes, and can be used by students. Many districts have found they can actually save money by buying students bus passes and eliminating a large portion of their yellow bus fleet. I don't think anyone would have a problem with their child riding public buses as long as the school provides the permits. Most teens also drive to school. so it's not that big of a deal either. You had also mentioned after-school activities, while the testing schools have said "The practices may run a little later, school is first priority, also we wouldn't let practice go past an hour to an hour and a half". There are 44 out of the 50 states have several schools testing later start times. Alabama, Phenix City have been sending the early grades to school 45 minutes later and middle and high school students an hour and 15 minutes later starting in fall, the superintendent says the later start time for older students is an effort to increase student success. Which he later said "The later start time has resulted in better grades and more teen attending school on a regular basis.". What I'm trying to say is that teens can choose to stay a bit later and do sports and after-school activities if they want to. they will not run to awfully late. Also with parents working, kids (in grade school) wouldn't have to have a schedule change. It's called melantonin. So, in adolescents it's released around 12 o'clock. In children, it's released around 8 or 9 o'clock. So, an adolescent is not going to sleep before then as much as you try, So only the teens would need later start times, which they would have access to the public buses and their own cars. If school is starting at 8, and teens don't go to bed until after midnight, that means they are getting less than the recommended amount of sleep. Which is extremely unhealthy. Also as far as stress goes, with ample time to prepare its not that hard to adjust to the little change. Making sure your kids are awake before you go to work, thats really easy, or even just giving them a few calls when they should be awake. For every action there is an opposite and equal reaction. (Sorry for bringing Science into this) The action of starting later in the day end with students more willing to attend and being more successful. I don't see the BIG issue with classes starting a bit later.
kzang151

Con

kzang151 forfeited this round.
Brooki1998

Pro

Brooki1998 forfeited this round.
kzang151

Con

kzang151 forfeited this round.
Posted by Brooki1998 1 year ago
Brooki1998
Well DebatingPolitics97. you are 15 and homescholed. I am 17 and homeschooled. Im sure you get more then an average of 3 hours of sleep. STUDIES have shown that teens need at least 8.5 to 9.5 hours of sleep to functional properly. I have no clue where you are getting your facts. This all sounds like opinion to me. Also STUDIES have shown that teens seem to fall asleep during early morning classes. so i have no clue where you are getting that. Athletes can't just change their schedule. I was an athlete, its not like you can just leave practice whenever you want to. I'm taking my junior and senior year together so i probably do twice as much as you. which means I'm doing four times more than public school students? I find that a lie. also medicine such as: Zolpidem (Ambien), Eszopiclone (Lunesta), Temazepam (Restoril), Lorazepam (Ativan), Mirtazapine (Remeron), Amitriptyline, Trazodone (Oleptro) all help you sleep more seemingly. So you should ask a doctor about those. Just because you have a sleeping problem doesn't mean everyone does. so they are use to less then 6 hours. you can't say "Kids my age and older should probably have about 6 hours of sleep". Maybe teens that have a sleeping issue can live with that, but its not healthy. If you were wondering I'm going this for a debate class for my home schooling program. I use to be in public school. So i know i little more than you. :P
Posted by DebatingPolitics97 1 year ago
DebatingPolitics97
Also, many children, as studies have shown, focus better the earlier in the day it is. So starting later in the day is not a good option. Really these kids need to learn more and have less time being shown how to do stuff while they fall asleep in classes and actually DO more! I literally do more than TWICE that of an average high school senior does in a public school and i am home schooled! The only thing pubic schools do correctly is their early starting times.
Posted by DebatingPolitics97 1 year ago
DebatingPolitics97
hahahaahahahah as a fifteen year old i have been getting to bed around 11;00 pm and every day i am up at 5;30 am and i am home schooled but i also suffer from insomnia so i get about 3 hours of sleep on average. :P so i am a bit odd for this argument but i can say that many kids about my age and older should probably have about 6 hours of sleep. I have functioned on 3-6 hours of sleep for two years .... so i think that most people older than me can deal with it. If an athlete has a problem with his schedules and times then that athlete can either quit or suck it up and deal with it :P I have dealt with lack of sleep for 6 years so they really do not have a problem they can complain about.